Mack Loggers

j hancock

Damn impressive but I can't figure out how Mack AC in the middle pic could carry such the load being not sunk into the ground with pretty slim front wheels?

LTL logger at the top pics is really beautiful.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Keep in mind they were still cutting down the trees and bucking them up using hand held cross cut saws. In 1928 there were not many chainsaws were being used in that day. You kept your cross cut saw tuned right up and sharp as a razor. A dull saw really makes for a hard day. Anyway, a question for you expert Mack historians, I probably could google the question, but it's more fun to ask you guys. When did Mack start putting on Pneumatic tires?

Hogg and Houghtoun's Logging 1924 The steel wheeled AC and trailer with load (second pic) down a 4900 foot incline and winched assisted up a 4700 foot log rail incline to unload. Slippery steel wheels, slippery steel rails, a over loaded unit and rear wheel brakes . . .WHEEEEEEEE

clicky pickys

post-3242-0-35962800-1444930004_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-87089000-1444930018_thumb.jp

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

paul: are you referring to the log in the trailer? thats called the reach and were trees or if you were around a sawmill they used big timbers. my LJSWX unit on here in gallery has a yellow ceder reach .Most were fir in the old days. Now there steel.

No, I learned a long while ago from my good friend in Oregon all about them. He was 3rd generation. He was a cat skinner. I learned all about water cooled brakes and "misery saws" from time spent with him. Most of the early logging photos from California, Washington state and Oregon are from him. I have other photos of the set up with a full load on the down slope. Just have to digitally clean them up to post them. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

paul: are you referring to the log in the trailer? thats called the reach and were trees or if you were around a sawmill they used big timbers. my LJSWX unit on here in gallery has a yellow ceder reach .Most were fir in the old days. Now there steel.

I think we are talking about the same thing we just use different names here than you do there if that makes any sense

log trailers are called timber jinkers out here the pole in the middle I have always known as the the pole the bits that go at right angles to the logs that the logs sit on are called bolster's like a lot of things different names for different parts of the world

post-17290-0-59684800-1444953285.jpg

Paul

I think we are talking about the same thing we just use different names here than you do there if that makes any sense

log trailers are called timber jinkers out here the pole in the middle I have always known as the the pole the bits that go at right angles to the logs that the logs sit on are called bolster's like a lot of things different names for different parts of the world

attachicon.gifJinker pole.JPG

Paul

Same , Same

P.T.CHESHIRE