B model round alum fuel tanks

Freightrain

My drivers square tank has a leak, and that has me thinking again about how to put something a bit more flashy on instead of the old painted square tanks.

How available are they? My only issue is I would need two passenger tanks(short one) as I have dual stacks and can't run a long tank on the drivers side.

Would the step line on correctly, or be too far forward when switched around? What kind of money do they bring(not all beat up)? I would need the mounts also.

I have access to actually build whatever I need, but thinking if I could just buy something that just bolts on would be easier right now(if the price is right). Just putting feelers out there.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

the short 55 gallon ones are pretty scarce Larry and even more scarce if you try to find a short drivers side one as the shorter ones were usually passenger only. I know I have run across them and guys usually want around 400 a piece for them. the bolt patterns are different also from the square tank to the round. the step would be off if you put a pass side one on the drivers side to. I have been lookin for a short pass round one for some time now and they seem to be made of gold when you do find them.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I have seen the short round tanks from time to time. Just so happens that there is one right here, maybe for sale,

Take a look at the two rust free B cabs for sale recently. There is a shorty drivers side tank on that frame brackets and all. There could be a nice passenger tank there too.

It just so happens the colors on that frame and cab match the B75 I got from Texas in 1996 and still have. My cab and tanks where in real nice shape. :Mixer1:

If the money gets too stupid, I have the connections to roll my own, buy the end bells and weld it all together(for basically only the cost of the materials). Not that big of deal really. I've already been told that is what I need to do, only need to come up with brackets. I think I have a set of square tank brackets left over? I could modify them to work. Probably have $500 in material for both? Maybe once my spring rush of projects gets over I can start to gather stuff up and have it ready for next winter to bolt on? Still need to patch up the square tank to eliminate the drip I have going on right now.

Larry

Larry, I am sure not informed well on your alu welding skills but the way of doing it has many tight spots.

You have always a trouble of leak in the end of a seam. Once I asked a friend of mine who had a welder (and some experience) to fix up my bike's clutch cover. He had it 3 times redone and there's still a fatt spot on it.

As for the tanks I found a shop locally who put back in place the buffle inside my R-model aluminium tank.

The weld broke down and the baffle was just laying on the bottom inside the tank.

Those guys told me they gonna remove the end cap to get to the baffle and than put it back.

I said "no" knowing the way things used to be and we ended up making cut out in the back wall, the frame side.

Being in their shop I saw a lot of alu tanks re-done for European trucks. They're aluminium but not round ones, rectangular with smoothed edges. All those tanks were pretty deformed along the seams where end caps were welded to a main wall.

To my ask the guy answered "Yes, it's always that way and we can't do it better looking".

I noted that was a local shop. But I meant it was the only shop who did it I found on the net over the 12 million city, wich is the capital of the country. There's another place wich makes tanks nice but it's in Saint-Petersbourg, 700 km away.

I'm going to go there to work out my second tank. And it's damn far more than 7 hours of drive.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I don't do aluminum. I leave that to my buddy. Between him and another fellow I do work for I have two shops that can roll the alum and get the end bells.

If my buddy does the welding, the tanks will be PERFECT. No distortion, no chunky welds, and likely no leaks. He is an anal perfectionist...........and drives me nuts sometimes. If you tack the end bell on enough before doing a full weld, it should not distort.

BTW, I pulled the drivers tank off today(after pumping the fuel into the passenger tank--lucky both were about 1/2 full, so it fit). I removed the tank and cleaned up the fuel that was all around the front bracket. The tank had a few gallons left, so I left it sitting in the driveway for an hour or so to see where the leak was. Never leaked. Nadda, nothing. Hmmm, I think, maybe what the deal was when I replumbed the fuel lines when I moved the fuel filter I must pulled the old line through and sloshed fuel all over and it ran down and made it look like the tank was leaking. No other explanation. I put it all back together and let the fuel drain back from the passenger tank. I'll check it in a few days and see. It never really leaked much all winter sitting in the garage. I'm thinking less then half a dixie cup full?

• Like 1

Larry

Well,I was out in the back 40 this weekend,so I checked a couple of old B's on the back row that have aluminum tanks.Both only have drivers side with a air start tank on right. both fuel tanks were damaged. I had 3 I sold quite awhile back,shoulda kept I guess. Sorry Larry and Matt.

I suppose I could just buy std round tanks to fit and put some recessed B model steps in the side?

I had thoughts of putting some old school round tanks back behind the bunk and make steps(battery box and storage) under the cab. But, I like the "open frame" look I have now and don't want to bulk it up with tanks.

Larry

That is what I did.

My local freightliner dealer had some very nice take offs that I bought for $100 each. The welder put in the original side step, cut them to the needed length, recapped the end and made a new aluminum diamond plate upper step for each side.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I took a set off my B67. I was running out of the drivers side and i never had fuel in the passenger side. Im not sure but theses may be longer then your looking for. They extended behind the cab. I'm in central PA 17830

post-18910-0-63411200-1429414368_thumb.j

I need them to be no longer then a square 40 gal tank(have to measure it).

Talking with my buddy, I think I might look into buying a big late model tank and cut it and make two small tanks with a couple new bell ends welded on and make the small step for them. Then I can buy the matching mounts for them.

What is the typical diameter of these tanks? Are they the same as a newer tank? Within reason?

BTW, I found my leak Saturday. When I had it off last week it wouldn't leak with just a few gallons in it. Now that it had 20 sum gallons, it makes it leak. The pin hole is in the front corner, just behind the bracket. I don't want to mess with it as I want to make PA this weekend. If I dig into it I'm afraid I might make it worse and no time to tear it off and weld it. Now it is just a damp spot that hardly even puts a drip out. Had a small bucket under it all winter and it barely put 1/8" in it.

Hobert62, I'm going to be in Beaver Springs PA on Thurs-Sunday this week for a race. Just over the hill from you according to google maps.

Larry

I will measure the cast off oem tanks in the morning but 24" pretty sure is the size. The freightshaker based replacements were the same so that the radius of the side step would match.

I think there are 22" tanks out there. I had some old Peterbilt tanks that were 26".

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Staying at track. It is the 3rd annual FE Reunion. All Ford, all FE powered! We have Hubert Platt, Bruce Larson and a few others coming again. Check beavers website for schedule if interested. The ol Mack ain't hard to spot in the pits.

Larry

Ya, that is what I'm trying to avoid. Thanks for looking. I've got Adelman's in my back yard, but they too want maximum pricing for everything.

Found a 100 gal tank on craigslist for "barter" OBO. no straps or anything. Didn't look destroyed. I could cut it in half and make my two tanks.

Larry