R steering questions

Ill try and run out there Monday.    Not much on my trk is bolt on.  The R has the pump on the back of air compressor.   I don't think I have room for that my starter is there, and motor is tilted that way on b-67.     Was thinking belt drive pump above alternator.     I read where people on here said about using R model column and box on a B.   just curious.     They also have a 4300 IH transtar with 318 and air start setup.    Is there many diff air starters or are they all the same?

A very looooooong time ago, I tried mocking up an R box in a B-70 series and the top frame flange was going to need a good size notch and the lower frame flange would need to be heated and rolled down for clearance.  Frame mods and being very tight to the driver's side starter on this truck nixed the deal for me.

Somewhere I heard about using a Ford Louisville p/s box but don't recall any details.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

57 minutes ago, j hancock said:

A very looooooong time ago, I tried mocking up an R box in a B-70 series and the top frame flange was going to need a good size notch and the lower frame flange would need to be heated and rolled down for clearance.  Frame mods and being very tight to the driver's side starter on this truck nixed the deal for me.

Somewhere I heard about using a Ford Louisville p/s box but don't recall any details.

This R has the box mounted in front if the axle right behind radiator.  Where you trying to mount under the cab in the stock B location?      

I also read about using a ford box and all the ones I looked at had the straight rails and the box was mounted outside the frame.   

Kevin all has done this very conversion on 2 0r 3 trucks you want the early r box it is shorter. I think it would be a real sob to get the box in between the block and frame . I wanted power steering to help with my back problems and I didn't want air assist. I got a box off a mack firetruck and made up brackets and mounted it up front. I took a sliding  steering shaft from a freightliner and used the one end that fit the box and got a steering wheel and shaft out of a old r model and used the spline end that the wheel fits on because bs are larger and I wanted a smaller wheel. I then made a new steering  collum assm. I got a newer style air compressor with the flange for the pump. I mounted a vain pump on it I got off kevin. I had to make an adapter for the dipstick and make a mount for the tank. In the end it works with one finger standing still and I got a sharper turning radius. I own a machine shop/ welding shop so it was something I could do, if i had to bill for all that work a customer would shoot me. Good luck with your project.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davehummell said:

I own a machine shop/ welding shop so it was something I could do, if i had to bill for all that work a customer would shoot me. Good luck with your project.

Ain't that the truth.  If you have to pay to have this kind of stuff done this hobby gets REAL expensive.

I told the fellow I'm building this Willys for, he has it made.  He owns a fab shop, lasers, rolls, shears, powdercoating, etc.   He still has a small fortune in the car and it would be so much worse if he didn't have all this equipment at his disposal.   We just made some brackets for a/c on his one car.  I used an old 352 block and took to his shop.  We lasered out the brackets, made some pivot bushings, welded it and then powder coated it.  Presto-chango. 

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

23 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

Ill try and run out there Monday.    Not much on my trk is bolt on.  The R has the pump on the back of air compressor.   I don't think I have room for that my starter is there, and motor is tilted that way on b-67.     Was thinking belt drive pump above alternator.     I read where people on here said about using R model column and box on a B.   just curious.     They also have a 4300 IH transtar with 318 and air start setup.    Is there many diff air starters or are they all the same?

I have a a 65 B75 sitting on a R model frame. Who ever built it used the R steering column. Its looks like it was a PITA to install it as there is little room to work under the dash but it is much nicer than the stock B model  wheel. the

• Like 1

Any one ever look at or try the older Autocar /Diamond T Ross TAS65 box with a  push / pull slave cylinder on the drag link?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE