"COMFO-VISION" cab?

Bigdogtrucker

FWD & Oshkosh also used the Comfo-vision cab. One important note in regards to the use by Diamond T, when the design was use on the 950 / 951 chassis, it was modified & assembled longer in the cowl & deeper in the cab. I forget exactly how much, but these were quit different.

Rick

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

post-10459-0-14459600-1378559222_thumb.jDuring the post war late 40's,No one knows exactly how much input Diamond T had in the development of the Comfo Vision Cab, But there was a lot of interaction on a personal level of the Design and Engineering departments with IH. Diamond T also built some heavy duty, special order R model IH's on their Chicago line. Attached is a picture of an Emeryville prototype badged as a DT taken outside the DT plant.

The Comfo Vision cabs were stamped by the Chicago Cab Co and Diamond T assembled their own so there are some differences in cab mounts and cowl configurations. I do not know if the other companys who used them bought the pieces or bought them assembled??

In 1958-9 when White Motor bought out Diamond T, the close working relationship with IH dissapeared and in 1960 the DT production moved to the REO plant in Lansing Mich using the REO cab with an optional Autocar cab. By 1965-66 the Autocar cab became standard, Then on May 1st, 1967 White motor combined the two and created the name Diamond REO.

• Like 2

Brocky

Well, that's off the list then...

Did Cook Bros use the cab on some of their trucks?

Yes, Cook Bros made use of the CV cab.

Others are correct that Diamond Reo never used the CV cab, doubtful if Reo did. Need to go look in the archives.

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

Big Dog

You could say that, or the reverse!! Here is a picture of the DT 931 COE badged a REO. In the 60's White Motor was building DT's, REO's and heavy duty special order White's all on the same line in the old REO plant in Lansing Mich. We had a long discussion of this a couple of years ago on the old ATHS What Am I? forum. There was definitely a lot of mix and match of parts going on. It was possible for three identical trucks to come down the line and then come out the door badged three different brands!!! We guess it was what ever brand the customer wanted or what White though might sell..

post-10459-0-14641200-1378644200_thumb.j

Brocky

Vision

Thanks for the Hendrickson Picture, as they continued to buy and use IH Cabs for most of their truck building years.

Green Dash

Since in 1955 (+/- a year) DT already had the 921 "China Closet" COE which got squared off to the 931 in 1961 for their own COE. The DT historians believe that this picture was an example of how close the DT and IH design and engineering departments worked together from the end of WW2 thru the White purchase days. DT originally contracted the Murty Bros of Portland OR design the "low cab forward" model which IH liked and eventually bought the rights to. Appearently the truck in this picture was built in the DT facility in Chicago by and/or under contract to IH during the middle 50's as a COE to replace the Highbinder. Whether it was for lack of space in Springfield Ohio or for industrial security purposes is unknown? So to answer your question, YES, DT / IH pulled the double stacking maneuver about 10 years ahead of Ford.

Brocky

• 8 years later...

think you meant N model....i know a guy that has one,,,first time i saw it i thought it was a ford.also miss the days we were using the plain aluminum trailers they looked alot better that the white were all using now ...bob

17 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

Also you can see the C model Ford in the F model Mack.

Bob is right, I think you are thinking of the "N" model Mack??  About the only part of the "F" model Mack that looks the same as the Budd cab is the windshield size and curvature..

Brocky

Brocky-As you know at one time Mack had the Budd Cab N-model. At about the same time Mack was making in house (I believe) F Models. Like you say they are similar in windshield size and curvature. It seems to me that these similarities were not by accident. I wonder if anyone has more information on the development of the F Model Mack.😗?

On 9/8/2013 at 8:12 AM, Brocky said:

Big Dog

You could say that, or the reverse!! Here is a picture of the DT 931 COE badged a REO. In the 60's White Motor was building DT's, REO's and heavy duty special order White's all on the same line in the old REO plant in Lansing Mich. We had a long discussion of this a couple of years ago on the old ATHS What Am I? forum. There was definitely a lot of mix and match of parts going on. It was possible for three identical trucks to come down the line and then come out the door badged three different brands!!! We guess it was what ever brand the customer wanted or what White though might sell..

post-10459-0-14641200-1378644200_thumb.j

That building is still there. I go up and down that street all the time. If anyone is familiar with George's truck repair and heavy towing its about 50 feet to the left of the railroad tracks.

• Like 1