Spoke to hub pilot conversion

I am thinking of switching to hub pilot hubs and wheels on my RD, it's going to need brakes soon so I'm thinking it would be good to do it all at the same time. My main reason for wanting to do this is to Eliminate wheel wobble, and for the ease of changing tires and brakes. From what I understand its not a big deal to do, I'm mostly concerned about what to do with the old hubs and rims. From what I can see on here they should sell, how much would they be worth? They have about 190,000 on them. It would be nice to sell them to off set the cost of the conversion. Any thoughts or advice on this project? Thanks!!

• 7 months later...

Well I went straight to the horses mouth and rang mack in wacol. Their price was $2300 for both sides.

I then tried gleemans here in Perth. $500 for the hub, $200 for the drum, I'm guessing $50-$100 for wheel seal and im gonna use my bearings as they are nearly new. So about $1600 for both.

Not sure if they are using the same brand parts.

I'm doing this right now as well on a 95 CH 613 with all 6 wheels being spoked.

New Gunite hub from Mack (eaton diff) was $500, $260 from parts store

front hub was $700 from Mack, $350 from parts store.

New aluminum rims 24.5, accuride ultra polished both sides $290 each.

Bearings matched so will reuse them, and seals were $40

studs and nuts $9 set

Drums $80

All said and done it should be $5900 Canadian, but 4 of the rims go on another truck with steels that I am going

to put on Inners so that both trucks have Aluminum outside.

This truck had 22.5's before so now all the trucks and trailers will have the same size.

Seems like an awful lot but now that I started it I have to finish it.

My uncle is a gravel hauler who is interested in the old tires for his trailers, being it costs as much at a tire shop to remove the tire I will probably just give him the rims.

No interest in the hubs as of yet but spoked wheels are getting pretty uncommon around here now.

And I think used drums are pretty much free

Edited by Glensts

• 2 weeks later...

I have daytons on my superliner and have never saw one wobble yet.I have a flat maybe ever other week cause I am dump trucking and around junk.The tire shop also will use a 1/2 impac to install and they know that I am going to check them in a few days.Just like a good tire man.

glenn akers

U jokers R go n backwards

Spider, Spoke, Wobbly wheels rule

have one changed ovr while U disc wheel jokers R rollin a cigarette n scratch n u're ass

never evr do up Spoke wheels wiff rattle gun az they will wobble

within 5mm 1/4 inch wobble = OK

Look after u're wheels n they will look after U

LOL

Cya

§wishy

Swishy you are so much wiser than me with all them flash words but I reckon you have got all about right

only one more thing left to add doing the nuts with a rattle gun will wreck them studs quick as look at you and you only find out when you are on the side of the road change a flat bag swearing about the young whipper snapper the did them with a rattle gun because a five spoke spider dont hold on any good with only four nuts gotta keep stopping every half and hour and re tighteen nuts

Swishy why arent you Geeloooooooooooooooooooooong ??????????

Paul

I think back in the day every truck driver in Australia prefered spiders spokes daytons what ever you call them because tyres were no were near as good as they are now and flats were common depending on were you were 3 or 4 flat tyres a day so when you had those Bud rims with 2 rows of nuts to undo if it was a inside duel or when the inner nut sticks to the outer one and you have to stuff around and its 100 degrees in the shade those five or six stud spiders look like a dream

Having said all that today I hardley ever see any truck sold with spiders tyres are better roads are a dream and no more bloody double rows of nuts

are the good old day hey

Paul

you put a board on the ground under the duels leave the wheels on the hub knock the axle out have the board well greased on the side facing up undo the bearings and slowly lower down on a jack until the wait is off the bearing then slide the wheels and hub together once the wheel is clear roll not quite one turn away (not so the grease touches the ground) remove board then you have a nice clean area to work do the reverse when putting it back together no lifting required and can be done on the side of the road on your own at least thats what I have done

the main thing I learn from this type of discussion is how requirements are different around the world for what we need just because some thing works in our wide brown land dosnt mean it's any good else were

Thanks for the discussion fella's

Paul

• 3 years later...

I sell the hub-pilot conversions. Been working with all my vendors to get a reasonable package deal together. Typical 38K or 44K rears I sell the complete kit for $1220 per axle. Includes both hubs, drums, inner & outer bearing combos, wheel seals, studs and nuts. Front 10K-20K conversions run about $1400 per axle. I have a thousand spokes for sale. 90% of them are either obsolete or through the roof if still available so, I've been moving a lot of these conversion kits.

Donny Jones

Global Truck Traders

www.gttparts.com

(603)239-7008

globaltruckparts.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 8/31/2018 at 1:08 PM, Donny @ Global Truck said:

I sell the hub-pilot conversions. Been working with all my vendors to get a reasonable package deal together. Typical 38K or 44K rears I sell the complete kit for $1220 per axle. Includes both hubs, drums, inner & outer bearing combos, wheel seals, studs and nuts. Front 10K-20K conversions run about $1400 per axle. I have a thousand spokes for sale. 90% of them are either obsolete or through the roof if still available so, I've been moving a lot of these conversion kits.

Can I get your number to buy one of these kits

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/10/2015 at 4:26 PM, Swishy said:

U jokers R go n backwards

Spider, Spoke, Wobbly wheels rule

have one changed ovr while U disc wheel jokers R rollin a cigarette n scratch n u're ass

never evr do up Spoke wheels wiff rattle gun az they will wobble

within 5mm 1/4 inch wobble = OK

Look after u're wheels n they will look after U

LOL

Cya

§wishy

Hey Joker 1/4" is 6.4 mm

• Like 1