Mack Military – The Revolutionary Mack MB-3 8x8 Aircraft Fire Fighting “Crash” Truck

In 1959, legendary fire apparatus manufacturer Mack Trucks designed and produced several prototypes of a revolutionary new high mobility fire/crash truck at the request of the United States Air Force.

Designed with a cross-country capability to reach remote crash sites, the Mack MB-3 had a forward-control, cab-over-engine configuration and was the first Mack Truck to have an 8x8 drive axle configuration.

The roof of the cab was fitted with a circular hose storage bin (almost resembling an oversize machine gun mount) from which coiled water hose could be easily drawn by firemen from any possible angle.

A pivoting remotely controlled foam nozzle was mounted on the front of the truck.

A rear-mounted V-8 engine drove power thru an automatic transmission and high-mounted centrally located transfer case. The forward and rear differentials were classic examples of Mack Truck’s engineering expertise. A single differential drove each bogie via 4 driveshafts exiting the differential in an “X” pattern (see photo 9 below).

Mack designed a cutting edge fully independent suspension for the MB-3 utilizing a torsion bar suspension.

Utilizing Mack's brilliantly engineered king pin-driven portal type axle design, the final driveshafts were positioned above the hub centers. The MB-3's unique portal axles operated similarly to the king pin-driven triple-reduction front drive axles on the Mack NO/NQ (model FA49) and M123/M125 (model FA491). The hub reduction design eliminated the need for universal joints within the hubs, reduced stress on the differentials and provided extremely high ground clearance. The lowest point of the truck was the sided panels at 14-1/4 inches.

Though all 8 hubs were driven via the king pins, only the front two axles pivoted for steering.

The brake drums were mounted inboard on each side of the differentials, rather than at the wheel hubs (Note photos 6, 7 and 9 below). This arrangement located the drums at a higher location where they could remaining dry while fording water.

The MB-3 had a 128 inch wheelbase (tandem center to tandem center), and weighed in at 21,435 pounds. The truck overall was 22 feet long, 122.5 inches tall and 96 inches wide.

The approach and departure angles were superb, at 55.5 and 43.5 degrees respectively.

My friend, I have several very good photographs. But since a few weeks ago, the website is no longer allowing me to post pictures.

When BMT allows me to post pictures once more, I'll quickly add the supporting photographs. I apologize for the inconvenience.

There is a photo of a USAF MB-3 on page 183 of Harvey Eckart's book, "Mack Fire Apparatus, A Pictorial History". kscarbel, were any MB-3s ever put into service? When I was in the USAF

the crash trucks from the 1950s were O-10s, O-11As, and O-11Bs, all built by American LaFrance. None of my training manuals mentions an MB-3.

bulldogboy

There is a photo of a USAF MB-3 on page 183 of Harvey Eckart's book, "Mack Fire Apparatus, A Pictorial History". kscarbel, were any MB-3s ever put into service? When I was in the USAF

the crash trucks from the 1950s were O-10s, O-11As, and O-11Bs, all built by American LaFrance. None of my training manuals mentions an MB-3.

bulldogboy

The first truck was delivered in July 1959 and was still being tested at Aberbeen Proving Grounds as of March 1960. The final prototype was still undergoing long-term testing in the mid-sixties.

Must not have made the final cut. When I joined the service in 1970 the crash trucks were O-11As, O-11Bs, and the newest were 1960s FWD P-2s. In the mid-1970s the Oshkosh P-4 came along to replace the Os.

Too bad, I would have liked to have seen an MB-3 in action.

bulldogboy

What was the v-8. I don't believe Mack had a v-8 diesel until 1062.

No, it was a V-8 gasoline engine. However, I don't believe it was the 286hp 844cu.in LeRoi T-H844 V-8 used in the Mack M123 during the same time period. I'm trying to surmise what make engine it was and I'm leaning towards it being a Chrysler Hemi.

IF BMT allows me to post pictures again, you'll see it has twin carburetors, each with a mushroom air cleaner and appears to have spark plug access holes with rubber grommets in the valve covers.

Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Aberdeen, Maryland, outside of Baltimore, is the Army's main test, evaluation, research, development, engineering, and training location, Established in 1917, is used for testing vehicles, tanks, field artillery weapons, ammunition, trench mortars, air defense guns, the developmental testing of small arms and years ago railway artillery. The U.S. Army Ordnance Center and School there provides mechanical maintenance training for 20,000 U.S. Army personnel annually.

Perhaps if you deleted some photos from very old posts it would free space for new pictures

Although it troubles me to remove supporting photographs from posts on the history of trucking that are being discovered by newcomers both young and old with each passing day, I did try deleting a few pictures to see if it would yield disc space and allow me to again post pictures. It did not.

My available disc space went from 3.91 to zero instantly, which I find odd. And given how ridiculously cheap disc space is in year 2013, there shouldn't be any limits.

Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Aberdeen, Maryland, outside of Baltimore, is the Army's main test, evaluation, research, development, engineering, and training location, Established in 1917, is used for testing vehicles, tanks, field artillery weapons, ammunition, trench mortars, air defense guns, the developmental testing of small arms and years ago railway artillery. The U.S. Army Ordnance Center and School there provides mechanical maintenance training for 20,000 U.S. Army personnel annually.

I was a DoD Civilian Firefighter there for 8 years....LOL

Got to know a lot of the various truck manufacturer's representatives and contractors pretty well, especially the Oshkosh guys. Building Inspections in the vehicle maintenance/service areas and the testing areas downrange took a lot longer for me to do than everyone else. :whistling: Got to take a lot of stuff for drives "when no one was looking."

By the way, OC & S headquarters has moved to Ft. Belvoir, Va (I think....cant remember for sure...) The Ordinance Museum has also moved as well, although there are still some tanks, vehicle guns and other mobile pieces remaining at APG, as well as the restoration shops.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

You don't wait in that line with lights and sirens.....And even if we were going non-emergency, there is another entrance I could tell you about, but I would have to kill you.

Oh yeah I know. I signed in there for I say little that isn't commom knowledge.

Come on now guys, everybody knows that the government eould never have secrets! geez, like anybody would believe there was a second entrance to Aberdeen, and I guess those were more than just empty containers running up and down the roads of Iraq on the back of our HET's too, oh wait, Shhhhhhhh! :whistling:

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The amount of engineering that went into that vehicle just to make a testbed for the desired end user is nuts, there is no company left in the US if not the world htat would go to the trouble to build that, instead they would send you a computer model, oh and charge you for it.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

That is sooooo AWESOME! People talk about modern engineering? That was way more sophisticated than any of this garbage we have nowadays. And like 84superdog said, the fact that they would go through all the trouble and time and money to build that just to show off is just amazing. I love it.

Ben

• Like 2
post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j