Oldie but Goody-

other dog

Why the turd on the table??

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

That's a classic! Like the metal shed my wife bought ME for Christmas about 15 years ago the kind with 3000 little bolts and nuts to put it  together! Three days, and a case of Straub beer (do they still brew that) later it was done! Was still behind the house a year or two ago! We sold the house and I go by It sometimes.Haven't been through St Mary's Pa. For at least twenty yrs! Hope Anheuser Busch hasn't bought Straub like they did Rolling Rock! 

• Like 1

UD, appreciate the Straubs info! OD, I'm somewhat of an expert on sheds, the 300 buck shed at Lowe's is almost certainly painted steel with a limited life due to rust!  And of course you have all that labor, and the the floor kit etc! All there " kits" are a lightweight pos, the minimum quality they can get away with! If the 800 buck shed is actually plywood (not osb) it's probably your best bet! The dudes at the sawmill are certainly country boys with a good work ethic so the shed will probably be decent quality! But the mill still has to make a profit! And they have to deliver it 20 mi and unload it. If you like the shed( or can have a buddy who understands  construction who can evaluate it)  you have to prepare the site. If it's ten by fifteen a pickup load of pea gravel raked level should go it! Then ( this is important,and most folks omit it) buy a roll of sheet plastic about 8 mil if My rapidly failing memory serves me! One trade name is Visaqueen, for a vapor barrier and spread it about a foot wider then the shed so you can staple it to the floor joist. The shed will probably have treated lumber floor joists,but maybe not the highest grade which is marked for in ground use! The vapor barrier will extend the life of the floor joists and has a hundred uses,as you will probably have some left over! It's cheap anyway! When you or your buddy check out the shed it should have at least two by six floor joists on twenty four inch centers. The wall studs and roof supports should be on twenty four inch centers,but no biggy,as you can reinforce these if you like,but the floor joists will be covered! I'm sure you're not sweating code where you live but the specs I mentioned seem standard on sheds. I suspect the roof will be galvinized steel like you see on most rural outbuildings. Once it's delivered you're ready to go! You didn't mention if it's painted but if not you can do that at your leasure.Since you're working you can hold off on my next recommendation,If you feel a sudden burst of ambition you can paint the roof!, but galvanized metal actually holds paint better after its weathered it will turn grey. You have to prime it with red lead or zinc cromate if you can find it! There may be a pre primed paint in colors for galvanized metal now Lowe's has the best paint dept. I recommend a light color as it will keep the interior cooler! You can probably get by with two six packs of Straub(if you're working alone)😁

• Like 2

The reason I know so much about sheds is I decided to build one after we built the house we live in.Being retired and having lots of time plus not seeing anything under 2500.that met my standards of quality,that's not delivered by the way! I decided to build my own! So I bought a book on sheds at Lowe's. Then I looked at the ones Lowe's and home depot sell. The most common brand of shed is Heartland.mfg! What a pos.!! Been eight years they started at about 1800! Undelivered thin osb floor pos piano hinges and on an on! Everything stapled together! This is ten by sixteen,I said fifteen but I forget they always use standard size materials. They spend more money on their glossy yuppified brochures than they do on materials or labor! OD,you have to stop at Home Depot or Lowe's and get a brochure in your travels! So then I find out Florida requires a 300 dollar permit to put a shed on your property. I had already designed a shed that meets code for living quarters. If  I buy the permit I'm required to build a lower quality structure that only meets code for a shed plus pay 300 bucks! Hope they aren't holding their breath! So I pay 1400 bucks for materials. My shed has 5/8 plywood floors,7/16 roof sheeting, two by ten treated floors, all the components are screwed and glued, and all the floor joists,wall studs, and roof supports are on 16" centers.The barn doors are half inch plywood with exterior textured siding that matches the walls. The roof is miami/dade coded shingles with tarpaper under it.The doors have big galvanized hinges like a barn! The only thing I haven't got around to are the tie downs. The code requires tie downs like a mobile home. The fine for not having a permit is less than the permit!😁 I checked! Like the fine in some states for not having a log book is less than having one that's behind or falsified!  I built the walls in sections  and raised them like the Amish build a barn,had my wife hold them while I fastened them. It's simple carpentry,but time consuming if you're working alone like me!  By the way if  you don't like the sawmill shed I have another idea, but the sawmill shed is probably  The best deal!

On 12/25/2016 at 0:43 PM, mowerman said:

i put ona those up myself,,,like 775 bolts,,what a bear...lol.....i also have that mack picture,,hanging in my bedroom....bob

Bob, you mean to tell us that you have exactly the same picture...........with OD drinking coffee and shooting the s---ts with the gay I mean nice guy friend at the table?

I have a Lowe's metal shed.  Like $200 and it came with a free floor kit(the metal part, no wood), it is 7x9?  Or close to it.  Ya, 300,000 little metal screws, took me a couple evenings to assemble it with a screw gun.  Took only one tree limb to just about destroy it a few years back.  Yup, that tree is gone now, but the roof of the shed is still mangled and not very dry inside due to the large openings in the roof.

I've wanted to get a larger version for more junk, though the township can likely tell me to tear it down due to being "over" my square footage for outbuildings.  Ugh, damn laws.  I was going to put a large wood shed(like 10x20) up but called to just inquire about it being "legal" and even though it is not on a foundation it is still considered part of my square footage and I can't put it up.  Dammit.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

We can all understand the reason for codes,As without them some people in decent areas would live like the Beverly Hillbillies! But the rest of us don't need them! Harry S,thanks for the flowers! I overbuild everything, I can't help myself! My shed survived tropical storm Debbie in 2012, but I discovered some of my trim mouldings were pressed paper not wood,they curled up from the moisture,must be replaced! Won't make that mistake again! But the insides dry as a bone!

• Like 1

Whats wrong with the Beverly Hillbillies,Billy? LOL! No,I get it. But if a property owner wants to put up a decent, eye-appealing shed, he should be able to do so,in my book.  Al

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

On 26.12.2016 at 4:38 AM, Mike said:

OD I would be afraid it might catch fire, being plywood. I'd go with all metal with a sprinkler system. 

I'd go with a sprinkler system with a metal shed inside :)

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Vlad, you have to understand that Glady's Virginia is extremely close to Winfall City. And Man it sho gets HOT up yonder.

Ah so!

Seems your right, Mike.

Just one more extra spark and all Gladys is on fire danger.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

You know that's what I like about my little stick town it's Hillbilly Haven like the old joke everybody here and Sun Valley has a broken Fairlane up on blocks my wife hates it here but it's where I belong people ask me about my town and that's the joke I make everybody has a broken Fairlane up on blocks and their front yard everything goes there

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

57, Some of the gated communities down here won't let you leave your garage door open, tell you what color to paint it,they really get wrapped up in their own perceived importance! I actually had a  broken fairlane in my backyard, but it is so wooded you couldn't see it!

• Like 1