more progress

Bob. The way I had the tank sitting on the stands and jacks , I was afraid it would either fall off with me climbing all over it or get damaged somewhere along the line. And it did......the 3 inch cast iron pipe the rear was supported by ended up having a 3 inch bow in it from the weight. 

The rear corners of the tank came to a rest on the pipe and bent the edges and cracked some of the filler. 

It's a whole lot easier to fix primer than the finished paint. 

I'm going to raise the tank off the frame just enough to slip a heavy piece of plastic between it and the frame and tape it to the floor all the way around like a cocoon and protect the frame from any overspray. 

It's an extra step but I've done it several times with other projects. 

• Like 1

Excellent sounds like a plan excellent progress man I'm sure I speak for all of us here.on BMT we all wish we had your ambition and time...Were all excited for you and anxious to see all your progress keep it up and keep us posted step by step like you have been doing....I'm sure you are inspiring alot of us including me that's just terrific how fast your working on it. It looks really good already thanks again for sharing [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]....bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Excellent sounds like a plan excellent progress man I'm sure I speak for all of us here.on BMT we all wish we had your ambition and time...Were all excited for you and anxious to see all your progress keep it up and keep us posted step by step like you have been doing....I'm sure you are inspiring alot of us including me that's just terrific how fast your working on it. It looks really good already thanks again for sharing emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png....bob

Thanks Bob. I'm at a good place where progress is rolling well. I know there will be times when I feel like I'm beating my head against acwall and not getting anywhere.But in the world of restoration, that's par for the course.

If I can inspire or help someone as some of you have, it makes it all the better.

• Like 1

Oh yes my friend. I'm sure your driving quite a few of us....Such as me .....I'm really anxious to get started on mine.....Talked to a contractor Friday about building my shop ..... Should be started soon I am getting very excited soon I will be pounding on my DM. Yes you are very inspiring and thank you for doing that....As I mentioned I'm sure lots of us are thinking the same......bob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HarryS said:

I was going to ask if you would be ready for the Winchester show in Sept, but at the rate you are going you'll be half way through your next project by then (lol). Hope to see you there.

I would love to make it to that one.....if you don't mind seeing it with no onterior  (OOPPs , interior I meant) or front sheet metal.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

I have about aa half dozen of those crossmembers in my pile if youd like one.

Well crap. If only I had known that two weeks ago......

I'm almost done with this one. Gotta weld the bottom piece on , grind the welds and paint it. But thanks a ton for the offer!!