Changing up my transmision in my 1988 R 690S

Casper1988

Hi All, I bought a 1988  R model tri-axle log truck recently with a Prentice 120 loader. Was a down south truck and clean compared to what you find up north here in New England. It has a 2070 Maxi torque 7 speed transmission. two lows and then direct five. Fourth to fifth is amazingly high jump (70mph all day ) I live in hill country and 4th direct is the max as I have delivered some loads already. Third is good but need a split gear between 3 and 4.  5.37 rears I believe, would it be cost prohibitive to put a 13 speed into this truck as I do plan on keeping it because it is rust free.  Does it bolt up if a Mack tranny is used? Thanks.

front end Mack.jpg

You can basically put any trans in you want if you have the right bellhousing. I have a 13 speed eaton/ fuller in mine. You'll probably have to shorten or lengthen driveshaft

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

i was in  the same situation as you    i had a t2080 mack tranny      3 lows and 5 highs    i had 573 rear gears     i went to an eaton 8ll  and had to switch my rears to 442 to maintain top speed      i like the difference       not such a big jump between gear changes   i had to shorten driveshaft a couple inches    i say go for it     its only money 

22 hours ago, Casper1988 said:

Terry, if top end is 55 with that tranny that would be ok. It's having the gearing on the back roads as this is not a highway truck. What might be a preferable transmission that you would consider in my situation.

Was you thinking a mack or fuller 13 spd? The mack is a triple countershaft , will take the lugging torque alot better than a twin countershaft fuller trans.   terry:D

• Like 1

Don't know how much you want to get involved , but I have a 7LL fuller an pair of Mack rears at 4:42 in heaver duty cast housings that came out from behind a 300 in my 87 superliner. Trans has pto on it and everything in good shape, came from Montana . 7LL same as 8LL ,just one less gear. And it has the hard to find bell housing on it! 

This is the kind of info I was looking for , Thanks all. I am gonna put some miles on it and see what is out there. My buddy has a newer Mack with 8LL in it with a 350 motor. Kinda curious what his rears are now. Third gear is ok for 35 or 40mph loaded, wondering about running the rpms above 1800 for pro longed times. How about getting more out of the pump, any adjustments there.

i talked to a guy in pennsilvania and he too had a early 90s dm tri axle dump that he switch out a mack 2070 and put in a 13 speed mack   he also changed from 573 gears down to 442     he said his guys love driving it now    said its like a new truck      i went with the eaton 8ll because     a   its cheaper     and   b   i had one in a parts truck    and   c    it has a lower gear ratio than the 13 speeds    mack or eaton       hope this helps

I really need to confirm my rear end ratio, I am new to this truck stuff. Been a logger / slash farmer for a long time but left the trucking part to friends. Logging today requires a truck to load trailers and get the wood utilization % up. Thats why I bought one. Always wanted a Mack anyways. I am really liking working on my truck. I was a mechanic in the Navy so big wrenches are just fine with me.

Just got off the phone with my local Mack dealer and he kindly ran the #s on my truck. Turns out the rears are a 502 ratio which should be a little better for top end if I go with a Mack 13 speed. Will this bolt up to my truck and I am thinking the drive shaft will be shorter as the 13 is I assume a longer transmission. Any good sources out there for Mack 13 speeds.

Just to make sure you can look on front rear just to left of input shaft there is a flat spot with numbers stamped in or punched dots with the ratio, you never know what has been changed. The drive shaft length might or might not need changed.    terry:D

• Like 2

keep in mind too that a 13 speed mack will not have as low of a low gear as the 2070 transmission      in my mind a 13 speed is more of a road tractor transmission      not sure how much you will be using it in the woods pulling out loads of logs      i have a mack book that shows the transmission ratios for all kinds of mack transmissions             and yes more than likely you will have to shorten driveshaft and redo your pto setup

Yes, I have two low holes and also start in low 2 and switch to direct 1 on the fly which works well.  Low one is a creeper for sure. Also nice having that low in reverse is nice to when backing up in tough spots. I guess now I should look at what these transmissions have for gearing and match them up to the 2070. The first 3 on the 2070 are great it's after that a few  more in hill country could be used. Lots of good info and it's making me think this out before I spend money. Thanks all.   Be nice to see those ratios Luke, anyway to scan and pm me.