Ford’s Futuristic Gas-Turbine - “Big Red”

kscarbel

• 3 weeks later...

I am always surprised by the interest in Big Red and the turbine program. Yes, Big Red still exists. It was purchased from Holman-Moody years ago but not by Ford. The truck had been repainted in a shade of red that was not flattering. A great deal of time and money was spent putting the original colors back on the truck. The two 40-foot Fruehauf trailers have not been located, although I do have the bogie that went between the trailers that was also made by Fruehauf.

The pictures you see with the smooth front are early photos. Engineers learned early about the heat buildup under the cab while idling for long periods of time. The additional grille opening resolved the issue.

Big Red Owner

John

Hi like to contact you for my wife's uncle is the driver of Big Red for it's cross country tour. He has log books uniforms and promotional advertisement. He is very reminiscent of the old truck and talks about it all the time. would like to bring him to see old red before it is too late. Please advise of what your thoughts are and let me know,

Todd

• Like 1

John

Hi like to contact you for my wife's uncle is the driver of Big Red for it's cross country tour. He has log books uniforms and promotional advertisement, He is very reminiscent of the old truck and talks about has time traveling in Big Red all the time really all the time. Would like to contact you to possible bringing him to see big red. He up there in years like to do it before it is too late. please advise of what your thoughts are and let me know. I am in Michigan

Thanks again

Todd G.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Here's 170 photos unfortunatly in no particular order, of most everything turbine powered at that period, except the Mopar cars that all know of.   Paul

http://s890.photobucket.com/user/ptcheshire/slideshow/TURBINE%20POWER

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 4 years later...

Since Kscarbel linked to this thread I thought I’d bump it back to the front. 

If I’m reading his profile correctly Bid Red Owner follows this thread (though he hasn’t logged on since February 2019) so maybe he will see this and provide an update on Big Red’s status and location. 

DavCut

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DavCut said:

Since Kscarbel linked to this thread I thought I’d bump it back to the front. 

If I’m reading his profile correctly Bid Red Owner follows this thread (though he hasn’t logged on since February 2019) so maybe he will see this and provide an update on Big Red’s status and location. 

DavCut

good move!

Swishman I think it was just a concept truck

Gas turbines were good at highway speeds but sucked heaps of fuel when travelling in town 

The B 47 and B 52 bombers sucked bucket loads of fuel at low level but could be leaned right out once they had a high altitude 

Im guessing that was with the old early style jet engines, I'm pretty sure the jet engines got a lot more economical in a few years time 

Im surprised that this technology never made into the auto industry 

Paul