I hate my gear shift

So this truck I bought has a 12 speed in it and I really hate the gear shift(er). It dances around violently, and is uncomfortable to use. You can also rotate it in the gear box a little which seems wrong to me. I know the 12 has a reputation for being a little 'clunky' but I wonder if there is some bushing missing.

post-8459-0-58783100-1439072522_thumb.jppost-8459-0-19594900-1439072463_thumb.jppost-8459-0-73904900-1439072349_thumb.jppost-8459-0-69668700-1439072296_thumb.jppost-8459-0-93964600-1439072260_thumb.jp

post-8459-0-05527600-1439043271.jpg

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

There is a pin that goes through the shifter and cone shape housing that bolts to the trans. Maybe its broke, pull the floor and take a look. If its broke you could knock the pin out and just put a bolt and nut in its place. Or replace the the entire shifter. Also check your trans mount ears for loose bolts and rubber mounts.

Since you described it as "violently", I would think the problem would be visible.

Check the pin, they fatigue with age and fail. No often but they do fail.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

So I checked the pin... Somebody put a hose clamp around it to hold it in... hole is egged (someone even tried to weld it) and the pin is jacked-up on the ends... fell out when I turn the shitfer on its side.

What would you do????

thanks for all the advice.

ron

A bolt and Nyloc nut and 2 washers in lieu of a shifter housing.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

So this truck I bought has a 12 speed in it and I really hate the gear shift(er). It dances around violently, and is uncomfortable to use. You can also rotate it in the gear box a little which seems wrong to me. I know the 12 has a reputation for being a little 'clunky' but I wonder if there is some bushing missing.

attachicon.gifIMG_0363.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0362.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0361.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0360.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0359.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0358.JPG

Ooo Compound on the floor! Nice!

I would put a shifter in from a CH which has a rubber isolator built in the stick and is so much quitter and smoother to shift.

12 speed CH.... Bolts right in, without modification? I really like the idea of smoother and quieter.

I used a shifter from a CH, had to bend it into shape to work in my superliner, but that made it shorter so I made a short threaded rod to bring the shifter up a little. About 3 inches.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

I used a shifter from a CH, had to bend it into shape to work in my superliner, but that made it shorter so I made a short threaded rod to bring the shifter up a little. About 3 inches.

Was it a noticeable improvement?

A bolt and Nyloc nut and 2 washers in lieu of a shifter housing.

There is a pin that goes through the shifter and cone shape housing that bolts to the trans. Maybe its broke, pull the floor and take a look. If its broke you could knock the pin out and just put a bolt and nut in its place. Or replace the the entire shifter. Also check your trans mount ears for loose bolts and rubber mounts.

Since you described it as "violently", I would think the problem would be visible.

Put a bolt/nut and lock washers in, loc-tite too... seems to have really tightened it up. I looked at my short shifter, it appears that the pin was welded on one end from the factory.. . Haven't had it on the road yet to see if the shaking is gone. Trans. mounts look fine to me.

Put a bolt/nut and lock washers in, loc-tite too... seems to have really tightened it up. I looked at my short shifter, it appears that the pin was welded on one end from the factory.. . Haven't had it on the road yet to see if the shaking is gone. Trans. mounts look fine to me.

Simple and easy=truck back on the road.