Does Mack make the rectangular air horns ?

Hi fellow Mackaholics ! I'm in the process of changing my original round air horn on my 1980 R 600 to a square rectangular horn. I was wondering if any of you guys know If Mack makes the horn kit and where it is available. I ordered one from a local place that sells used Macks and claims to get authentic Mack parts. When I got it, it was in a box from the "Excel" company and on the bottom of the horn was a sticker that said "made in Taiwain". There was nothing in the box except the horn: no brackets; gaskets; or bolts and when I started to install it the bolt and air connection holes didn't line up with the holes on the roof or the bracket in the headliner. All that was included was a sticker which said "Mack" to stick on the snow shield over the "Excel" writing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !

Take a look at Mack part no. 38MR4162. It's a Hadley rectangular single trumpet applicable to R/U/DM models.

Note that the air valve will be different from the round Grover air horn you have now, and needs to be changed.

If you deal with a Mack dealer on this, ask to see a picture of the mounting arrangement for this horn on their computer.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Speaking of air horns..... 

Does anyone know when Mack went from round to square horns?  Pretty sure I read it on here at one time but I sure can't find it now.  I always assumed it was at the Superliner 1 to 2 changeover.  But I've seen some 85s RWs with round horns... which is what got me wondering.  Anyone know?  Is it possible to narrow down the year of a Superliner somewhat just by looking at its horns?  I have seen an early Super 2 brochure with round horns but don't know when the change happened.  

15 hours ago, sodly said:

Speaking of air horns..... 

Does anyone know when Mack went from round to square horns?  

As far as I know, either horn (Hadley or Grover) could be spec'd/ordered.  The "standard" horn may have been Hadley (rectangular).

• Like 2

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Being at my neck of the woods I'm difficult to became an expert.

But from what I saw in multiple Mack sales brochures both trucks with rectangular and round horns were avalible at the same time.

Talking to original rectangular horns they were made by Hadley. If Mack sells them there is the sticker almost applied on. If you buy from Hadley dealers the script "Hadley" is right there. And you can buy the sticker from Watts for $1 to make it OEM look. Doesn't save the cost though.

Sure in both cases the brackts are included.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

The excel horn is from PAI they come with everything to install the ones I have replaced are or have enough the round ones I bought exact replacements i.e. the 24 inch and they fit the holes and everything just fine.  You can buy 2 excel for the price of one Mack through the dealer.  

If the guy who originally posted this wanted different horns then the holes would not line up seems pretty obvious as far as not having the mounting pieces the place that sold him the horn must have been an open box.  I have purchased several and the quality is great chrome plated is nice and it has all mounting hardware.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Round on a Superliner were till 1984 and were made by Grover. From 1985 on they were square and made by Hadley. I just put a set on mine this summer bought them at my local Mack dealer the square ones made came in a Hadley box all the mounting gaskets included with Mack end caps on them just like the factory ones I took off . They cost me $150  Canadian a piece.  Watts Mack has them in their site . I'm pretty sure the mounting holes are different between Grover and Hadley horns so if you switch to square ones you might have a few new holes to drill and a few old ones to fill .

Edited by BAD DOG
Spelling error and addition