Comin' On Strong With Mack's V-8 Thermodyne Diesel

Cool brochure. Thanks for posting it. That injector pump was the weak ling in the system. I can see they had a good plan with all the stuff being gear driven and easy to get at...that pump just didn't last.

I was never a fan of the rotary pump. but I recall the army's multi-fuel engines had rotary pumps (i.e. LDS465 and LDT465 in M35 series trucks).

:SMOKIE-RT:I believe those were rosa master pumps developed by a Stanadyne engineer. The one rotating element had to supply all 6 or 8 cylinders. To much work for one part. Unlike the in line and v bosh pumps where each plunger could take a rest while the other 5 or seven supplied fuel. These pumps were on the early ford 6.9's and 7.3's. Would usually last about

100,000 miles. Rebuilds were about 300-400 dollars. Now one new ford injector is about 350.00 dollars. I think we are going backwards as far as maintenance costs and replacement parts.

:SMOKIE-RT:I believe those were rosa master pumps developed by a Stanadyne engineer. The one rotating element had to supply all 6 or 8 cylinders. To much work for one part. Unlike the in line and v bosh pumps where each plunger could take a rest while the other 5 or seven supplied fuel. These pumps were on the early ford 6.9's and 7.3's. Would usually last about

100,000 miles. Rebuilds were about 300-400 dollars. Now one new ford injector is about 350.00 dollars. I think we are going backwards as far as maintenance costs and replacement parts.

These were American Bosch pumps (as were the pumps the those M35 multi-fuel engines)

Mike,

I would imagine it was a cost saving,

The clever thing was, from what I remember, that there were double lines.

One from the pump to a rail with unions in it and one from the rail to each cylinder.

The lines from the pump to the rail were special for the PSJ or PLM American Bosch pump while the lines going from the rail to the injectors were the standard lines

used with an APE American Bosch pump.

Therefore if you needed one of the upper lines it was pretty much a very common item no matter what type pump was on the engine.

Ron

speaking of rotary pumps,why did some 673's have them?