What trans is an easy transplant for my B?

Ok, if I wanted to put something in to replace my Triplex, is there anything that would bolt in with minimal fuss?  Single clutch, mack side mounts?

I'd like to start working towards that project.  The ol Triplex is not sounding any better it seems every trip I take.  Put 1K miles on it so far.  It goes along fine but it sure doesn't sound to well sometimes.  Lots of clunks, whines, rattles while driving along.  It's just really loose.  Wish it was easily rebuildable but I don't think that is in the cards anymore with the lack of parts(or what it could cost to get them).  I've had the rear tailhousing off before.  I even pulled one shim from the bearing to tighten up the slack.  It help some years back.  Another 10+ yrs have taken its toll.

I don't really want to get into swapping to twin disc, push type clutch, linkage.  Doable, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

13 minutes ago, Newfie said:

try a mack 5 speed

A nice Mack 5 speed behind that Maxidyne you just put in would be a factory match. It's got the torque and RPM range to pull through those gears. Only issue would be overdrive. A 12 or 14 series Fuller 9 or 13 speed would be a good choice for OD and makins of a low flyer... :thumb:

Don't know about bellhousing change or spacer for single disc clutch but parts are available. 

• Like 2

Mack TRL10760/TRL10780/T2050 are 5 spd OD.

1st 5.24, 2nd 3.05, 3rd 1.73, 4th 1.00, 5th .60. 

Rev is 5.38. A little on the quick side for backing in the pits or driveway IMO.

Mack TRXL1070 6 spd OD two stick.

Low is 8.60 with the rest being the same as above but features 5 reverse gears.

You will want to get the brackets/mounts for trans and frame rails.

A 12 speed Mack Maxitorque with air shift selector would give more flexibility.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

The duplex (TRD 720) in my B was in pretty sad shape and made all kinds of noises especially in 5th H. One of the local shops had a mechanic that was familiar with those transmissions and went through it to find a lot of corrosion and gunk in addition to worn bearings. He cleaned everything up and replaced the bearings. It made a big difference in the feel when shifting and also quieted it down. I think he got the replacement bearings from PAI and if I recall the parts cost was somewhere around $5-$600.

• Like 1

Harry, I think mine could just use a few new bearings(it has always rattled in neutral after it gets warm).  I don't think it is all that terrible gear wise.  I have a local bearing house that could likely get everything I would need, if the gears needed bushings I could make those myself.  I'd spend that kind of money to make it good, as it would take much more to transplant something.

Jim, I'd love to have a 12 spd, that would be sweet.  Don't think the pocketbook could afford it.  Not sure it would work behind my single clutch bellhousing either.  I really don't want to get into all that work.  Not that I can't do it, I just don't want to!  I want some slow Reverse as you noted I don't want to have to ride the clutch.  I'd like to remove the old Spicer 6041 aux. box I have as that is also a very weak link in the chain.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

If you knew some one who could pull the triplex down I would say that they find the mainshaft gears have worn bushing in the gears and the countershafts have taper roller brgs which you will find has too much end play.Why do I know this is cause about all of them i have been into or seen tore down was that way.The main shaft gears have a presed in and then rolled bushing that ride on the main shaft.That is why they will not take much torque.The front counter shaft has a roller brg front and rear and the rear brg slides in the rear of the front caseandinto the front of the rear case.It is the front racefor the rear counter and the rear brg retainer has shims under it.Way you set the end play is remove a pto cover on the case and pry the counter shaft front to rear checking end play.

• Like 1

glenn akers

I may be wrong here but if you get away from the "B model" transmissions such as a 5, 6 or 12 speed used in the R models your clutch linkage changes. The B75 I just bought has a 285 maxidyne and 5 speed. inside the cab the B model clutch pedal that was pushed thru the floor was removed and a R model Pedal was installed. They bolted the pedal bracket to the fire wall and used the R model style cable linkage to the bell housing . It worked out great but if you plan to change transmissions to a pull vs push style clutch it wont just be a drop in replacement.

Glenn, I'm thinking I did pull a PTO cover back when I removed the shim.  I was working on the electronic speedo conversion with Rob back then.  The trans was always noisy from the day I bought the truck.  Taking one shim seemed to help some with the clanking/slop.  With the 1K miles I put on the new motor it sure seems like things are getting worse.  At least at times it seems to make more noise then others.  I'm driving it with as much ease as possible.  Just want to get working on some kind of upgrade, be it a rebuild or replacement.
Trent, I could hang an R pedal without too much fuss I suppose.  I have the tools.  Guess I need to come up with all the parts to do it and have it ready for next winter?  Bell, clutch, linkage, pedal, transmission.

Larry

Are you sure the noises are getting louder or is it just your head playing games with you after reading all the stories about how the old tranny won't hold up?     I know the voices in my head are pretty damn presisten some times.  

• Like 2

My voices are strong!  LOL.  It does make some unusual noises that were never there before.  Sometime I can downshift a few gears and come back to OD and it is quiet.  Strange.  It always had some rattle to it but now it is just different sounding.  Trying not to be anal about it but would like an upgrade of some type.

Larry

I used to have 1/2 and 1/2 Lucas and gear oil in it.  Made it kinda stiff to shift til it got warm.  I changed it out about 6-7 yr ago to just gear lube.  I could try it again.  I know one of my PTO plates is starting to seep a bit(replaced a rotted one a few years ago), so I might drain it, seal it up and put 1/2 and 1/2 in again.

I think I found a rattle last night, seems my front passenger hood latch is broke(original), as the spring inside must have gave up.  It just hangs on the latch and rattles, thus allowing the front of the hood to be loose.  I think that might be some of the strange sound I heard coming home last weekend.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry