Always trust your GPS even if your eyes don't

41chevy

On 5/21/2018 at 4:39 PM, j hancock said:

Idiots!

I told them to make the soda delivery to Cressy Beach in Gloucester! 

Nobody listens these days....  I was really thirsty too.

For a Pepsi on the beach?

i use my gps to read road names before i can read the signs i plan my routes off a paper map then just have my gps turned on but not in navigation mode. that way you can see what streets/highways are coming up from 2 miles away. 

• Like 2

You guys are cracking me up!The first time I delivered in the S Bronx I bought one of those 12.00 NYC maps(an inch thick) best 12.00 I ever spent! They even have the name of each business on the buildings! Having some knowledge of Miami,I get a set of directions on the qualcom,"that sounds like it's in the ocean I think" It was! I get a set of directions to a customer in Ohio and I follow it to the letter.I get to the receiver and he's standing in front of his building and there is a set of RR tracks three feet above grade with no crossing between me and him! Had to go five miles around the block to get to his location! I carried a truckers atlas(for the scales) and a cheapo road atlas for everyday use. 

• Like 1

You guys are cracking me up!The first time I delivered in the S Bronx I bought one of those 12.00 NYC maps(an inch thick) best 12.00 I ever spent! They even have the name of each business on the buildings! Having some knowledge of Miami,I get a set of directions on the qualcom,"that sounds like it's in the ocean I think" It was! I get a set of directions to a customer in Ohio and I follow it to the letter.I get to the receiver and he's standing in front of his building and there is a set of RR tracks three feet above grade with no crossing between me and him! Had to go five miles around the block to get to his location! I carried a truckers atlas(for the scales) and a cheapo road atlas for everyday use. 

I used to do city work in Los Angeles and Orange County in the 80s carried Thomas bros road maps they were the cats ass back then they even told you witch side the on ramps were on ...excellent this is mowerman ....only way I can figure out how to get on here now with my phone loll ...bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Ezrider said:

i use my gps to read road names before i can read the signs i plan my routes off a paper map then just have my gps turned on but not in navigation mode. that way you can see what streets/highways are coming up from 2 miles away. 

If more people were like you and used technology to AID them and not be solely dependent on it we'd be far better off. Anymore no one sees the value in learning things and remembering them because they can just look it up on a phone. 

• Like 2

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

9 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

If more people were like you and used technology to AID them and not be solely dependent on it we'd be far better off. Anymore no one sees the value in learning things and remembering them because they can just look it up on a phone. 

a lot of my routes may seem a little illogical at first glance but it will be shortest miles while avoiding certain stretches or load restricted roads or other things like that. trying to get the gps to route you properly can be near impossible. esp in the spring time with frost law restrictions all over the place. 

i do like the google maps/google earth app on the phone for getting into my final destination if its somewhere iv never been. you can punch in the address then go to earth view and 1 make sure the address on the bol matches on the map to where your be unloading sometimes google will think a address is 4-5 miles away in the middle of a corn field also give you a bit more visual reference of how your going to get in and out if the entrance is actually off the next street over ect. or sometimes they will put there address for there little dinky office in the middle of the town on the bol rather than where its actually delivering to. pretty sure they don't want 64,000 lbs of ammonium sulfate unloaded at there 800sq foot office in the middle of town. or like one time i had a 64,000 lbs load of road salt on and the address on the bol was a p.o box. pretty sure that load isn't going to fit there....lol

after iv done all that i call them and verify how to get in and out. i like to scope it out for myself on google earth before hand though because there directions can make a lot more sense when you have already kinda looked over the area. 

• Like 2

On 5/22/2018 at 11:33 AM, harrybarbon said:

people seem to forget, we all gain from modern technology, however when there are power failures or comms are out, and we had them recently, it was like the world stopped - supermarkets could not process sales people had to wait up to 1 hour to complete their shopping, cash machines stopped, fuel pumps stopped - people got stuck and they could not go back to a manual system - I was lucky to have enough cash to pay for my groceries, if not !!!! 

Yep, I remember when about everybody wrote out bills by hand when you picked up a load, now if the computers are down the plant comes to a standstill. I used to walk in the office on Friday and turn in my tickets for however many loads of chips I had hauled that week, and Mrs. Moore would take them, she always had a long cigarette dangling out of her mouth, and she'd get on that adding machine- the kind you had to put a roll of paper in, had a handle on the side that she'd pull every once in a while, and in just a few minutes she was writing me a check.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.