'78 promo Valueliner specs?

Local guy had a RS700 dump he painted that way. Mike ,it was an old McAnnich (out of Des Moines) lowboy tractor at one time. Had a 375 in it.Somebody put a 300 in it.He bought it already converted to a dump truck in '85 from Twin Bridges. I'll have to dig up some pics of it. Its pretty rough now,but he won't part with it.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

No kiddin',Jim. What a versatile spec truck. From a lightweight fuel hauler to a heavy mixer chassis,the Value-Liner could be built accordingly. Probably a victim of the horsepower race & the CH was coming in too.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

This beauty from the 1978 Mack Western brochure is the subject of my latest model project and I was hoping someone could help me with spes.

I've heard that the gold bulldog denotes Mack only drivetrain. I was thinking perhaps a 300 plus motor and a 9 or 12 speed transmission because I can see two sticks but I'm no expert so help would be appreciated.

The gold dog in those days meant the truck had a Maxidyne engine. A chrome dog meant either a Thermodyne or a non-Mack engine, like a Cummins. Somewhere along the line, Maxidynes became "EM" and Thermodynes became "E".

I drove a couple of earlier R-models with the 6-speed 2-stick trans. The 107 was direct in high. The 1070 was overdrive in high. Nicest thing about that box was that you had 5 reverse gears. Super nice when trying to back up out of a muddy spot! After growing up on Quadruplexes, it took some getting used to!

There was one of these for sale in Charlotte a while back. Had a Cummins & an 18-speed Fuller. A Ford-Hendrickson air ride rear frame was grafted on just behind the cab. Does that make it a McFord?

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

The gold dog in those days meant the truck had a Maxidyne engine. A chrome dog meant either a Thermodyne or a non-Mack engine, like a Cummins. Somewhere along the line, Maxidynes became "EM" and Thermodynes became "E".

I drove a couple of earlier R-models with the 6-speed 2-stick trans. The 107 was direct in high. The 1070 was overdrive in high. Nicest thing about that box was that you had 5 reverse gears. Super nice when trying to back up out of a muddy spot! After growing up on Quadruplexes, it took some getting used to!

There was one of these for sale in Charlotte a while back. Had a Cummins & an 18-speed Fuller. A Ford-Hendrickson air ride rear frame was grafted on just behind the cab. Does that make it a McFord?

I always thought that the gold dog was full mack drive train engine trans rrears on camel backs. My 77 dm has all mack running gear, but has solid walking beams (from being a mixer) and it has a chrome dog

I always thought that the gold dog was full mack drive train engine trans rrears on camel backs. My 77 dm has all mack running gear, but has solid walking beams (from being a mixer) and it has a chrome dog

The gold dog was an indication of a Maxidyne engine...which was also painted gold. See the connection?

The late 60s - early 70s R611ST I drove in my youth had an ENDT-673C Mack engine, a TRQ-7220 (or 7210?) Mack transmission, Mack axles, a Mack camel back suspension...and a chrome dog (on hood and doors). That truck was as "all-Mack" as it could get, and had nothing gold on it anywhere. There were dozens of copies of this same truck around home...all Mack, all chrome.

We had another early 70s tractor on the lot...an R685ST...which was the exact same axles, springs, and everything, but which had a gold dog (on hood and doors). This one had the ENDT-675 Maxidyne with the 6-speed Maxitorque transmission. First time I ever saw a gold dog. Saw several afterwards...all with Maxidynes in them.

The '70 R611ST I have now has the same ENDT-673C Mack engine, a factory RTF-915 Eaton-Fuller Roadranger transmission, Mack axles, a Mack inverted camel back suspension...and a chrome dog (on doors...the hood ornament is new).

I couldn't tell you if the dog color changed in meaning somewhere down the road...or at what point the gold dog disappeared. But, in the "good old days", the gold dog simply meant Maxidyne...that's all.

I think I have a book around here somewhere that mentions it as well. I'll see if i can find it.

Thus sayeth The Weasel...

The gold Bulldog was placed on all Macks with the Maxidyne engine when it was introduced in '66. The engines were painted gold and remained that way until sometime in late '79 when Mack had to quit using the gold paint,the engines were then painted a sick orange for about a year or so,then,when the Econodyne engines were introduced,all engines were painted blue.from 'sometime in '81 on,the gold Bulldog was no more,all were chrome again until it was brought back to the hood of the CH and CL Elite package in about '93.. then a couple years later in was decided to bring the gold Bulldog back to all Mack powertrain spec'd trucks..

The gold Bulldog was placed on all Macks with the Maxidyne engine when it was introduced in '66. The engines were painted gold and remained that way until sometime in late '79 when Mack had to quit using the gold paint,the engines were then painted a sick orange for about a year or so,then,when the Econodyne engines were introduced,all engines were painted blue.from 'sometime in '81 on,the gold Bulldog was no more,all were chrome again until it was brought back to the hood of the CH and CL Elite package in about '93.. then a couple years later in was decided to bring the gold Bulldog back to all Mack powertrain spec'd trucks..

Thanks, 'Dog! I thought I was on target on the older stuff. It's the newer stuff I don't know st about!

was that nasty orange color the same one Mack used on the 300+ Mike? or was that more of a copper color? id like to find an original pic of a 300+ so I can paint mine the correct color. right now its been rebuilt and has a gold bell housing, orange heads and gold/gray block.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

yes,they were a nice copper color, I might have a brochure for one somewhere. I'll never forget when H&L Mack let us have one to demonstrate for a week. It was a plain jane R model,white with spoke wheels. We had F models at the time so it was kinda cool to ride in something with a hood. Dad thought is was OK,but didn't pull like his V8. Grandpa didn't like it,had to shift twice as much. I don't think there was anybody that loved the Maxidyne,5 speed combo more than my Grandpa did.

• Like 2

I'm glad you fellows posted the info about the gold bulldogs, because from driving Macks in the early to mid 70's I remember well that the gold bulldogs indicated a Maxidyne engine. This shows that my memory hasn't entirely failed me....yet. :-)