New toy - 87 Chevy R30 Rollback

JTFormula

Thanks. Ill use this until I find a Mack rollback. The DM that was in Long Island the seller never got in touch with me. Nice part is this is old enough I can take it to some of the shows. I have a year to get this and the General ready for Macungie! The wife can follow me out there in this while I drive the big rig.

Hatcity. They were both beyond my price point. The MR is not what I was looking for and the SL is cool but again, not in my range. Ideally I need a 22-24' deck and wheel lift off the back.

There was a CH on eBay last year I was digging for around $15k but no wheel lift. I found an old ad that's still up on it:

http://twentywheels.com/view/12520-1992_mack_ch612.html

Tozzi, I was but this was 4 miles from me and a price I couldn't resist. I figured I would clean it up and use it until something else bigger comes along. With the low miles, I should be able to make a few bucks on it when the time comes. I've always liked these and this is loaded with options. It will serve me well for a while. I just need to install a hitch on the back to pull my car trailer so i can haul two at a time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: got the ol girl running today. Just need to charge the battery and replace the starter. Fired right up. Idled rough for the first minute or two then smoothed right out. A/C even blew cold! I have a hydraulic leak in the controls for the rollback but it operates. Brakes were hanging up from sitting and felt a bit spongy but it stops. I am happy with the progress. I hope to get it on the road and working by the end of the week.

• Like 1

JT Nice 87' C30 Chevy Roll Back ya have there .

My Grandfather owned a White 84' GMC K3500 4WD Service truck from new till bout 2000 , That looked like the C30 You have .

Although the truck was basically our rolling shop

That truck was my baby once I got old enough to drive I Got where when I wasn't in School,

I drove it more than my personal 85 C20 Silverado I had @ the time .

it had a 454 , 4spd w/ 205 transfer case & 4:56 gears .

I put cherry bombs on it when I was 17 & had the exhaust end right where the cab & 12' flatbed met .

It Had narrow "P" Style Buckshot Mudders on it, Manual Warn Lockout hubs & a 12,000 lb Warn Winch on it .

Pop put 6 KC Daylighters placed on the headache rack, top side tool boxes & in the back of the bed by the tail lights for light when we had to work on a piece of farm or construction equipment in the field @ night . (had 1 hell of a battery & alternator on the truck for that very reason ).

The running joke w/ my grandfathers crew was it might as well had been solely my truck rather than both of ours as I drove it more than he or the crew did .

it was eventually titled in both of our names .

Eventually my pop wanted to upgrade to another 1ton & told me he wanted to sell it . Instead of buying his part & keeping it Like a big dummy I signed my name as well on the title & it was sold to a buddy of his in MS .

I Used to go to the local bottoms where a bunch of my friends went mudding & used to get paid to winch them out .

I Know where a 86' K30 Chevy Silverado is that is similar to the 84' K3500 GMC We had .

But this truck is A factory Baby blue paint job & Dually bed w/ the same specs & has a warn winch , grill guard & winch bumper w/ narrow style buckshots & Manual Warn hubs & it is owned by a friend of a friend & he has owned the truck since new & stays under a separate carport built just for it & he will not sell it.

When I was in HS I used to meet him & that truck @ a 4way every morning when I was head to school .

I always let him go 1st so I could hear the sound of the 454 & 4spd go through flow masters he has on the truck

That & my 85 C20 Silverado Chevy are 2 trucks I wish I never sold .

Id like to have another 84-87 K3500 Single cab to restore but they are getting hard to find around here .

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

• 2 months later...

Quick update: got the ol girl running today. Just need to charge the battery and replace the starter. Fired right up. Idled rough for the first minute or two then smoothed right out. A/C even blew cold! I have a hydraulic leak in the controls for the rollback but it operates. Brakes were hanging up from sitting and felt a bit spongy but it stops. I am happy with the progress. I hope to get it on the road and working by the end of the week.

Does it have Vacuum assist or Hydra-boost? If it has Hydra boost and it's off the P.S. pump run it from lock to lock slowly a few times to purge out the air in the accumulator. When Hydra boost sits for a very long time a small bit of air works it's way to the pump and to the accumulator, it's the highest point in the system.

The DM on L.I. was an ex Town of North Hempstead Municipal truck, you didn't miss much. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul, thanks for the Hydro-boost tip. I already did that as there was almost nothing left in the pump. Topped it off and ran it side to side until all was well and quiet.

Good!! Glad to help. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE