Fuel for a B model

Wondering if anyone out there has a good recommendation for the right fuel or fuel additive. I just picked up a ‘64 B81 and I’m thinking the low sulfur fuel my regular fleet runs on won’t work for this truck. Am I better off using high sulfur off road fuel, or is there an additive to use. 

Thanks 

Welcome to the forums.

I use typical LSF at the pump on my truck.  I do dump in some Power Service  Diesel Kleen every few fill ups to give it some added nutrients.  Haven't had any issues in the last 15 yrs.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Just burns cleaner with low sulfur.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

This is the deal: ULSD is the only diesel fuel available for purchase in the United States, both on and off-road. In 2007, on-road sulfur content was reduced from 500 ppm to 15 ppm, and off-road followed suit in 2011. By 2014, all exeptions/exceptions (rail road, small refineries) were required to meet ULSD standards. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic since I suffered a problem other day.  The old B model boom truck decided it wasn't going to fire up one morning. Little investigating - rack in pump was stuck. No problem - little pecking and prying and it should come loose, right? Nope, required more investigating (ripping off right fender) and got good look at pump with side cover off. Number 5 plunger was stuck up. To shorten the story, my pump man allows that a plunger stuck in up position can bind up the rack. First time I ever had a plunger stuck, most likely due to DDF (damn dry fuel). So all these expensive additives you guys are talking about, what about 1 quart of cheap Rural King hydraulic oil per 50 gallons of fuel? Too much or too little?  Yep it might add a little more carbon but a couple hours at 70 mph ought to blow most of it out. There is quite a few old diesels with in line pumps around this place so I need to add something to fuel. 

Everybody jump in and give me your opinions, please!

Over & out from Ignorant Ridge  

• Like 1

Give it a try.  

I have heard folks that have dumped small amounts of their waste oil into the fuel for disposal reason as well as lubrication.  Also heard some old timers use ATF in their fuel but don't anymore because of the red color.  No need to have that discussion with your local DOT officer if he is curious why you are using off road diesel on "his" highway.

Adding Power Service does add a little money to the fuel bill.  I look upon that as paying for their research time on the issue.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I do not use much diesel but when I do my annual fill up in my MH I stop at a local farm co-op who sells 50 cetane diesel with additives already in it. They call it Super Gold premium and their price is good. Supposedly usual diesel fuel is 40 cetane.

• Like 1

The Power Service I use is like $10 for  the quart(good for 100 gal) at Autozone.  I use it about every other fill up or so.  Not a real budget breaker in my opinion.  I typically spend $100-150 to fill up depending on where I went, so another $10 every other time isn't bad.

Larry

I use the same additive as JHANCOCK but my units also have DAHL/Baldwin  water separators  in line, takes a lot of potential issues out of the picture.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

9 hours ago, Freightrain said:

The Power Service I use is like $10 for  the quart(good for 100 gal) at Autozone.  I use it about every other fill up or so.  Not a real budget breaker in my opinion.  I typically spend $100-150 to fill up depending on where I went, so another $10 every other time isn't bad.

I have heard some good things about Power Service, but I don't have any experience with it. $10 isn't very expensive.

Thanks for all the replies!! Has anyone pulled a sample of their fuel after mixing Power Service to see if you can feel any lubricity  to the mixture. I need to do this test myself after adding hydraulic oil. Back in my pup days, if you got fuel on hands, you couldn't get it off - just spread it around more. Now you can wash hands in fuel and wipe it off ( I don't think rags are any better now).

If I remember in morning, I'll try adding oil to see if it feels any different. Then, in the words of Willie Cunningham (Cincinnati radio joker} - "I'll give you a full report"

If you want to get the fuel smell off you.....just dip your hands in old gear lube!!!  That stuff stays with you for weeks!!! Lol!

I should still have enough fuel in tank to dip some and see if it sticks around.  I ran it down pretty low the last trip because I knew it was going to sit for six months in the garage.  I can't think it will be any better then new gas.  You can't keep that from evaporating before you fill the mower!

Larry

I put 4 ozs. of ISO 32 hydraulic in 5 gallons of ag fuel this morning. It seems to be a little slicker. Also put 1/2 oz. of 405-C conditioner in 5 gallon and didn't feel much difference BUT application rate for that stuff is 1 gallon per 3000 gallons fuel. So I didn't expect to tell such difference.

My  uncle  told  me  of  the  ATF  trick , back  in  the  '70's. Never  tried  it . Like  some  of  the  other  guys, I use  Power  Service with  the  ULSD  Bio-Diesel  blend   (about  all  we  can  get  at  the  stations  in  the  Northern  Illinois  area). Seems  to  do  the  job. You  can  get  the  non  bio  blend  from  fuel  distributors  around  here, if you  have  a bulk  tank. I have  noticed  that  I  lose  my  prime  in  the  fuel systems  on  the  old  trucks , if  I  don't  start 'em  for  a  while. Don't  know  if  it's  the ULSD ,or  just  the  age  of  the  trucks ?      Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA