One person can do it. Not to sound funny but if you bought a new vent are they the same size? With a little soapy water should just go back in

Yes the vent is the same size, but the gasket seems slightly larger. I wrestled with it for an hour yesterday. . . had me completely flabbergasted. When I try to fit the vent into the gasket (its already fitting into the cab roof) it just keeps popping out. I get it lined up on one corner, and as soon as I'm not looking it rolls right back out.

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

Make a cutoff in the roof larger?

Put the seal in gas to make it thick and then lay down for some while and it will dry out and get smaller?

Seems like another seal is required :whistling:

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Dish soap and a string around the groove in the gasket, start a corner and while you keep pulling the vent down, pull the string slowly out. Just like doing and old styls gasketed windshield.

It is hard to describe the method, maybe somebody can do it better for me.

this may help to understand the general soapy string idea

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

i had a hard time getting the new one in my r model when I did it. I was about ready to give up when it went right in. Just keep fighting it sooner or later you'll get it.

Thanks for the support/sympathy.... Franklin is only 80 miles away, what are you doing tomorrow?!

• Like 1

put the gasket on the vent first then work gasket and vent together into the cab opening then soap or lube the seal strip and work that in to the groove that it goes in whether you put the seal strip inside or out side the cab is your call

The installation instructions said to install in the cab first. . . but I kinda agree with you, I got further getting it started with the vent first. As tight as the fit is, I may just forgo the locking strip! (not really)

Well gentlemen, I got that ignorant rotten B-tch in yesterday. I ended up using a spray bottle with soapy water and a pry tool for working computer hardware.

Thanks for the support/advice.

Now all I have to do is put that key strip in, but thats going to have to wait until my bulging disc subsides.

• Like 1

While you are recovering buy you something like this tool. You will be so happy that you did, it is used to install the lock strip.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/windshield-locking-strip-tool-p-12952.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQiAqK-zBRC2zaXc8MOiwfIBEiQAXPHrXnUJ8DyIAe4hBNyVSknZ5Ax-3Y_3_AqTSpK_TB6PmWsaAq8b8P8HAQ

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

While you are recovering buy you something like this tool. You will be so happy that you did, it is used to install the lock strip.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/windshield-locking-strip-tool-p-12952.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQiAqK-zBRC2zaXc8MOiwfIBEiQAXPHrXnUJ8DyIAe4hBNyVSknZ5Ax-3Y_3_AqTSpK_TB6PmWsaAq8b8P8HAQ

I bought one of those. It sure makes it easier to install the strip

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellas, got the new vent in, and today got the key worked in too. Turned out real nice. I'd say for me the key was easier than the gasket.

Hope the post ain't wasted, because I'm sure happy about getting that project done.

Thanks for the words of wisdom and advice.

Ron

(Reading back through my post, I feel like a cry-baby. Everything is easier once you get it done isn't it)

• Like 2

Had just gotten a vent and gasket... Was very frustrating installing... Worked better with 2 guys! Got it in and STILL have to get the lock strip in. Tried and had to give it up for a day or so. Glad I got all new parts even after the frustrated install!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Had just gotten a vent and gasket... Was very frustrating installing... Worked better with 2 guys! Got it in and STILL have to get the lock strip in. Tried and had to give it up for a day or so. Glad I got all new parts even after the frustrated install!

You really need that tool or take it to a glass shop and have them put the lock strip in for you.

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

And HOW on the two-man job... I was looking for a little brother to put on the roof of my Super while I sweated it out underneath.... Anyway, I used an old spray bottle with warm water and a little dish soap mixed in. Keep the key lathered up, and smear a little straight soap into the groove too. I worked my way around with a broad flat dull putty knife and a small dull flat screwdriver.

I don't doubt that special tool would've made it easier, but I went back at it with a positive attitude, and a lot of determination and it went pretty well!

• Like 1