All Mack Fleets Past

Crossett Inc. - Warren, PA

D.M. Bowman - Williamsport, MD

H.R. Ewell - East Earl, PA

MTS - Northampton, PA (going pheasant hunting with my dad as a kid I remember hearing the air-start R600s off in the distance)

• Like 1

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

Around my parts (central CT) F&F Concrete used to run B-model tandem dumps and mixers, then when they went to Advance front-dischargers they got 2 Superliner tractors to haul in sand and gravel. I believe they caught fire one day and now they have 4 Granite triaxles that run a 85-90 mile round trip to get sand.

Mastrobattisto, Manafort Brothers, Gerber Construction, H.I Stone & Son, Arborio, Empire Paving, Martin Laviero, and Mizzy Construction have been majority Mack fleets. Tomasso/Tilcon, Aiudi/Windham Materials, and Suzio have been going to the dark side. A.I. Savin and later Savin Brothers/Edward Balf/Capitol Pipe/Roger Sherman were all Mack before being one of the first to go to KW in the 70s. Arute Brothers, White Oak, DeFelice/F.P. Ryan, and D'Addario used to run massive Mack fleets when they were around.

F&F was never a company for maintenance. All their superliners were at a trailer dealership for sale and were very very rough. If it could be fixed every way except the right way they did it. I know 2 of the granites were a mack for sale or got taken back and they needed work.

• Like 1

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Gless Bros trucking in Blue Grass Iowa began in the 40s with diamond ts and whatever. Bill Gless (my grandfather) bought his first R model in the laye 60s. Painted it red on bottom and white above the hood ridge. After that, every new truck was a mack. Company was sold a few years back and a hundref or so Macks were traded out gor freightliners. Pretty sure the new owner had his own dealership.

• 7 years later...

O&G Industries was an all Mack fleet with some A-cars, Fords and Sterlings. Some how Mack pissed them off over some stupid calander issue featuring Hi Ho dual steer HMMs( I think) featured in the calander instead of O&G twin steer Mack's. O&G is all KW now with a few Cat 660's. They may still have some Mack yard trucks. This also filtered down to Rawson trucking who used to be Mack but now are KW. Manafort used to be all Mack but now have switched to KW. Gateway industries used to be all Mack but now are mostly Peterbilt. They do have a couple of new Mack Granite dumps. Cherry Hill Construction has switched from Mack to Pete. They still have a couple of legacy Granites. American Industries was a Mack fleet and then switched to KW. Now they are back to Mack Granites for dumps  and KW and Mack for lowboys. Mizzy seems to still be all Mack. Herb Holden was an all Mack dump fleet but now have switched to Volvo. (Volvo eating its own)🙂

Stop & Shop and Bradlees in Ct. and Mass. ran an all Mack fleet of U and some R models.

H.M.Royal, Inc. from Trenton, NJ. is a chemical distributor and used to have a total Mack fleet. They had A40, B61, F600, R600 and an MH I believe and pulled dry van and bulk tankers. They were green cabs and red frames in the early years then white cabs with blue frames later. Today they only have 1 IH straight truck for local deliveries and a few trailers for storage in their yard.

Herms trucking was another Trenton NJ. company that was mostly Macks. I remember 1 Brockway C/O, 1 Diamond T conventional and a few B61, a B67, a B75, several R600 and F600. They pulled a mix of dry vans and flatbeds.

31 minutes ago, james j neiweem said:

poppop: You and I have similar memories. I grew up in Illinois but then moved east to Connecticut.

Back then I think White was just as popular as Mack.

Well you and Npoppop will also then remember Adley.."A Mighty Servant That Never Sleeps", Wooster, Holmes, St.Johnsbury.

Whites?-how about Shusters.

• Like 2

Apgar green and cream B-61's and U-600's. Red Horse Schuster was a White fleet, green coup cabs and then green 9000's. I used to live across the street from their Colchester Ct. terminal. Lots of White action. Then before going belly up they bought a bunch of brown colored U-Model Mack's and moved their terminal closer to Rt 2 and 11. Maybe Maislan bought them out.

• 8 months later...

Previous all Mack fleet I remember from childhood 70-80s was WC Fore Trucking Gulfport,Ms.

Cotton ran all R models pulling short frameless Palmer Dump trailers hauling fill dirt. Later he ran Cruiseliners and Superliners. I remember them hauling fill dirt for a Standard Oil Refinery in Pascagoula. He had around 100 trucks on a 9 mile haul! 

A logger friend of mine still runs an all Mack fleet. He has one really nice restored R, a lot of Superliners, CH models and new Pinnacles. CF Marion Cumberland,VA  

cf_marion.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, Red Horse said:

Well you and Npoppop will also then remember Adley.."A Mighty Servant That Never Sleeps", Wooster, Holmes, St.Johnsbury.

Whites?-how about Shusters.

there's four names that bring back the memories =St. Johnsbury,Wooster,Holmes -i could see the tractors in my head ,couldn't   remember the name. and Adley. my wife was a secretary there . building the first gear b model new england fleet  i had 5 Adley combos. 

like it's been said= as you age can't remember yesterday but can remember yrs back. in todays world who the H--l wants to remember yesterday   yrs back was without question better memories

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 9:17 AM, james j neiweem said:

O&G Industries was an all Mack fleet with some A-cars, Fords and Sterlings. Some how Mack pissed them off over some stupid calander issue featuring Hi Ho dual steer HMMs( I think) featured in the calander instead of O&G twin steer Mack's. O&G is all KW now with a few Cat 660's. They may still have some Mack yard trucks. This also filtered down to Rawson trucking who used to be Mack but now are KW. Manafort used to be all Mack but now have switched to KW. Gateway industries used to be all Mack but now are mostly Peterbilt. They do have a couple of new Mack Granite dumps. Cherry Hill Construction has switched from Mack to Pete. They still have a couple of legacy Granites. American Industries was a Mack fleet and then switched to KW. Now they are back to Mack Granites for dumps  and KW and Mack for lowboys. Mizzy seems to still be all Mack. Herb Holden was an all Mack dump fleet but now have switched to Volvo. (Volvo eating its own)🙂

Alot of truth behind the story of O&G  with the switching brands due to a calendar picture. it was huge money back in the day to buy an entire fleet. Mack could have at least put both fleets in.  realize there are only 12 months/ pictures and a lot of fleets nation wide . glad it wasn't me that made the decision LOL

5 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

O&G should be over this by now. May be they are and they just don't care for the Volvo product.

If the old timers were still involved with the purchasing at O&G  Mack might have stood a chance in todays world. we all know new england hasn't been Mack country unfortunately for yrs. you should have seen the look on my bosses face when i delivered the new DM to O&G. the guys were trying every way to open the hood. i walked up and  said" guys hold on this isn't a horse on the hood it's a bulldog. every part of this truck is functional. " i walked over grabbed the bulldog and said " you pretend this dog is your boss, put your hand around his neck and pull. " thought i was going to be fired on the spot. think i was saved due to the large amount of laughter. all honesty, would you consider a mack today over other brands?