Corbitt

doubleclutchinweasel

Nice- Wheels of Time had big article on Corbitts a while back. Only memory I have of them is big Army surplus wreckers (tnk retrievers) from WW II

I double it.

Being not a big American truck expert though.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

There were some nice Corbitts at the ATHS show in Colfax,NC last year,first I'd ever seen any in person......................................Mark

Yep, they always have some nice ones there.

attachicon.gifCor100_3447.jpg

attachicon.gifCor100_3463.jpg

attachicon.gifCorbitt100_3439.jpg

Pretty classy...

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I would totally enjoy seeing these trucks. My first time going to Brads Farm I planned poorly on getting there and also missed other dog. I'll look in my WOT mags to see when the event is and try and go. It is always better to get a place to stay in order to not feel rushed.

Thanks for sharing!

mike

This used to be at the shows too, but I haven't seen it the last couple years. It's not as tall as the other one.

This was taken in Greensboro when they had that show at the NAPA warehouse. Same show, they just moved it slightly west to the farmer's market in Colfax.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 10 months later...

Wish I had the $ for the TALL Tall Boy! Does anyone know who the original nine of the 600's were built for? The Gardner engine sure sounds unique, I wonder the minimum number of cylinders that could be used in no load mode.

There was an article on the trucks in Wheels Of Time magazine.

At least some of them were built for Turner Transfer. Turner did a lot of machinery moving and rigging and crane work. Guy Turner learned about Gardner diesels during a trip to England. He was impressed that they could run at slow speeds for long periods of time without any problems, which is something the Turner trucks did when using a mounted crane. A truck that could carry a crew of men was also desired.

I would suppose there were instructions on the pattern of which cylinders to have shut down to keep the engine running the smoothest.

The auction:

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/showimage.cgi?lid=2236130&type=at&in=1

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/showimage.cgi?lid=2236130&type=at&in=2

6 or 8 cyl Gardners idle at 420rpm.. wonderful engines but you've got to understand the 1932 technology, even in an engine built in the 70's... and don't forget to pack your Whitworth spanners..!!! Going over my old manuals as I write this and remembering how different they were from other makes, but fuel misers they were.... the big 8LXB only put out a max of 240bhp but gave the boss another .5mpg compared to similar bhp of other makes available in the 70's.

how many cylinders can you cut out?.. well, I drove an old Atkinson Borderer tractor unit with a 6LXB home with four cylinder levers pulled shut.. it was slow and shakey.... was reputed to be the best British bus engine ever by many operators and once the bus was scrapped the engines were sent to Hong Kong for another life in the junks of HK harbour.

BC Mack (now returned from the seventies)

Thanks! That is some fascinating info about another lost era of heavy truck design.

There was an article on the trucks in Wheels Of Time magazine.

At least some of them were built for Turner Transfer. Turner did a lot of machinery moving and rigging and crane work. Guy Turner learned about Gardner diesels during a trip to England. He was impressed that they could run at slow speeds for long periods of time without any problems, which is something the Turner trucks did when using a mounted crane. A truck that could carry a crew of men was also desired.

I would suppose there were instructions on the pattern of which cylinders to have shut down to keep the engine running the smoothest.

The auction:

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/showimage.cgi?lid=2236130&type=at&in=1

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/showimage.cgi?lid=2236130&type=at&in=2

Thank you very much. It makes a lot more sense why that type of engine would have been installed. And you're right, there would have to be a shutdown procedure that would allow the engine to maintain its balance while running on a reduced amount of cylinders.