Those Hayes Clipper 100 COEs

kscarbel

• 3 months later...

Almost thirty years before Volvo introduced the Volvo-White Integral Sleeper, Hayes was already building them. The Mack B-model and Autocar "Driver Cab" of course also offered an integral sleeper option, but it wasn't as spacious as this.

Awesome truck. Hayes trucks are also good especially on logging industry.

• 3 years later...
On 6/27/2013 at 1:13 AM, kscarbel said:

As Hayes diversified under Mack ownership, they went after new market segments, The lightweight set-forward front axle MD-250 west coast vocational chassis was a prime example of product aimed to compete with Kenworth.

Note the modern appearance. Tell me this 1972 MD-250 doesn't remind you of the Kenworth T800 introduced in 1986.

post-5381-0-26241800-1372309840_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-39714100-1372309851_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-05770800-1372409405_thumb.jp

Doesn't that give hints of the last of the Mack RD models with their sloped hoods? That's what I see when I saw these pics.

Awesome thread. I have quite a few friends that ran Hayes trucks. The COE and conv highway models and the big fat trucks in the mountains of BC.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/26/2013 at 5:14 PM, mike69mackman said:

Seems to me Mack should've held on to Hayes .

Mike You missed one FACT Mack did not have a choice about selling Hayes Mack was ordered by Signal group to sell Hayes

or risk loosing the only capital supplier they had that is why Jack Curcio quit in 1973. So Your theory of what Mack should

have done is all BS.

high binder: yes there are a few left. one here in my town. tandem flat ,day cab picker boom. also we have one of the first model COE clippers in the truck collection.Have truck show coming in late AUGUST faeturing HAYES's 100 birthday . More than likely will be a lot of them there. The "crow bar" HD model produced between 1948 and 1952 was the start of HAYES's HD popularity. Then in 1952 they designed the HD model which they made till closeing. The two model HDX's were the HDX with 34 inch frame rails for standard trans, and allisson power shift trans and the WHDX which had the 40 inch frame rails to accomedate the CLARK 8000 series power shift trans. I drove a HDX from 1974 till retiement in 2000. Same truck all the time. Started out with 12V-71 with 65 injecters then in 1986 was replaced with CUMMINS KTA525

• Like 1

The overhead gauges were only on the early cabover before the Mack F cab.

The first Hayes COE with the F model Mack cab was in fact a re badged Mack built in Hayward California.

all  Hayes  frame rails were supplied by Wilkinson steel  Hayes copied the F model  frame design but those frame rails were manufactured  in Canada

by Wilkinson steel.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:59 AM, kscarbel2 said:

If you can't join the discussion and express your opinions/thoughts without being vulgar, then refrain from posting comments.

Respecting the opinions of others is a sign of good character.

OK Kscarbel2  I will stop using that abbreviation, but You might tell other people because I'm not the only one that has used that abbreviation.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:28 PM, kscarbel2 said:

The people in this picture are on the driver side Barry Thorne of Hayes Trucks, the customer now on the passenger side were Ted Price and

Orlie Reese of Hayes pacific sales the guy on the frame by the 5 wheel must have been with the customer.

LOUISGBONE: You are wrong as to when Hayes shut down. It was in SEPT, '75, not '74.I got my H D X in OCT 28,'74 and we got our last HAYES H D X in OCT '75. The next trucks to be bought by the outfit were PACIFIC'S. 3 P-16 W's with 3412 CAT V 12's. in 1979. Then no more till 1989 which were 5 PACIFIC's P-16's and 1 CHALLENGER. Hope this clears the air.

Hate to say this Bob Dingsdale  but Your wrong  My family owned the Hayes dealership for the lower mainland and Vancouver island from 1970 to 1974

We dropped the Hayes franchise sept 1 1974 because paccar said they were closing  the Hayes factory sept 30  1974  . After the closing of the factory

there was one HDX left unfinished for M&B Franklin river Div that truck was completed by Peterbilt truck sales/Western Hayes in January 1975.

3 hours ago, BOB DINGSDALE said:

LOUISGBONE: You are wrong as to when Hayes shut down. It was in SEPT, '75, not '74.I got my H D X in OCT 28,'74 and we got our last HAYES H D X in OCT '75. The next trucks to be bought by the outfit were PACIFIC'S. 3 P-16 W's with 3412 CAT V 12's. in 1979. Then no more till 1989 which were 5 PACIFIC's P-16's and 1 CHALLENGER. Hope this clears the air.

Bob I would like to know from which dealer You bought Your HDX from as for Your HD there were many still unsold HD's around in 1975.

All our HAYES'S came right from the factory. We even went to the factory to see them built. We started buying Hayes's in 1956 with 4 H D side cabs tandem log trucks with Hayes trailers, 12foot bunks, 275 ROLLLS-ROYCE diesels 5+3 trans and 4640- TIMKEN rear ends, 12:00x24 tires. All were purgused direct from the factory. There were quite a few Hayes's built in 75 . Some were carry overs from 74 and some were new orders . It wasn't till late summer of 75 that there was even mention of closure. There were other divisions in our company who started buying Hayes's earlier ,1948 20-19 models. Mainly we were Mack-LMSW-L with some Mack- LMSW-Ms bought from a contractor.

If You were buying them direct from the You would have been with 1 of 4 companies McMillan Blodel , BC Forest Products, Crown Zellarback,  

RW Saunders LTD or Tahsis Company from the way You describe things I'm going to say McMillan Blodel Franklin River division as for Mack LMSW

I know what those Trucks were but they were long before My time I didn't get started in the Trucking industry until October 1970.

2stacksuperdog: The Hayes family went into logging buisness by buying out PAT CARSON BULLDOZING and were hauling for us out of the CARMANA -WALBRAN area then took over all the logging around 2000. They did have a fleet of ugly green VOLVO's hauling out of the drylands then out of the bush.They are noe out of buisness.

• 2 weeks later...

In reading this thread it seems that SIGNAL ultimately failed Mack. SIGNAL took all of Macks profits for the benefit of SIGNAL and not Mack -MACK SHOULD NOT HAVE SOLD OUT TO SIGNAL!__ Signal/Renault/Volvo. Also it seems that Kenworth benefited greatly from the Hayes aquisition which Mack was never able to bring to fruition.

Edited by james j neiweem