1995 Ford F800

david wild

the cabs are close, but not quite the same. 

but yes a lund visor from a pickup will work. 

and they were availably with the 6.6 and 7.8 Ford six cylinders along with the Cat engines. 

Edited by tjc transport
  • Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

18 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Bob, I can’t recall, were the FT-8000s available with Ford’s 7.8, or just CAT’s 3208? They were an interesting attempt at a low-cost tandem dump chassis.

image 1.jpg

image 2.jpg

image 3.jpg

Mine looked just like the first photo except with a boom on the back. 3208, Allison 653 tandem. It would get you where you needed to go but you were always late.

5 hours ago, 66dc75 said:

oldfleet.jpg

olsfleet2.jpg

Nice Rich- and Kevin, per TJC  later on the Brazil  Ag Fords.  And as "1965" said even the  8.2 Fuel Pincher.  That I think was the first diesel offering in the F 8 series and in the end they even offered it while they were using 3208's.   the 3208's were F-8000's and if it was an 8.2 it was a 900.

Now if you really want to get into ancient history, in the 60's you could get a Cummins   C-180.  I think they were a 464 cu. inch 6 but that was in the old Super Duty cab-which was 800 and up.  The 750 and smaller mediums  used the "pick up" cab.

while they used a "pickup style cab" a pickup cab will not work with out modifications. 

different steering column position through the firewall, different cab mount holes, different pedal assembly, different wiring harness, and a few other differences. 

they can be made to work with about 5-6 hours modification though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Nice Rich- and Kevin, per TJC  later on the Brazil  Ag Fords.  And as "1965" said even the  8.2 Fuel Pincher.  That I think was the first diesel offering in the F 8 series and in the end they even offered it while they were using 3208's.   the 3208's were F-8000's and if it was an 8.2 it was a 900.

Now if you really want to get into ancient history, in the 60's you could get a Cummins   C-180.  I think they were a 464 cu. inch 6 but that was in the old Super Duty cab-which was 800 and up.  The 750 and smaller mediums  used the "pick up" cab.

Bob, I know "T" meant tandem (e.g. FT-8000), but what was the difference between an F-800, F-8000 and F-900 (there was no F-9000?).

2 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Bob, I know "T" meant tandem (e.g. FT-8000), but what was the difference between an F-800, F-8000 and F-900 (there was no F-9000?).

Correct on "T" designation.  F-800, gas-or 8.2.  F-8000, diesel- 3208 and then Ford 6's.  I don't think there ever was an F-9000.  There was an FT-900 and it was a 8.2 Detroit, with either a 34 or 38 rear but not gas.

It is amazing if you go on Ebay or Trucktrader and see the Ford listings with incorrect designations.  If you want to understand Ford's designation history, DO NOT use either of these two to verify your info!.  My memory is getting "old"-yuk yuk-so some stuff I remember but usually I go to archives and dig out what sales literature I might have.  Also the Wagner book is good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Correct on "T" designation.  F-800, gas-or 8.2.  F-8000, diesel- 3208 and then Ford 6's.  I don't think there ever was an F-9000.  There was an FT-900 and it was a 8.2 Detroit, with either a 34 or 38 rear but not gas.

It is amazing if you go on Ebay or Trucktrader and see the Ford listings with incorrect designations.  If you want to understand Ford's designation history, DO NOT use either of these two to verify your info!.  My memory is getting "old"-yuk yuk-so some stuff I remember but usually I go to archives and dig out what sales literature I might have.  Also the Wagner book is good.

Bob, did the FT-900 have a heavier frame than the F-800/FT8000, approaching or equal to a true Class 8?

11 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

Bob, did the FT-900 have a heavier frame than the F-800/FT8000, approaching or equal to a true Class 8?

Kevin-I do believe frames were same options-only difference was engine matched to appropriate transmission.  As to class 8, I would assume given GVW they were 8's.  then again when GM was building "mediums", you could get a GM tandem yet they never reported any class 8 sales.  How did THAT work?

You have an explanation?

No clue as to how Ford reported those sales-might be a good question for BON site.

So after some research there are those that claim the 5.9 is a dog but others seem to love them, my thought is if a dodge is great then a F8 with 5/2 set up would help the engine buzz along better, air brakes are a plus and a heavier chassis would last longer, need truck to pull gooseneck and pintle  hitch flat bed for light loads, sending a big truck out to pick up a couple thousand pounds does not seem economical, looked at dually pickup but it would not be as versatile as the F8 I think, any one have experience with the 5.9 12 valve.

Used to drive an F700 with the 5.9 and a 5/2. It was geared to run almost 80 mph on flat land but it was absolutely terrified of hills.My boss knew nothing about trucks so he got the lowest priced one at all times.

This one was a 26k gvw with juice brakes. Once the crane and toolboxes were mounted it weighed 25300 before I got in the cab. If you could get it rolling good it took 2 feet on the brake pedal and pulling up on the steering wheel for leverage to stop it in a hurry. He sent it out to have more leaves installed in the springs which was his fix for every truck they had. Pretty scary at times to drive but the 5.9 was pretty good.

a 5.9 powered F600 or larger truck is great. as long as you never put any weight in it. 

simply making it weigh 25k lbs to satisfy weight regulations as a crash attenuator truck will make it dangerous to pull out into traffic with. 

the 6.6 brazillian ford is way underpowered, and it is still a much better choice for an engine in a weight carying truck than the turd 5.9 is. 

Cummins formed an engine-building joint venture in China with major commercial truckmaker Dongfeng in 1996.

But Dongfeng actually began building B Series Cummins engines under license in 1986. Dongfeng put the 5.9 in everything, from medium trucks to heavy 4x2 and 6x4 tractors (it's all about gearing), and municipal transit buses.

Twenty years ago, all the city buses in the major cities had 5.9s.

The C Series entered production in 1996, with the forming of the 50/50 JV, and went on to be a big seller too, but not to the extent of the 5.9.

Dongfeng-Cummins JV website - Product page:   http://www.dcec.com.cn/product/list.aspx?cid=10202

Note: ISDe is the China market name for the 6.7-litre ISB.