Those Hayes Clipper 100 COEs

kscarbel

The clipper 100 looks better than the Mack version, looks more rugged is what I wanted to say. Did they use their own frame, or was that Mack also?

I forget if Brockway used their own frame with the 400 series, but I believe the Clipper 100 COE used F-model frame rails, drilled by Hayes to their needs.

The early F-model frame spec was 9 x 3-1/4 x 1/4 (Which UPS continued to use to the end)

Hayes was similar at 9-1/8 x 3-1/4 x 5/16.

Those are my favorites, with the big "H" made into the hood.

Here's one with the Peterbilt cab, and the old original with the overhead dash.

post-1374-0-40897300-1372325064_thumb.jp

post-1374-0-53295300-1372325092_thumb.jp

I've read stories and articles over the years that would indicate that there's a lot of resentment from Hayes truck fans towards Paccar, feeling that Paccar bought Hayes just so they could shut it down and eliminate the competition.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Those are my favorites, with the big "H" made into the hood.

Here's one with the Peterbilt cab, and the old original with the overhead dash.

attachicon.gifhc437.jpg

attachicon.gifhcp171.jpg

I've read stories and articles over the years that would indicate that there's a lot of resentment from Hayes truck fans towards Paccar, feeling that Paccar bought Hayes just so they could shut it down and eliminate the competition.

sounds familiar......

• Haha 1

Matt

On 6/27/2013 at 8:14 AM, mike69mackman said:

Seems to me Mack should've held on to Hayes .

John Curcio said, "In our industry, history has proven you must grow or perish. I can recall the names of over 50 companies who once made trucks. Today, there exist about 12 brand name trucks which survived and they are all basically controlled by six companies".

Mack Trucks sent hard charging ex-Marine John Curcio into Hayes to grow the company, and he did just that. Production rose from 50 units to 500 the first year, and had annual sales of US$20 million by 1973. Employee numbers rose from 80 to almost 500.

But, according to Paccar executive vice president Bill Gross who oversaw their purchase of Hayes, "I think they sold it because it made no money. In fact, I know that's why they sold it.....There was no profit in it whatsoever."

And to think that not too many years have passed since Vancouver lost Kenworth, Freightliner, Hayes and Pacific production factories...

I now work in the old KW Burnaby plant, much modified for a Transit overhaul shop and garage. I bump into Hayes and Pacific past employees occasionally with great memories of 'what could have been'... going to a Pacific guys retirement in a week, one of a small crew that built the very last one after the factory officially closed... it's a modern business park now.

BC Mack

• Like 1

Almost thirty years before the Volvo-White Integral Sleeper was introduced, Hayes was already building such a product.

The Mack B-model and Autocar "Driver Cab" of course also offered an integral sleeper option, but it wasn't as spacious as this.

Hayes Clipper integral sleeper (1).jpg

Hayes Clipper integral sleeper (2).jpg

• Like 2