Ever forgot to open/close your tailgate?

I've been around dump trucks my whole life, and I have to admit that on occasion I have forgot to shut the tailgate. It's pretty embarrassing to back up to a machine, and be almost loaded and have the gate swing open and two or three yards of material hit the ground. The man I bought my RD from came up with what I thought was a pretty neat idea. He put a brake light switch on one side of the air gate switch, and ran it to a red PTO light in the dash. When it's open, the red light is on. When you close the gate, the light goes off. I know everybody here is a professional that would never forget to close their gate, but I've never had an 'accident' in the three years I've been running this truck. I just thought it was a neat idea and that I'd pass it on to my fellow dumptruckers.

Jake

Yeah, I haven't very many times, but it has happened. Aw, it's going pretty good. We had a bit of an ice storm blow through, and now it's thawing out and the ground is rotten everywhere. Gonna try to start a clearing job in the AM. How about y'all? You still coming up here to look at those DM's anytime soon?

Jake

We got a lot of rain and it's been in the 40's. I hauled one load of gravel today and am suppose to work nights the next two weekends. I'm waiting on Mr. Baker to call me back when he gets all the titles in hand. I'm trying to decide whether to convert the '86 or '94 into a dump truck. What do you think?

I've forgotten to latch one and loaded rock, felt like a great big dummy. I also had a pin break on a cylinder and one popped open, was still at the crusher so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Damn, I've seen dump trucks do that but never a trailer, they normally flop over before they get that far

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I'm with '84. Never seen a trailer truck stand up. I bet the driver had to hunt some clean drawers. Lol my dad ran alot of single axles when I was a kid, and I remember stumps and broken up concrete hanging up and before you know it you're looking at clear blue sky. Lol

Jake

I pulled a frameless hilbilt that would raise real high...the rear rear tractor wheels could touch the forward trailer axel when the box was up...

The slop in the 5thwheel showed that the trailer was trying to go over center when pulling forward.... I bet he had the same set up to do that.....we call it " rocket man"

I was following an RD the other day that obviously had been hauling asphalt when I noticed the gate latch had been left open. I remember thinking this will not end well.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I was following an RD the other day that obviously had been hauling asphalt when I noticed the gate latch had been left open. I remember thinking this will not end well.

Asphalt plants around here are glad to help you remember to close your gate next time by handing you a shovel and pointing at the pile you just left on the scale. I've seen several drivers do it once but never seen anyone do it twice.

Years ago I used to work for a company that did land clearing and hauled all sorts of wood products and construction

and demo waste. %99 of the time I pulled an East Genesis end dump or my East walking floor. One day they asked if

I would take a load of C&D to the landfill in the East tipper trailer. So I did. The walking floor and tipper were very similar.

I backed on the tipper, opened the door and sludge lock and the operator raised the trailer, next thing I heard on the CB

was "nothings coming out, oh he forgot to undo the other sludge lock" SHIT! They lowered the trailer and I walked around

the back to see the door bent out about 2 feet on the drivers side and closed on the other side. I forgot the tipper had 2 sludge

locks on it, my walking floor only had one. The operators brought the backhoe over to put pressure on the door while I

opened the other lock. They raised the trailer again and all the C&D slid out. The whole time I thought I was completely

screwed, but when they let the trailer down and I went to close the door it was only tweaked about an inch and it shut with

ease. I got lucky. Didn't make that mistake twice!

the county highway dept up here had a 'driver' leave the tailgate open last summer hauling sand, never noticed it after leaving the yard and right thru the village. spread sand all thru the village and up about 5 miles of state road before he realized it... I think the box was about empty at the end.... also seen a hired on truck for Hanson dumping blacktop into the paver, raise the box and the tailgate pins broke and the gate landed in the paver, along with all the blacktop...

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I've got countless tailgate storys but the best mess I saw was a windrow belly dump with spread chains set accidently trip on the freeway at 65 mph and hauling drain rock, what a flippin mess I think the company had 20+ cars in the body shop. w.s.p. closed the freeway while we took a grader out to clear the rock. after that all trip switches got moved so c.b. cords couldn't get caught on the toggle sw.

• Like 1

Not a tailgate opening story but quite the mess anyway. I was working in Jersey around Exit 9 on the Turnpike going about 60 MPH when driveshaft let loose and ripped the hydraulic line open along with air and electric lines. They had to close Turnpike down and have TP dump trucks bring sand to absorb the mess. I never received a ticket from the State or cost of cleanup. Towing and repairs were quite a bit as I remember this was in the 1990'S. Story still comes up at times in the huddle in mornings waiting to load. Joe D.