T2080

Rufino V

Direct..low..neutral..reverse

low is a vey low gear, use in 1st only

direct is normal 1-5

AND you get 5 speeds in reverse

in some applications, the main has to be in gear to run PTO, etc...that is why you can use the Neutral

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

7 minutes ago, Rufino V said:

Do you know any video where can I watch how to do the shifting, this is my first time driving a 1987 Mack truck

look at the shift diagram, if your going to use every gear,1st low, 2nd low, 3rd low, 1st hi, 2 hi, 3hi, 4th hi, and 5th hi, you can skip some gears in low range, but you almost always need them all in high range, this trans is always used with a 300 hp engine that is a low lugging engine.    terry:D

• 1 month later...

NO

On 2/5/2018 at 11:41 AM, j hancock said:

If you are running all the gears:  Start out 1L, 2L, 3L, then preselect "D", then 1D (fourth), 2D (fifth), 3D (sixth), etc...

Depending on conditions, you may not need to use one or more of the lower gears.

The shift pattern is below.

T2080B - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

4 hours ago, Rufino V said:

IS not like 1 L 1H 2L 2H 3L 3H 4L 4H 5L 5H ?

You do not the hi-lo like a splitter. If off road used proper low range gear, when on pavement put range in direct and shift the main 1-2-3-4-5 in that order.    terry:thumb:

13 hours ago, terry said:

You do not the hi-lo like a splitter. If off road used proper low range gear, when on pavement put range in direct and shift the main 1-2-3-4-5 in that order.    terry:thumb:

In the 2080 operation guide, Mack recommends not starting out higher than 3L (6.63).  The 5.24 ratio of 1H (fourth) is not practical to use for starting.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

8 hours ago, j hancock said:

In the 2080 operation guide, Mack recommends not starting out higher than 3L (6.63).  The 5.24 ratio of 1H (fourth) is not practical to use for starting.

I have driven the 6'7and 8speed in these trans,1st hi is plenty low to start on.    terry

If its the 8 speed

I recall I mostly started a heavy load in 2nd/low then a quick flip it into hi as I move the stick back into 1st.  I really disliked this trans because that when loaded you had to use the low side for at least 1 gear. starting out in 1st low and shifting up thru the gears was pointless.  when empty I think I would just run 1-2-3-4-5 in hi.  I liked the older 2 stick 6 speeds much better

probably a t2080 with a 300L. we had an 89 rd 690sx dump with that configuration. it topped out at 62 mph. it was geared so ridiculously low that you could start off in 5th gear while loaded. very slow truck with far to much space in high range gears being 5-6-7-8. first gear was useless as it barely got the truck moving. reverse was nice because you never had to feather the clutch. it has a unique shift pattern too. i used to start in 2nd and shift to 4th or 3rd and shift to 5th. the gears are way to close. i hated having the 300L and the mack 8 speed but i think it would be a great plow/sander configuration. i didn’t realize what i was buying.

• 4 weeks later...