Experience,--6.7 Ford Power Stroke

Red Horse

Any opinions out there on the 6.7 Ford Power Stroke? AGAIN- I'm talking about the 6.7-which has been out now 3 or 4 model years- not the 6.0 or 6.4's which have a ton of baggage and led to the Navistar/Ford "divorce".

And please-no comments about .." I know a guy whose cousin's brother in law had one and it blew at...blah-blah". Factual experience please. Good -bad, good fuel economy, bad fuel economy etc.

This engine is now offered by Ford in the 2016 F-650/750 at up to 37,000 lb GVW. They also have a 250,000 mile warranty on it in those applications so talk about putting it on the table!

Local oil heat dealer with a predominant International fleet (and one F'liner F2) just bought a new Hino. Ford in the day OWNED the home heating oil market (2,800 gal, 33,000 lb GVW) in the NoEast between the old C model and the Louisville but its a new ball game today. This new truck should get some of that business back but I think the old Power Stroke "baggage" is not helping them.

Again any "experienced opinions? And I recognize we are talking about F-250-550 but if the engine isn't cutting it in those applications-in particular 550 at 19,500 lbs, how is it going to fair in class 6/7 or even "baby 8 " at 37,000 lb?

• Like 1

i have a 2011, only have 47000 on it. replaced egr cooler under warranty, the 2 other guys who have them did it also. currently waiting on a DEF heater that is on national backorder, so I have to assume that is also a regular problem. other than that, lots of power, decent mileage, 16 around town, 21 highway. not sure I will want to own it once the warranty is up. All those emission related repairs are REALLy expensive, just like the big trucks

we have 3 at work. 2011 F-550, 2013 F550, and a 2014 F350

the F450 and 550 engines are detuned to around 325 to 350 hp. the 250 and 350 engines are between 400 and 450 hp depending on the year. the 2011 has 42,000 miles on it and has only had a few solenoids in the trans go bad. the 2013 suffered fuel pump failure, and a bad sensor in the exhaust. at 25,000 miles it had the emissions delete done. it now has around 30,000 miles on it.

the F350 was deleted when new with under 1,000 miles on it, it now has a little over 72,000 miles on it with no problems.

another company in the yard has around 30 F350 and F450's all with over 150k miles on them. no major issues, some little ones like fuel filter brackets breaking, cracked fuel lines, and a couple turbo oil line o-rings leaking.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

My friend and his dad both have one. I think his dad probable has 50k on his does general farm pulling wagons and trailers no issues he drove it from northern illinois to key West pulling a camper shortly after he bought it had to finally refill the Def tank when he returned. My friend just Vaught his last year so far no issues

My friend and his dad both have one. I think his dad probable has 50k on his does general farm pulling wagons and trailers no issues he drove it from northern illinois to key West pulling a camper shortly after he bought it had to finally refill the Def tank when he returned. My friend just Vaught his last year so far no issues

thx for response. No doubt they do a good job in the low weight ranges. I'm really interested in how they are holding up in 450/550 at the higher end-19,500 gvw.

thx for response. No doubt they do a good job in the low weight ranges. I'm really interested in how they are holding up in 450/550 at the higher end-19,500 gvw.

the 2011 F550 4 door 4X4 mason dump with 4 men in cab, 6 ton of asphalt in the bed, and 272 cat skid steer with bucket, miller head, and broom on the trailer, runs almost as good as if it is empty.

that combination is rite around 32,000 lbs. only very important thing is making sure the trailer brakes are in tip to shape when running loads like that.

the 2011 F550 4 door 4X4 mason dump with 4 men in cab, 6 ton of asphalt in the bed, and 272 cat skid steer with bucket, miller head, and broom on the trailer, runs almost as good as if it is empty.

that combination is rite around 32,000 lbs. only very important thing is making sure the trailer brakes are in tip to shape when running loads like that.

- hear you on the trailer brakes. Sounds like your outfit is good proving ground for 550 with that kind of utilization. I think given the choice, I would opt for a 650 crew vs the 550. How often do you really need the 4 x 4 feature

we plow large warehouse lots in the winter, so 4X4 is needed. it don't always get used, but it is nice to be able to remove yourself from a slick situation instead of waiting for a machine to come pull you off an ice slick.

Don't have first hand knowledge of them because I don't own one and probably never will. I will make a few observations for the heck of it. Stopped by the Ford dealer the other day to pick up a switch for my Ford truck and there was a whole bunch of them there to be repaired. Local telephone company has six of them and a good friend who works for them said that none of the six have all been on the road at the same time. Putting new engines in two right now for melted pistons. My supervisor went thru a two week course on the engine put on by a Ford rep. and his recommendation is to trade it before it goes out of warranty or have really, really, deep pockets when you go have it repaired. Just my two cents worth.

I'm curently running 7 F - 550s and 4 F-350 pickups with very little problems . Just purchased a 2016 F-550 with a Reading utility body the rest have dump body's 2011 and up . Only one 2015 needed a fuel pump but other wise for plowing , hauling and pulling trailers I would never buy any other truck 19500 GVW or lower than Ford !

Don't have first hand knowledge of them because I don't own one and probably never will. I will make a few observations for the heck of it. Stopped by the Ford dealer the other day to pick up a switch for my Ford truck and there was a whole bunch of them there to be repaired. Local telephone company has six of them and a good friend who works for them said that none of the six have all been on the road at the same time. Putting new engines in two right now for melted pistons. My supervisor went thru a two week course on the engine put on by a Ford rep. and his recommendation is to trade it before it goes out of warranty or have really, really, deep pockets when you go have it repaired. Just my two cents worth.

Interesting

I own a diesel repair shop and we do 60%pickups and 40% heavy trucks. We sort of specialize in performance and tuning diesels vs. just repairs. Anyway, from what I see the 6.7 has minimal problems compared to the 6.4's and 6.0 powerstrokes. It seems we get one now and then that is just a problem child and has issue after issue, but overall the majority of repairs come back to the emissions system. I would not run one of these engines in a medium duty truck and expect it to last. They are just not stout enough for that unless they adjust some of the internals. Ill tell you though, the power we get of these engines is impressive.

I own a diesel repair shop and we do 60%pickups and 40% heavy trucks. We sort of specialize in performance and tuning diesels vs. just repairs. Anyway, from what I see the 6.7 has minimal problems compared to the 6.4's and 6.0 powerstrokes. It seems we get one now and then that is just a problem child and has issue after issue, but overall the majority of repairs come back to the emissions system. I would not run one of these engines in a medium duty truck and expect it to last. They are just not stout enough for that unless they adjust some of the internals. Ill tell you though, the power we get of these engines is impressive.

That's my gut feeling as well. When Austria's AVL designed the 6.7L for Ford (outsourced contract design work), I believe it was only intended for applications up to the F-550, and not medium truck work.

this is because the drivers are too stupid to see the great big DRAIN FUEL FILTER notice in the middle of the dash and keep on driving. then the water or whatever is in the filter gets into the fuel pump, destroying it. the metal shavings that come off the pump as it self destructs then gets pumped through the high pressure pump and injectors taking them out too.

and the owner of the truck gets hit with a $12,000 bill to hand in to their insurance company befause the driver kept driving the truck instead of spending 2 minutes to drain the filter.

Thx guys for responses. when you read these collectively, you understand why I ask the question. There seem to be significant inconsistencies. And I do believe what are often reported as 6.7 problems, are in fact "stories" that go back to the 6.0, 6.4 fiasco.

In any case, most of the experiences reported in this thread involve 550's on the high end. I t will be interesting to see just how this thing does in 750 at 33,000 gvw-to say nothing of 37,000 and at continuous use at those ratings.

I hope it works out that the Ford engineers have done their homework. I have always been partial to Ford products but currently don't have any skin in the Powerstroke game. As an aside, I friend of mine has a brand new Ford F-650 roll back with side puller being delivered in about 2 weeks. I will take some picture of it and the engine under the hood. A gas V10 !!! He is sick of the diesel issues and the Duramax in particular of his current Chevrolet.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I hope it works out that the Ford engineers have done their homework. I have always been partial to Ford products but currently don't have any skin in the Powerstroke game. As an aside, I friend of mine has a brand new Ford F-650 roll back with side puller being delivered in about 2 weeks. I will take some picture of it and the engine under the hood. A gas V10 !!! He is sick of the diesel issues and the Duramax in particular of his current Chevrolet.

Jim, Sounds good. the 650/V-10 gasser makes a lot of sense for those that don't run big miles on an annual basis. Unless you run the miles, and/or you are always at the max of your GVW, gas makes sense and at this point I do believe Ford is the only player in class 6 (and 7 for that matter) with a gas option.

I would bet your friend has about 10 grand more in the bank from his upfront cost that he can use to subsidize his increased fuel cost.

• Like 1

If they are anywhere near as dependable and trouble free as my STOCK 07 6.0 ..........and I could afford one, I'd replace my 6.0 in a heartbeat with one....... after I put another 130,000 miles on it that is.

I don't have any firsthand info on the 6.7 though...hell, I don't even have any forth or even any fifth hand info on that engine.

Ford's engineers didn't do any homework on the current 6.7. It was designed in Europe by Austria's AVL (https://www.avl.com/).

Well, he has had for less than 12 hours now. Time to get it washed and lettered up and see how a V10 F-650 will perform.

Is that a Jerr Dan? Went by Jerr Dan dealer in Lancaster MA other day and looked like there was a dark (black or blue) Ford along side building-thought it might be your friends. Local U-haul yard just got a coupe of 650's in.

What we're the problems with the Duramax I have 2006 3500 4x4 w/LBZ and other than the turbo issue which I belive was from new its been a pretty good truck. Heater vent fixed under recall and trans m is sion cooler lines under warranty

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."