Raitt says "Truckers Need E-Logs and Stability Control"

kscarbel2

Today's Trucking / March 19, 2015

Mandatory electronic logs and roll-stability devices are coming to Canadian trucks.

They’re coming, that is, if the Federal Transport Minister Lisa Raitt, Ontario Minister of Transportation Steven Del Duca, the British Columbia Trucking Association (BCTA), the Ontario Trucking Association (OTA) and the Canadian Trucking Alliance (CTA) get their way.

All of the parties named above chose this week to voice their support for two initiatives.

Raitt attended a special roundtable discussion with OTA and CTA members before announcing her support Thursday, and that meeting was quickly followed by announcements from the BCTA and Del Duca’s office.

The OTA, CTA and BCTA have been promoting both projects for years, given, according to a BCTA statement, “that they will have multiple benefits for everyone from day-to-day road users to governments at different levels.”’

Likewise, says the CEO of the CTA. ““We commend the minister for her leadership and look forward to continuing to work with her on the legislation mandating both ELDs and roll stability,” said David Bradley. “We now call upon all of the provincial governments to work with Minister Raitt and CTA to help make this a cooperative country-wide effort.”

And while Canadian regulations regarding stability-control technology will have to move “in lock step” with the American rules because so many Canadian operators cross the border, the Minister said when it comes to elogs (a.k.a., ELDs), Canada might move ahead of the U.S., as it did with other initiatives.

She did not predict time lines for the new regulations and she commended the CTA for leading the campaign. “It’s one of the only times I have ever seen an industry asking the government for more regulations,” she said.

ELDs ensure driving time is accurately recorded, removing the temptation for some individuals or companies to work outside the rules and increase their crash risk.

The American Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has announced it will be publishing a final rule requiring ELDs in September that will give the trucking industry two years to research, install and become familiar with the technology before the rule is enforced.

The final rule on the stability control mandate from the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has been sent to the White House’s Office of Management and Budget for its stamp of approval.

It's all the stupid crap that some drivers are pulling these days that is bringing all this about. Morons who tailgate, speed excessively, and text are not going to change their habits so a new way of overcoming the hazards they create is necessary. Common sense is a apparently out of the question.

• Like 2

Jim

I'd rather hang up the keys & go change tires & oil @ Walmart than put that crap in my truck. This new company I'm with had a survey at the safety meeting...asked are we aware that they are testing Peoplenet. Yes, I'm aware of that. What do you think about it? It is why I left the last place after 8-1/2 years. Would you be interested in a unit? HELL NO!

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Seems like the norm now with government, the majority get punished for the few A holes who don't think or care about what they do.

As for Europe, I live and work here, you want to be like them? Move there

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I started driving a semi when I was 16 hauling grain then went over the road for a few years then back to hauling grain, now I am 58 years old and have been working for a county highway dept. in Indiana for 10 years now. I don't miss the bullshit out on the road, when i go to a truck show i have more fun driving to and from the show now than i did in the late 90s into the 2000s trucking, i agree with 41 chevy about Europe.

The direction the industry is heading makes aging not seem so bad. I don't want to do anything for a living but drive a truck but If I were in my 20's or 30's I'd have to come up with an alternate plan for when the BS finally got to be more than I was willing to put up with.

Jim

The direction the industry is heading makes aging not seem so bad. I don't want to do anything for a living but drive a truck but If I were in my 20's or 30's I'd have to come up with an alternate plan for when the BS finally got to be more than I was willing to put up with.

My boss is pro-actively moving toward E-logs, not where I want to be... I like my job otherwise but told him this may be the tipping point for me. I've got 20 years to work IDK if I can keep driving that much longer...

Gregg

My boss is pro-actively moving toward E-logs, not where I want to be... I like my job otherwise but told him this may be the tipping point for me. I've got 20 years to work IDK if I can keep driving that much longer...

Gregg

Has he mentioned anything about how productivity will suffer? You brought up a good point in another post about having to end the day early to reduce the chances of running out of hours with nowhere to stay. His bottom line is also going to take a hit.

Jim

Has he mentioned anything about how productivity will suffer? You brought up a good point in another post about having to end the day early to reduce the chances of running out of hours with nowhere to stay. His bottom line is also going to take a hit.

So where do you think the companies are going to make up for the lost hours? Shuttle drivers, team ops, deferred inspections? Or just pass increased the costs from the lost time down the line to the end user? Seems Corporate is the winner in the end, at least to me. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Shuttles and teams are an option for long haul but not practical in segments such as auto transport where a good portion of the day is on-duty, not driving. A 14 hour day might consist of only 6-7 hours of drive time. IMO, the winners in the short term will be the companies that choose to stick with paper logs until required by law to switch to e-logs, at which time the playing field will be level again. Until then, the paper log companies will have the competitive edge since they will be able to accomplish more in less time or with fewer trucks and drivers. I'm not sure there will be any winners when e-logs become mandatory, only different degrees of losers.

• Like 1

Jim

Now how do you think the L.E.O's and DOT officers are going to make life miserable to the one without the e-logs think they will go out if their way to make the stops as miserable and costly as they can for the driver and company?

P.T.CHESHIRE

Now how do you think the L.E.O's and DOT officers are going to make life miserable to the one without the e-logs think they will go out if their way to make the stops as miserable and costly as they can for the driver and company?

That remains to be seen but I think it will depend on the officer. Some are dicks regardless of the circumstances but most have been looking at paper logs their entire careers so it's really not that difficult for them to continue for a little while longer. If the driver has his ducks in a row and attitude in check, I think it's likely they won't have an issue. I also think that most carriers will be pro-active about getting on board when faced with a deadline to ensure they have their act together on time.

They do have a new potential source of income with the e-logs to make up for what will likely be a drop in HOS violations. All e-log users are required to carry a user guide for whatever hardware is installed in their trucks, mine is just a one page pamphlet. I suspect that through lack of communication and/or carelessness many drivers will not have these to produce when needed. I have been asked to produce the pamphlet both times I've been "pulled around back" since on e-logs.

I hope I'm not giving the impression that I'm in support of all this crap. While e-logs have made my life a bit simpler, I think they are bad overall for the industry and have serious doubts that the roads will be safer as a result of them becoming mandatory. I'm just trying look objectively at an issue that affects me and that I have absolutely no control over. My biggest pet peeve is with the interior cameras that record the drivers actions. That is absolute bullshit and the one thing that will have me seriously considering finding another way to finish out my working years.

Jim

Our local driver from CCX, his take on the interior cameras? Fkit. Was told not to smoke, he lights up and then flips the camera off. He is allowed only 3 write ups. He has yet to get one. He's been at it for LOTS of years and just waiting for them to cancel his ticket. Hasn't happened yet.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Our local driver from CCX, his take on the interior cameras? Fkit. Was told not to smoke, he lights up and then flips the camera off. He is allowed only 3 write ups. He has yet to get one. He's been at it for LOTS of years and just waiting for them to cancel his ticket. Hasn't happened yet.

The Conway forum on Truckingboards has some discussion on these. One example is where a driver was written up because he happened to hit a bump (which activates the camera) while taking a bite out of a sandwich. The morons that come up with this crap are gonna have to rethink their policies if they want anyone to come work for their sorry-ass companies.

• Like 1

Jim

This new company, I have the option to run my own numbers and be a "dedicated carrier" doing the same thing I'm doing running their numbers. If they tell me I have to run e-logs, that's probably what I'll end up doing...and then staying on paper & joining any and every legal effort to defeat this mandate. The "bad actor" mandate went down in flames...and it only took 1 of several legal arguments against it to beat it back. The feds haven't really addressed ANY of them, so I really don't see whatever the FMCSA puts out sticking around very long.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

it makes me nervious to think how much this crap will cost to just run "seasonal" trucks on the farm of if ag will be exempt, and still get to use our air mile radious ?

Lucky you're not in N.Y.State! They want All Farm vehicles and all towed, pulled, mounted or pushed equipment to have "Ultra Visiable" NYDOT (?) numbers and be subject to NYDOT regs on public or private property. They want age restrictions on operators and as NYS say "appropriate licensing" .

P.T.CHESHIRE

That remains to be seen but I think it will depend on the officer. Some are dicks regardless of the circumstances but most have been looking at paper logs their entire careers so it's really not that difficult for them to continue for a little while longer. If the driver has his ducks in a row and attitude in check, I think it's likely they won't have an issue. I also think that most carriers will be pro-active about getting on board when faced with a deadline to ensure they have their act together on time.

They do have a new potential source of income with the e-logs to make up for what will likely be a drop in HOS violations. All e-log users are required to carry a user guide for whatever hardware is installed in their trucks, mine is just a one page pamphlet. I suspect that through lack of communication and/or carelessness many drivers will not have these to produce when needed. I have been asked to produce the pamphlet both times I've been "pulled around back" since on e-logs.

I hope I'm not giving the impression that I'm in support of all this crap. While e-logs have made my life a bit simpler, I think they are bad overall for the industry and have serious doubts that the roads will be safer as a result of them becoming mandatory. I'm just trying look objectively at an issue that affects me and that I have absolutely no control over. My biggest pet peeve is with the interior cameras that record the drivers actions. That is absolute bullshit and the one thing that will have me seriously considering finding another way to finish out my working years.

My employer seems to have backed off the dash cams...for now...since half his drivers threatened to quit over that.

Gregg

Lucky you're not in N.Y.State!

It's about damn time they came up with a new slogan to replace "I (heart) NY".

My employer seems to have backed off the dash cams...for now...since half his drivers threatened to quit over that.

Gregg

Awesome. We have dash cams recording forward only which I can deal with, but now it's way to easy for my liking to "upgrade" to the interior cameras.

Jim