Would You Buy a Scania Truck?

TeamsterGrrrl

Would you buy a new Scania truck in North America if they were available?

Wouldn't be cheap, but would options like V8s to 730 horsepower, twin steering axles, a single drive tandem that really works and a cabover configuration tempt you? Would the lack of a conventional cab be a deal killer?

I would, if the price wasn't absurd.

it will be......

they are a "premium" truck in the euro market..... however, I wonder if the new owner would assemble them in the US with the significantly lower labour cost?? hmmm

BC Mack

They have factories in Brazil and Argentina but don't know if they build class 8 units there. Since VW owns just under half of Scania maybe V Dubs factories in Mexico or a new one in the U.S. for a dual line production.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sure, if they were competitively priced and manufactured or assembled in the United States. Will the premium price a buyer pays for this latest, greatest, newest import - even with its twin steering axles and a big engine - cost the owner more or less over the service life of the truck? Will replacement parts be manufactured in the United States? What percentage of the truck's initial price, and the costs associated with it's replacement parts manufacturing, will stay in the United States over the next 3 - 7 years?

They have factories in Brazil and Argentina but don't know if they build class 8 units there. Since VW owns just under half of Scania maybe V Dubs factories in Mexico or a new one in the U.S. for a dual line production.

HQ, R&D, truck and bus chassis assembly, engine and other component production

Södertälje, Sweden

Truck assembly

Zwolle, The Netherlands

Angers, France

Sao Paulo, Brazil

Truck and Bus assembly

Kolar, India

Cab production

Oskarshamn, Sweden

Cab and chassis components

Meppel, The Netherlands

Transmissions and rear drive axles

Tucuman, Argentina

Frames and rear drive axles

Lulea, Sweden

Bus body production

Lahti, Finland

Slupsk, Poland

Do owners of new Scania's in the EU have the troubles with new trucks the way we do?

The short answer is that Scania has earned global respect around the world (not just the EU), because it is successfully brings a lower total cost-of-ownership o the customer.

Scania believes in life-time relationships, a partnership between Scania and the customer.

Once you have the opportunity to drive a Scania...........you'll understand.

• Like 1

I've heard horror stories about prices of spare parts.

That's an Australia problem that troubles me. Prices are FAR to high there.

The Sony flat screen TV that Americans can buy all day long for US$600-$700 costs more than double down under. The high price of......everything......is unfair to Australians. And this is of course is the main reason that Australia's car industry is shutting down.

I would love to buy a Renault Magnum. Just for the hell of it. Robert Transport has the 2 Volvo FH cabovers running up here still. They have been doing well. Just the 24V system hasn't been a big issue. They just installed converters from 24-12 just for hooking to trailers.

I would love to buy a Renault Magnum. Just for the hell of it. Robert Transport has the 2 Volvo FH cabovers running up here still. They have been doing well. Just the 24V system hasn't been a big issue. They just installed converters from 24-12 just for hooking to trailers.

Westport Canada have a newish Volvo FH under test in BC... it's a gas conversion of a 12lt engine I'm told on a two axle tractor and has been noted by other drivers to run out of steam very quickly when heading east past Hope BC (the Rockies)... LNG the BC dream..!!! only in Canada Eh.!!

BC Mack