1956 Mack B42x delivery

I received the Mack B42 from out west and am very impressed with the overall body and frame. Its amazing how clean all the metal is. A few dents here and there, I noticed what seems to be a few stress crack on the back of the cab. The interior is very straight also except for the seat. I checked the oil and threw a battery init but the starter would not engage. After crawling under to remove thr starter I see a 4" by 6" opening in the block were a rod came threw on the 401 gas engine. So that being said, I have sentfor information from the Mack Museum and looking for thoughts on a replacement engine and whether I should find a diesel or the original gas motor. The trans is a 5 speed with no 2 speed rearend. Just wanted to know any thoughts or ideas. I do like to keep things original but?

• Like 1

been quite a few posts on repowering B42's. to stick a 673 and 72 series transmission in there you better have a doner B61 truck for the engine mounts, radiator, 1700 series driveshaft, hogs head out of a diesel rear end etc. you also need the clutch shaft that goes thru the spring hanger or have yours rekeyed as the one for a B42 has the keyway in a different spot. you will find this out f you use a gasjob one in a diesel as you have no clutch adjustment.i say all this speakin of a B42/401. the bigger gas job 464/540/707 you may be able to use the same motor mounts and clutch linkage if the 464/540/707 had the smaller 67 series transmission. B42's have the small 77 series trans. the rear engine/trans mounts are also different between the 67 and 72 series trans.

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

been mentoned before but an 8.2 litre Detroit I think would fit in there. all depends on the exhaust/steering box. might even bolt right up to the same tranny and I think its in the operating range around 3200 so you don't have to change the rear end.

Mine was repowered long before I bought it. It's reliable, sounds good, and has all the power I need.

The 671 powered Aussie B was a nice rig. Guy coulda used a little more touch on his shifting that road ranger through the lower ratios.

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

Tin looks good. Did you know about engine being ventilated before arrival at your place ? Lots of good choices but if only a hobby truck I would try to replace with original mainly for ease of replacement. AS Maddog said a donor truck is about necessary to put a 673-711 in it and plenty of labor. Good luck whatever way you decide to go. Joe D.

I

Tin looks good. Did you know about engine being ventilated before arrival at your place ? Lots of good choices but if only a hobby truck I would try to replace with original mainly for ease of replacement. AS Maddog said a donor truck is about necessary to put a 673-711 in it and plenty of labor. Good luck whatever way you decide to go. Joe D.

I did not know on the engine, it was purchased on line and has not been plated since 1981. I figured there was a reason they parked it and I am ok with it. I dont know if there are a lot of parts available for the 401 gasser or even if I have ever seen a used 401 for sale. I have some option on diesel engines but hard to find a donor truck in northern michigan.

went to look at single axle B61 dump one time that had a 318 with a triplex in it. was nice and reasonable but the guy who owned it couldn't shift it for shit and was worried there was 10 lbs of metal and gears in the bottom of the tranny or the taddletale plug on the side with a magnet.