Trying to Convert R model to Hub Pilot

alex g

I'm wanting to change my steer axle on my 88 R model to Hub Pilot. I called local parts dealer Traction and they say it won't convert. I then called local Mack dealer and they told me same thing. I'm hoping someone has had some luck with this and would appreciate any input before I give up hope. My front hubs are 89032-R 

23 hours ago, ws721 said:

Try Global truck here in N.H.603 239 7008. They have a kit to sell to do what your looking for

I called Global talked to Don he was extremely helpful. He said they don't ship to Canada but was good enough to give me parts numbers I needed. Steer axle hubs are 10082201 Conmet brand. I was able to order them from local parts place along with drums and shoes.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, m16ty said:

I guess I have to ask why?

Old style stud pilot parts are harder to come by and more expensive here. Stud pilot drums are $500  hub pilot are $150 for extra cost to change hubs it pays for itself in long run. Also my old rims are approx 30 years old I can upgrade those as well for safety reasons.

• Like 2

Old style stud pilot parts are harder to come by and more expensive here. Stud pilot drums are $500  hub pilot are $150 for extra cost to change hubs it pays for itself in long run. Also my old rims are approx 30 years old I can upgrade those as well for safety reasons.

You are not kidding about the front drums.

I priced some front stud pilot drums and they were about 5 bills, ended up finding a set of nice used ones

23 hours ago, Superdog said:

put hub pilot hubs from a '93 CH VIN # CH613-020817 onto a '87 R688 VIN #  R688- 018238 .

Thanks for the info Superdog I'm gonna order new for front and see if I happen to find a used set at wreckers later. Around here it's not easy to find any at wreckers unless you happen to be there and find them yourself.

Just now, alex g said:

Thanks for the info Superdog I'm gonna order new for front and see if I happen to find a used set at wreckers later. Around here it's not easy to find any at wreckers unless you happen to be there and find them yourself.

A used set for my drives I mean. I'd eventually like to do complete truck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2018 at 4:01 AM, alex g said:

I was getting bad mileage out of my steer tyres. Would be flat out getting 80,000kms from them and that was pushing it. Rotated them every time I serviced it. 

I replaced the rims and straight away I’m up to 120,000km. 

I’d be interested to see if you get better wear with the new rims. 

• 4 weeks later...

I asked Andy and Rich at Associated Truck Parts in Warminster, PA about swapping to bud hubs earlier this year. They told me just get them inner and outer wheel bearing numbers and theyll look up which hub it gets. Made it sound like it was easy as cake. All our trucks are spoke hubs. One man brake jobs are a nightmare. Buds you don't have to pull the hub, brake drum goes on the wheel studs. We only run a 15-20 mile radius from our shop, (concrete delivery company) so we never have to do a roadside tire swap, and we plan brake jobs when we're both around to slide the hub off on the car jack. I used our harbor freight trans jack last time, it worked surprisingly well. Could be an alternative to swapping hubs.