What in the world??

68-f-model

Can some one explain why this truck is set up this way?

It seems the dump bed should be longer.

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/hvo/6123648223.html

2001 MACK 7 AXLES, 435 HP, 18 FEET ALUMINUM BED, ELECTRIC TARP, 13 SPEED EATON TRANSMISSION, 46,000 POUND REARS, ALUMINUM WHEELS, LED LIGHTS ALL AROUND, IT'S A MACK FACTORY DUMP TRUCK.
TRUCK IT'S READY TO WORK!!!

YOU MUST SEE IT!!!!

00f0f_cY0p9FPQeMT_600x450.jpg00j0j_9a8vkkB90Le_600x450.jpg00i0i_33HJsSRTxsO_600x450.jpg

it is in west virgina.   I can understand the weight distribution with all the axles.  But why not make use of the long frame  with a equally long  dump box.    I guess it plays into the bridge laws some how.   It still  seems odd and a tire eating monster.

the bigger the box, the heavier the truck. 

the way it is set up now is to give proper axle weight for box size. a bigger box, would make it overweight.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I'll never forget I saw a seven axle rig like that years ago in Virginia, asked the driver how much can you haul with all those axles, he said "18 ton"?!?
That seems crazy to me too much trouble for 18 ton... When you can legally gross 80,000 lb. on 4 axles in NJ. States need to get together on their configurations​.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Outbehindthebarn said:

How about this crazy set-up?

IMG_0452.JPG

Tire inflation set up. The Scannia you looked at had the same thing.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 minute ago, 41chevy said:

Tire inflation set up. The Scannia you looked at had the same thing.

Yeah, there on 85% of the trucks there. Roads are pretty rough of the main highways.

• Like 1

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

1 minute ago, Outbehindthebarn said:

Yeah, there on 85% of the trucks there. Roads are pretty rough of the main highways.

The M917 dump I'm looking at has the U.S. DOD spec set up on it. I thing it's a good thing.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

8 hours ago, 68-f-model said:

Can some one explain why this truck is set up this way?

It seems the dump bed should be longer.

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/hvo/6123648223.html

2001 MACK 7 AXLES, 435 HP, 18 FEET ALUMINUM BED, ELECTRIC TARP, 13 SPEED EATON TRANSMISSION, 46,000 POUND REARS, ALUMINUM WHEELS, LED LIGHTS ALL AROUND, IT'S A MACK FACTORY DUMP TRUCK.
TRUCK IT'S READY TO WORK!!!

YOU MUST SEE IT!!!!

00f0f_cY0p9FPQeMT_600x450.jpg00j0j_9a8vkkB90Le_600x450.jpg00i0i_33HJsSRTxsO_600x450.jpg

Looks like it has 4 too many axles ....

While 7 axles is not all that common, but is not unheard of, and five or six axles are a pretty common set up in VA. It is also quite common to see the bodies placed several feet behind the cab in order to limit the weight on the front axle, not matter how many lift axles are used. These are known as "ton" trucks as you are payed by the net tons delivered versus the hourly rate most on-site trucks make.

It has been a lot of years since I pulled out of a quarry, (40 plus) but at the time the quarry would not allow you to leave if you were overweight on any axle. You had to go dump it and re-load. We loaded by pulling a chain that dumped material from a hopper. It was up to the driver to move the truck as it filled to keep the weight on each axle correct. The truck had 5 axles and netted about 20 tons if I remember correctly.

VA is very anal about weight laws and it is common for local sheriffs to use portable scales in addition to VA State Police enforcement. I know of at least one case where an absent home owner got a gift of several tons of gravel in their driveway as a way to avoid a portable scale set up just down the road.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 3 months later...

VA is very anal about weight laws and it is common for local sheriffs to use portable scales in addition to VA State Police enforcement.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty anal when they made me slide my trailer tandems to shift 120 lbs. at the scales on 81 just south of Winchester that time.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

OD, they let you slide your axles on 81? You got lucky I think! For years Va scales would give you 3 tries to get legal before they would "write you" Then in the late 2000s I heard you had to be legal when you pulled in! I was always legal so I never had a chance to test the so called "new rule" In the 70s I pulled a single axle car hauler  that would haul 2 big cab and chassis on top, up to F700 and a car on the headramp and a car or light truck in the belly. This truck was always " heavy" on the last axle in Virginia! The company just paid the ticket! The load usually went to Magic City Motors in Roanoke Va, so there was no good way around the scale! I agree Va is anal about weight! 120 lbs is a small person!  I've found that each state has a certain violation they concentrate on! Georgia is big on length, their kingpin length is 41ft I used to pull a spread axle drop deck, similar to ODs the last axle was 41'6" and the axles were fixed in place! The DOT man at the Hahira  scale told me "you know I could make you move that axle! Or have your trailer hauled away (decked) out of the state! He decided to fine my boss 110.00 instead!😁 

23 hours ago, other dog said:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty anal when they made me slide my trailer tandems to shift 120 lbs. at the scales on 81 just south of Winchester that time.

I've had to pull into the parking lot at the scales and either tap the brakes to get the wheat shifted one way or another to be legal. Also was helping a coworker at a scale try and slide his fifth wheel back with a load of cattle on. After fighting with it for an hour the scale master finally said just go. He didn't have crank up landing gear and we couldn't find enough 2x6's to drive up on to get the trailer high enough to drop the stiff legs and match up the pin holes. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

On 9/10/2017 at 2:53 PM, other dog said:

My M917 is 4 and 5/8 inches too wide per Va rules. I've been in the process for 3 weeks getting a V.S.P. and  VDMV Motor Carrier Enforcement for a waiver showing it can not be brought into compliance. Max is 102" I'm 106 5/8".  It's a "farm" truck

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE