After a long day of haying.

Timothy Maikshilo

After haying, I just wanted a shower as fast as possible!

We didn't have a round baler or one of the big square balers that shoot out a "cord" sized bale either.

Finally, got a drag style bale buncher and thought we were livin' large!

Jim

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

My neighbour always liked a tall glass of cold milk after we finished doing hay. Don't really know how he could drink that on a 100 degree day? I'd rather have the beer myself or at least a big glass of kook aid or something. And yes a good shower is a must shortly after. I always hated all the chaff you get in the inside of your clothes stuff gets in the darnedest places.

After haying, I just wanted a shower as fast as possible!

We didn't have a round baler or one of the big square balers that shoot out a "cord" sized bale either.

Finally, got a drag style bale buncher and thought we were livin' large!

Jim

I picked up many, many hay bales when I was a kid, right up until I finished school and went to work. The first thing I ever remember driving was a Farmall C in the hay field, before I even started school. I would just steer between 2 rows of bales while my Daddy and Grandfather loaded the wagon. Daddy would jump on at the end of the field and turn up between 2 more rows, then jump off and load the wagon.

We raised hogs and some crops, but Daddy did a lot of work for other people because he had all the equipment- mowers, rake, baler, bush hog, combine- a pull type, IH 80- a mounted corn picker that fit a Ford 5000, and so on. By the time me and my two brothers were teenagers we could run all of it.

I liked combining and picking corn, and baling hay. My older brother would rake and I would bale. That was fun, but then we usually had to help get the hay up- I think we might have been part of the deal!

My younger brother and I used to help a guy that lived near us in they hay field all the time. His son was a grown man, in his 20's, we were still teenagers, but he always drove the truck and drank Budweiser and we had to stack the hay. His daddy told us "y'all have to stack it, because y'all know how- if Hugh stacked it we'd never get out of the field without it falling off".

It wasn't bad at all though because they had a conveyer thing that hooked to the side of the truck, which was a C50 Chevrolet dump truck, and brought the bales up to you so we didn't have to pick it up off the ground and throw it on the truck.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

late teens early 20's /i would go unload hay trailers; Screw that Yeah it made you strong and all that crap but I have no use to ever look at another hay trailer. Now 100 plus pounds heavier and blood pressure problems I think I would keel over

• Like 1

late teens early 20's /i would go unload hay trailers; Screw that Yeah it made you strong and all that crap but I have no use to ever look at another hay trailer. Now 100 plus pounds heavier and blood pressure problems I think I would keel over

yep, when I was 16 or 17 I could throw a bale of hay from the ground all the way over a loaded hay wagon, stacked 37 feets high. Might have been 73 feet high, I don't remember. A man we were helping once told me "damn, if I was as strong as you i'd stand in the middle of the road and stop traffic just to see who I could whip"...now I get tired walking to the mail box!

• Like 2

What the heel is this "baler" and "hayin" crap you fine folks are discussing? LOL

You must have been a "city boy". :whistling:

We never had a shower so we "showered with the garden hose" to get off the hay crap and sweat.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

You must have been a "city boy". :whistling:

We never had a shower so we "showered with the garden hose" to get off the hay crap and sweat.

That reminds me of more, we would go get in the Appomattox river to "pre-clean" and cool off. It was only a mile or so away down a dirt road, about knee deep or so, waist deep on the deep side, with a clean sandy bottom, probably about 50' wide. Great times.

• Like 1

Throwing the bales up on the wagon wasn't the hard part....thorwing it up in the barn loft from th wagon was the real killer! Couldnt breathe, couldnt see, hay dust sticking to every part of your body! Then we would get paid, a full day sweating on a Saturday got you a Moon Pie and an RC Cola!

Throwing the bales up on the wagon wasn't the hard part....thorwing it up in the barn loft from th wagon was the real killer! Couldnt breathe, couldnt see, hay dust sticking to every part of your body! Then we would get paid, a full day sweating on a Saturday got you a Moon Pie and an RC Cola!

that's it! my brother and I usually got stuck in the loft, but they had a conveyor with a gas motor on it to get the hay to us. we got to stack it in the barn with all the dust and no fresh air.

Watch out Tim, cabadian beer is stronger then anerican beer

Your right my friend but Long Trail Triple Bag comes in a four pack and is one harsh brew! I am truly enjoying everyone's stories on haying! My twin and I were the stacking gurus' in the haying community where we grew up and always stacked the trucks and wagons then stack in every barn around. Eye's stinging from sweat and hay dust, looking forward to running down to the pond!

I spent many summers throwing and loading hay bales for our horses. I remember one summer day my cousin was with me and help with the hay. He was two years older and much stronger than me. He was a city boy, but more of a gym rat/body builder type. I remember he was about useless. He couldn't throw a bale for nothing! I learned that day that there is more technique and skill to throwing bales than just muscle. You have to be able to leverage yours legs, knees, forearms etc to help offset the weight of the 50 lbs (or up to 90lbs) bales and sling them around. Man I don't miss those days.

I have to rotate the air in the tires on the FWD that day.

Years ago, there was a gas station in the little town I grew up in that offered a summer to winter air changeover for your car tires!

Even had a plywood sandwich board sign out front advertising it.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

After reading this, I realize how much of my youth that I missed.

Dad had a cabinet shop, so I was there. Sanding cabinets, helping make Formica countertops (that was good glue)

Helping deliver and install

Saturday was clean up day. Sweep floors and take scrap wood and stuff to the dump

Dad made sure we brought a bottle of Ballantine Ale for Mr. Gebert

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

dont know a thing about the hay racket,,,but it always looks like a lotta work to me,,,the hardest jobs ive ever done,,was changing those truck tires,,in the early 70,s...or delivering beer.both ballbusters,,,wouldnt even concider it at 57,,,would rather go on welfare..hahahahahahahahaha.bob