To Salvage or Not to Salvage

Needing your years of knowledge on a possible buy. I found a 2006 Freightliner Classic, 515HP Detroit, 13 speed, bigger double sleeper, in good condition. It has a salvage tidal from being laid over on the driver side, looks as if they did a good job on the build. Except for all the standard watch signs (tire wear, body alignment, frame, etc.) what might be more concerns with a salvage. I will be paying cash, it has 164K miles in the low $30K's. Thanks for any help.

I would want to see receipts for replacing maina nd rod bearings and an oil sample, the biggest thing you may run into is the engine run on its side and burned up a bearing in the bottom end, other than that everything is fixable, the 14L 515 Detroit is a pretty decent engine, not as reliable as the pre 07 series 60 12.7 but not bad, the egr and turbo will be your trouble spots.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Another issue as of late with any series 50 or 60 Detroit is liner cavitation. If the guy hasn't been keeping an eye on his coolant it could have done some serious damage to the blocks counter bore as well. Still not a bad motor, pretty simple design even with DD's EGR crap.

• 4 weeks later...

+1 on what 84 Superdaog said. With all the "baggage" on this truck I would look for a pre-03 DD. From what I have heard an EGR Detroit is hit or miss as a good engine. Some pull good and get 7.5 mpg, others can't outrun a '66 VW bus and get 4.5 mpg. If I were gambling with $30K I would get an '02 or older. I will take my '99 Western Star with a 12.7 DD to the grave with me (and there will still be life left in the truck!!)