Emergency shut off on 318 detroit

Btalmadge

Get enough of it open and soak the parts with PB Blaster or some other favorite penetrating oil. It works although it takes time. That is an easy place to start. If that fails after a few weeks (reapply regularly too) you will need to think about strategic heating but that can get out of hand quickly. If you have no idea how to go about that you can mess stuff up quick. Use brains and caution.

Good luck

Also take intake hose off and look/reach down in there to make sure there is no obstruction. Like acorns or mouse nest, etc... Then, like gmerrill said oil it up. When it comes time to fire it up, Keep the intake hose off and a piece of plywood handy just in case. I f you haven't fooled with 2 stroke Detroits much do youre self a favor and pull valve covers then work the rack to make sure you don't have any stuck injectors. If you do and you try to start it 1 of 2 things will happen. It will either not run or run away to the point you wont be able to shut her down. A little penetrating oil on a stuck injector may help along with a little moving action. Good luck

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

first start for a long while..?

as said by WS721, pull the valve covers, disconnect the link rods from the gov and move the shaft and watch the injectors... leave the rods off for the first fire up...

to free off the seized cross pins have you ever thought of removing the intake and dumping it a bucket of diesel??..the intake flap is spring loaded, check that works too...

SAE40W oil... no 15W40

be sure to prime it first..

BC Mack... with three green leakers!!!!

post-10384-0-38789900-1393810742_thumb.j

All good info so far, I would pull the covers, check the rack and injectors for travel and pull the intake shut down and free it off the truck. Then just re install the intake, valve covers and fire it up. I have to pull valve covers and free stuck injectors every spring at CSX, all the older equipment has 2 stroke Detroits. I had a crane I had to pull the cover and free a stuck injector twice in one year due to lack of use.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

OK NOW THAT WE GOT THE SIMPLE STUFF COVERED! you will need EAR PROTECTION and BAND AIDS next clear a 3 mile area around the truck, protect with crime scene tape then lastly apply for a ENVIROMENTAL POLLUTION PERMIT!

now slam hand in door - apply band aids- insert ear plugs- start cranking- change batteries- resume cranking- start cursing- this is the reason for the 3 mi. area wrench throwing etc. then as it starts to fire the EPA permit comes in here!

OH OH OH almost forgot the most important thing an extra 5 gallons of 40wt.

And yes 58 FWD I know your smiling reading this!

• Like 1

LOL. Ahh come now Driptroits aren't that bad. Ooops. Did say that using my outdoor voice? One thing I would add. Its VERY helpful to have a helper. Things wont be that bad unless things go bad. Then it goes bad in a hurry. Take youre time double check that everything is moving free. Have fun!!!

• Like 2

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

OK NOW THAT WE GOT THE SIMPLE STUFF COVERED! you will need EAR PROTECTION and BAND AIDS next clear a 3 mile area around the truck, protect with crime scene tape then lastly apply for a ENVIROMENTAL POLLUTION PERMIT!

now slam hand in door - apply band aids- insert ear plugs- start cranking- change batteries- resume cranking- start cursing- this is the reason for the 3 mi. area wrench throwing etc. then as it starts to fire the EPA permit comes in here!

OH OH OH almost forgot the most important thing an extra 5 gallons of 40wt.

And yes 58 FWD I know your smiling reading this!

I'm thinking you guys do stand-up comedy in your spare time. Had a great laugh. I have never seen a detroit run wild,(hope I never do) but I sure have heard the stories. Hope things go smooth Btalmadge.

Guess if they don't I will be able to hear it here, north of the border.

Keith 

how many shop rags can a Detroit digest ? you know we gotta get all our d.d. stuff wrote down and then come up with some type of mechanics board game, using all the info our play pieces can be t gauges, blower shafts, oil cans, either cans, and slobber tubes. just a thought

I keep a fire extingusher handy and have the intake hose off so I can spray it in the intake if it runs away, its gonna trash the engine anyway so I might as well save some fuel and time cleaning up a scattered mess.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

A well prepared crew... :whistling:

As Crocodile Dundee would say..."Now, this is what I call a runaway".....

BC Mack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M1o2rpO_JY

LOL. Ahh come now Driptroits aren't that bad. Ooops. Did say that using my outdoor voice? One thing I would add. Its VERY helpful to have a helper. Things wont be that bad unless things go bad. Then it goes bad in a hurry. Take youre time double check that everything is moving free. Have fun!!!

I lost a brand new Carhartt jacket in an emergency shutdown scenario one time...from that point on, I did everything that was mentioned here B-4 I fired my next Yamaha up that had been sitting. :twothumbsup:

Keep a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher nearby, not a dry powder type, if you want to save the engine if it does catch fire. The dry powder will corrode, and ruin, everything it comes in contact with.

I have been using a mix of 90% acetone and 10% auto transmission fluid as a "rust buster". Seems to work better then Kroil, etc.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!