1911 Mack Manhatten at Des Moines show

Billy Fleck, Herbie's son owns this.  The frame came from Carl Calvert in California.  The engine, as fxfymn points out, is from an early AB.  The transmission is an AC Mack 3 speed (early AC).  Billy found the id tag on ebay a couple years ago.  I believe the fellow in New Jersey with the wonderful collection of early Macks helped him with the solid tires.  The plan was to use a modern aluminum radiator to keep the engine cool, with a reproduction brass shell around it so you would not see the modern radiator.  Daley and Wanser  had one of these trucks in the early years of the moving company, but this is not the original truck.  Carl Calvert supplied drawings and sketches of the Mack Senior stage  they restored several years ago to help Billy with all this.  Billy did a great job figuring all this out, as a tribute to his family early years.

• Like 1

It's amazing how fast that truck came together, a couple of years ago it was a chassis with wheels. Herb brought it down to Florida where they could put more time into it. It was non running at Macungie last year and it didn't want to go back into the trailer, it fought back all the way in.

• Like 1

Very nice. I seen it at Macungie  last year also. It  has  come  a long  way  since then,for sure. It should  have been parked inside  at Des Moines, in my opinion. A treasure for sure!  Al  

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I was blown away, too, Superdog.  It's just amazing that that much iron escaped TWO world war scrap drives.  Disappointed to hear that the drivetrain isn't original.  Still pretty amazing, though.  Loved the extreme arch on the springs.  Talk about "parabolic"!  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Saw this at macungie this year and wow.... out of everything there this truck blew me away. So cool to see how things were built at that time. And I believe the guy I talked to said there were only 3 of these ever built but this was the only Cabover, the other two were conventional's ...here's some pics4076c6ef69f7dc9dbfd3e647f7a214d8.jpg63009544f19486fd428474fdfd0bca40.jpg19d8153cda99f76e21f5c2be8e1b99c2.jpgca9f04b2b2fdd459b99e0538eba7e3bc.jpg

• Like 1