Aussie quad road trains

Timmyb

Doing some local work in a place called port Hedland. It's a big iron ore port and with the down turn of the ore price a few junior miners have stopped production and lots of trucks sitting around.

Tim they sure are a heavy looking unit looks like Port headland has some rain I thought it was normally dry as chips up there ??

The mining slow down is going to bite real hard I fear in the not to distant future I hope you manage to steer clear of a all the problems that come with it

great photos thanks for sharing

Paul

Very impressive.

Wonder how's easy to stop such a train.

Air brakes are good but you need a lot of air.

What is the compressor?

And what is a regular road speed?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Paul, yes it's supposed to be dry season up here! It's all back to front, Mother Nature must be drunk!

As far as driving them, I could only imagine you would have to like it slow. Mind you, it's a pretty flat landscape up there. They used to sit in 100km/h once wound up but government has restricted them to 90 now.

They are powered by regular 550 cats, 620 isx and the new isx e5s.

Not sure regarding compressors. I know cummims has a big twin piston one. Double the capacity of the standard ones.

I think Lmackattack is right. Mind you, I wouldn't wanna do it too often.

Yeah they are all side tippers, haven't seen how they do it but I imagine it would be a big loop, tip them all off and have a big front end loader reclaim it into piles. Or, maybe they tip into hopper or shoot and straight into the ship...