Will this engine fit my truck?

I have a dilemma my superliner I'm restoring has a 300 plus engine which I did an in frame overhaul on last fall and has 0 miles on it what is a ball park figure as far as value? I have a line on a cat 3408 since this truck is going to be a parade truck and do shows the cat would be a much more impressive addition to the truck. I have also noticed the parts availability for the 3408 is much better and really not any more expensive and since the span of time I will own the truck it isn't going to be worked very hard. I'm not sure the 3408 will fit in between the straight frame rails of a Hayward built truck it is 998 cubic inches like a E9 so if the E9 fits the Hayward superliner the cat should also. Since this is totally funded by me for our veterans parades and to do shows the cost of the E9 wouldn't really be practical and a 866 really is harder to find parts for so thats my dilemma plus the fact I'm a glutton for punishment like I don't have enough to do on this truck to begin with. I was at the monthly meeting with the veterans group I'm affiliated with they were all excited about the engine transplant because the more wow factor the truck has the more our cause for the guys gets noticed and the fact I'm laid off for the winter doesn't make this any easier. This all hinges on what I'm able to sell the rebuilt 300 plus for to offset the cost of the bigger engine any suggestions would be helpful.

300 Plus................hmmm, that'd make the ol B model fly!!!!

I kinda understand the "V8" look, but how about just dolling up the 300?  Some chrome and polish?  If you are just looking for eye candy when opening the hood.

Not that I wouldn't just love to take that 300 off your hands.  (I need to find me a tip turbine)

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I'd take the money and time to do the Cat and invest in some dress up goodies and paint detailing on the 300+.   Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I thought the 3408 was bigger than the e9. 18L vs 16.4L respectively. What degree is 3408, 60? 90? 

I think if your idling around you won't get as much out of the v8. Maybe straight pipes on the 300, and like what has been said, some dress up gear. 

Abig yellow Cat is impressive BUT picture the normal uniformed oohing and aahing over a Patriot painted Red, White and Blue MACK engine. Generate more ego points than a kitty cat. 

:thumb:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I loved my 300+ in my '79 R. The tip-turbine engines sounded great to me. A buddy of mine just went through his 3408.The gaskets were still available but totaled in the thousands.  Give me that 6 banger any day. I understand the novelty of the big cat,just would not do it myself. But thats me,and what you do with your truck,is your deal. Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

You want to go with a cat and a different sound and less hassle put a 3406B in it, 425 hp and it came in the truck from the factory. It may not be the e9 but was the closest in power and reliability and lot better motor than a 3408 in longevity. I know mine runs right along with that in mine.