No more Thomas the Tank Engine

41chevy

Thomas the Tank Engine is going international for a 2018 make-over

(one more victim of political correctness)

By Ben Dowell

New-look-Thomas-the-Tank-engine-a863c04.jpg.a8532c4f4e4e4e57f2c93281c38058cb.jpg

The engine is leaving Sodor and the show is abandoning the Liverpudlian narration. But we are getting two new female trains.

Thomas the Tank Engine is going into the sidings for an overhaul for the modern age. Out is going the much-loved theme tune and the Liverpool-accented narration – in are coming two new female trains for the TV series which has been renamed Thomas & Friends: Big World! Big Adventures!

The TV series, based on the books by Rev Wilbert Awdry, is being overhauled for a new generation according to toy giant Mattel which owns the format.

In the new, more politically-correct show, Thomas will leave his traditional home on the Island of Sodor for adventures abroad in stories that are being specifically designed to support the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals of quality education, gender equality, sustainable cities and communities, responsible non poluting consumption and production, and life on land.

The changes will be seen in 2018 when the new series hits our screens and look likely to be the biggest shake-up to the children’s favorite since the stories were first adapted for TV in 1984.

The Liverpool-accented narration – a tradition begun by Ringo Starr and continued by actors Michael Angelis and Mark Monaghan – will also “disappear” according to the Telegraph, as will the theme tune with its roll-call of engine names.

Toy giant Mattel has owned the format for the show since 2011. It is sold all over the world and translated into 33 languages, with the current incarnation, Thomas and Friends, shown on Channel 5 in the UK.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Don't worry about the Thomas Empire, it is a severe money making self marketing machine.... one of the dummy loco's visits my area annually, it is parked in the same building I rent, and the kids love Thomas.. and Thomas loves the parent's wallets....

they fill about 6+ passenger railcars 5-6 times a day for two weekends in a row, put the dummy Thomas loco up front and push it with a 3000hp diesel F9

going PC is just a good ploy for market expansion... what next?, a Barbie/Thomas trainset for six year old 'self chosen' girls.... :huh:

BC Mack

IMG_8724.JPG

16 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

So the Thomas I see on a dropdeck going done the roads not a functioning loco?   Now I'm even more sad.  

I think the only functioning loco is in the UK... I can't remember what the truck driver told me but I think he said there were three... or was it six.. of these dummy locos in N America, they have the contract to move them around... and they need to be pulled on/off the trailer which has a temporary rail set which is left here until pick-up...

BC Mack

IMG_8626.JPG

IMG_8697.JPG

IMG_8714.JPG

IMG_8718.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, BillyT said:

That does it I'm writing a letter to Sir Topemhat!😁 Seriously the best part of Thomas the train was the homespun innocence, kinda like a British "Peanuts" next the locomotive will be flying a damn rainbow flag!

Prob gonna have Target as a sponser for the show too.     There gonna be tearing one of the buildings  down so a Target can build a new store. Then the "customers" will complain about the noise from the trains.   Next thing we know no more steamers and electric trains will take over.  

• 2 weeks later...