Installing AC into an RD

Administrators...If this is the wrong place for this please move it to where it belongs.

I have an RD685S 1986MY I would like some input as to what it intales to install an AC unit into this truck and what is the best option.....Factory package vs. Cab mount and which is the most cost effective in terms of actually doing what it's suppose to do. Thanks in advance for any useful info on this subject.

Red Dot offers a factory style dash unit, for around $1200. I believe it includes the compressor, lines, expansion valve, dryer, and condensor. You could go with a universal between the seats style unit, which in my opinion does a better job for less money, but I'm a stickler for keeping it factory looking.

• Like 2

Jake

Red Dot offers a factory style dash unit, for around $1200. I believe it includes the compressor, lines, expansion valve, dryer, and condensor. You could go with a universal between the seats style unit, which in my opinion does a better job for less money, but I'm a stickler for keeping it factory looking.

Thanks, I haven't taken the time to look yet but I like the idea of the factory look too, I also don't mind the roof mount units but it seems like the air flow coming from above and so near your head my not be such a great Idea...IDK

After looking at the red dot under dash unit the between the seat option sounds a lot less complex and therefore easier to install/maintain but I didn't find those on the red dot website, do you have a link for the between the seat universial models?

Mack offered the Signet-produced unit in the R/U/DM cab from the early 80s, which evolved into the Red Dot. However on R/U/DM glider kits, the Kysor (of Byron) "Mini Brute" was the offering (Bergstrom bought Kysor in 2000).

(For example: http://www.polarmobility.com/truck+aftermarket+air+conditioners.html)

Beige (Mack vendor code 7979) 3375011

Grey (Mack vendor code 7979) 3375012

Note: While the Red Dot and Kysor AC retrofit kits came with compressor mounting brackets, they were both inferior to the factory brackets (Mack didn't allow either supplier to use Mack-designed brackets........they had to do something different). So you might want to source the brackets from Mack.

I installed lots and lots of the Red Dot "between the seats" units back in the R model days. Had the be the coldest A/C ever, never saw one that would get above 39 degrees output temp. Had to run them on low. Downfall was your elbow would smack it sometimes while shifting if u had long arms.

I installed lots and lots of the Red Dot "between the seats" units back in the R model days. Had the be the coldest A/C ever, never saw one that would get above 39 degrees output temp. Had to run them on low. Downfall was your elbow would smack it sometimes while shifting if u had long arms.

Do you recall the name of the manufacturer of the units you installed? I have yet to find one of the between the seat units to compare to the other types. I'm also wondering what peoples experiences are with the roof mount models..ie: do they cool enough to make the entire cab comfortable or just blast your head and shouklders with cool air but not do much else? The price seems comprable to most other styles that I have found, I am still most interested in the between the seat models and would like to find more criteria and some pictures of those.

This was the unit we installed, it came with everything for the R model ( unit, compressor , brackets , condensor, drier , switches and hoses)But as Kscarbel2 said, get a factory AC compressor mount , as the ones that camee in the kit never stayed tight.

Thanks, I see now that the compressor, lines and condensor isn't included with this one. I'll have to check and see if they have those to sell or if I'd have to find those things elsewhere

I just checked on a roof mount today. Told me around 3800 installed. I hate the heat but that was more than I expected. The guy told me he thought the roof mount was better than the between the seat model. He said it was all contained in one unit , all you need is the compressor.

I just checked on a roof mount today. Told me around 3800 installed. I hate the heat but that was more than I expected. The guy told me he thought the roof mount was better than the between the seat model. He said it was all contained in one unit , all you need is the compressor.

That's a ton of money in my book, If you'd have said $2000.00 I'd have thought that a bit high, but doable ......$3800.00 just won't happen for me.

That's a ton of money in my book, If you'd have said $2000.00 I'd have thought that a bit high, but doable ......$3800.00 just won't happen for me.

I was thinking the same thing. Like I said I hate the heat but I'm not putting that much in it

How about finding a used apu unit?

That's one way to go, my thoughts on that are with the inherent problems any AC unit seems to have I am hoping to get the best NEW set up I can afford and bypassing those problems for a little longer.

• Like 1

I like the way you think but I feel most AC problems are due to poor installation

Paul

I'm not totally in agreement with you on this, here why.....I have owned several class 8 trucks with factory AC...none worked well for very long, most were a 'money pit' to the point of giving up trying to keep working...That's my experience with them. I have never had an aftermarket install but seriously doubt they are any better. I would love to have a system installed that would prove me wrong.

I have been around countless units other than my own and find those results similar to my own experiences.

Edited by Mcrafty1