Con-way Truckload Purchases 550 New Tractors, Invests in Automatics and 6x4s

kscarbel2

Transport Topics / May 28, 2014

Con-way Truckload has purchased 550 new Kenworth, Volvo, Freightliner and Navistar tractors, 540 of which will be equipped with automated (AMT) transmissions and all with 6x4 axles.

AMT transmissions Included in this purchase are the Eaton UltraShift, the Volvo I-Shift and the Detroit DT12 (Mercedes-Benz 12-speed G281-12 PowerShift 2 AMT).

This purchase represents a significant increase of automated transmission trucks in Con-way Truckload's fleet, which previously was only operating 50 AMT-equipped trucks.

Con-way says its decision was driven in part by driver requests for automatics, along with the company’s desire to lower the barrier of entry into a driving career.

“We’ve found that many younger drivers looking to enter the industry prefer the automatic transmissions because it removes the perception that operating a truck is outside of their ability,” said Gretchen Jackson, recruiting manager at Con-way Truckload. “Truck driving is an essential role within the economy and, given the current driver shortage, we want to provide career opportunities for those who have an interest but may think the job is unattainable.”

The new tractors will be on the road by December in a replacement cycle that will maintain the company’s 2,700-tractor fleet.

Con-way Truckload is an operating company of Ann Arbor, Michigan-based Con-way Inc., which is ranked No. 3 on the Transport Topics Top 100 listing of U.S. and Canadian for-hire carriers.

in the good 'ol days if you coudn't shift it you didn't drive it and didn't work for the company.

In my interview for my current job, the boss asked me 3 questions, the second one was "can you drive stick?" I found out later that he had hired 4 drivers before me who all got DZ s through a school on autos.....why not train for "worst case scenario"?

The last question made us both laugh....."when can you start?" Lol

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

RE: Video

Not stikn up fir driver but

hoo put a T intersection @ a train line

the driver mighta had to give way to traffic ........n then all ovr red rover

LOL

cya

§wishy

Those types of crossings are all too common in Pennsylvania and many are extremely dangerous as a driver cannot see oncoming traffic without stopping on the tracks. It's a literally a matter of checking that the rr tracks are clear for as far as you can see and hoping for the best when you get to the intersection.

This one is not so bad because it appears there aren't many obstructions to block the driver's view of the intersection from behind the crossing gate.

Jim

The ....ummmm...driver in that video, stopped ON THE TRACKS, so he could ask directions.

The GPS told him he arrived at his destination. . .

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE