A Really Cool L Model

attachicon.gifPlant Shoe Picture.jpg

Well actually more cold than cool!

Taken by Bill Noonan who was the Boston Fire Department's photographer as well as being a Jake. The fire was the Plant Shoe fire which went to five alarms, an almost unheard of level of response in those days. This incident is well remembered by the Boston Jakes and buffs of the day because of the size of the fire and the weather conditions.The rig is E-7 which was still a two piece company and was most certainly a reserve rig at that time.

While the picture is a tribute to what the firefighters endured on the incident it also speaks loudly about the toughness and durability of the L models. Based on the date, 1976, the Mack had to be at least 24 years old and was probably older. Considering that the BFD was one of the busiest fire departments in the country, and frankly did not have the best fleet maintenance in the world, it is remarkable that the rig was still in service after all that time.

I especially like how you can see that the windshield wipers must have been going for most of the night since the windshield is almost clear of ice. My bet is the old girl ran for the entire operation and was not shut down until the incident was over.

The funny thing is the BFD stopped using Macks after it's last purchase of some B models. As far as I can remember I don't think they ever ran a "C" or "CF" in the fleet. By the time this picture was taken they had been buying Wards, Seagraves, and Maxims for the most part.

And in the early 80's they bought a good number of Ford C-8000's (E-0nes)