Well I did it again, another Mack will soon be in the stable.

cf685f

I unloaded a firetruck last year to free up the shop and well my trucks have been lonely. I recently purchased site unseen a Mack B85. It runs and drive so I am told. Heavily used as a pumping/parade piece till 2005, after that occasional trips for fuel every once and awhile along with being inspected and tagged. I will get you all pictures as soon as I can.

Here are my questions for you all:

1) Does any one have a used B model manual for sale or a scanned verision?

2) If the truck has a 707 how many fuel filters came stock on it, where are they located and does any one have the filter specs?

3) Anything else you think I should check, before attempting to drive outside of grease, brakes, oil and antifreeze from experienced 707 owners.

For those of you that dont know, I love driving them home after purchase. I pick a two lane road and make a multi-day trip out of it going real easy. Oh and by the way, its a convertible so I hope it doesn't rain.

Thanks, for the help. :SMOKIE-RT:

• Like 1

Congrats Tim; Is it an open cab or a semi-open cab? Where is it coming from?

Unless it is re-powered, or diesel, it will have the 707. The museum package will have the manual included in it when you send them the chassis number.

I tried to find the account of Radnor's trip for your edification from Vermont to PA with their B75, but their site has changed. Pretty amusing about getting kicked off the NJT for going too slow due to a malfunctioning governor. After all of your other retrieval trips, I'm sure you will be well prepared.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Drove my B-95 from N H to Littz pa for the 100th ann of Mack, Sat Fire trucks with all the rest on Sunday. 707 AT 3 MPG eq broke , broke and more broke but it ran well at 60 mph. If I went slower I had to drive it, but at 60 it went right down the road 20 gall of back up gas in the bed and every gas staion I tried to pass on interstate 81 I stopped. Good luck with it and as allways any thing I can help, just ask ! Angelo B-95#1070 EX Port Chester NY

Ok, well I got a picture of it today to share. After the picture, I am really excited! I think its going to be a project, but not as bad as some of the ones I have tackled in the past.

For those of you talking about gas, you must know that the truck I just sold had a V-12 Lymcoming in it and it only got 1 to 2mpg going down hill, so this will be like I'm buying a hybird. :twothumbsup:

Does anyone know about the fuel filters on these? I am just looking at the screens in the fuel bowls or are there other places to check. I think the fuel tank is going to be my biggest problem.

krett1.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. This is my first B Model. I confirmed it still has a 707 in it and the paperwork says its a C. Not sure though. Will these trucks stock really go 60mph? That is faster than my CF.

Edited by cf685f

Is this the truck from Wilmington, Delaware area? I have a 1965 B95 with a 707C and there are two gasoline filters by the fuel pump. Unfortunately the truck is not close or I could take a look. Check the rear, transmission, oil, and radiator levels. As someone suggested take along extra oil - 40wt and radiator fluid. I drove mine back from Columbus, Ohio to outside of philly and just had to add oil at each fill up.

If it has juiced brakes check the fluid level, if air empty the tanks of water.

If it is the truck in Wilmington let me know, maybe I can help you out.

Mark

Yeap, its in Wilmington, DE as we speak. Thinking about heading up on the June 12 or 13th to dig into it. Trying to get up to the show Saturday myself, but cant get to the engine before Sunday. If anyone is close, I would enjoy the company and expertise. So far I have just been able to rope my dad in.

The engine had been floating around the internet for awhile for sale. I just couldnt stand it anymore and had to throw an offer out. He sleep on it, they asked me what I was going to do with it. He was worried I would part it. Told him I grew up near it Butler and family was close. Then he accepted, everyone else wanted to part it and he couldnt let that happen.

Thanks for the advice on the filters, any idea on their part #s. Trying to get some supplies before I go.

Also, 40Wt on motor oil (any kind you all like), 90wt on the tranny, pump transfer and rear end?

Not sure on the brakes. He couldnt tell me what they were.

bring it to the national muster at cooper river park in Pennsauken , n.j. aug3 2013 also you can join the cradle of liberty antique fire assoc ( check the website) we have a lot of mack in the group and it is a great source of info and help

This is what I have on filters right from the Mack spc sheet. oilfilter-485GB, oil filter cartridge 236GB, Oil filter 477GB , that's from the chart, no names or other info for a 707C . Will bring all I have to Macungie for my Mack, same as yours. 10x20 Tent set up right next to Fridays nights cook out . have a few beers and go over what I have

Albert, thanks for the offer. I will be at the SPAAMFAA summer national, but without an fireengine as I live in Raleigh. The truck has to be picked up in June due to space, so it will be long gone from there, unless you have a space around there that I may be able to get some temporary storage at.

Maddog93, thanks for the offer. I am trying to get to Macungie since I will be close Sunday, but getting off shift work these days is like pulling teeth for that Saturday. Best its looking now is that I get off Sunday morning and drive straight to Delaware. I will keep you all posted though. That show is always on my radar, just only so many days off. Thanks for the filter sizes, I am going to look around for some filters before hand to have in the truck.

Also, I was reading my old Mack firetruck library and they have multi weight motor oil listed as an option for a mix of driving in the 707C. The apparatus engine book I have says to only run straight weight 40 when operating in constant 90degree and above days.

Right now driving up from Raleigh sunday morning to be there late afternoon. I plan on looking over the truckthat night and working on the big stuff monday morning. If all goes well hope to be on the road late monday afternoon.

Nice Truck! Chances are being a 1954 that it has a 707B as the 707C was an option and I'm not sure if it was available in 54. Easy to tell: 707B has intake manifold and exhaust manifold on same side, 707C has intake manifold and exhaust manifold on opposite sides.

I might have a manual for that model, let me know if you don't find one.

I noticed in the ad that it mentions that some chrome is off the truck for plating. The photo shows a Rostand bell bracket but no bell or harp. If you don't get those parts with it I have a bell and harp for that truck/bracket that I would make you a good deal on.

From my experience, keeping it at 45 for the first 20 miles is a good practice as it lets all the parts kinda meld together before getting into highway speeds. The top speed of your B model will depend on where the factory geared it when it was made. Most early ones were direct in 5th, some were direct in 4th with 5th being OD.

Good luck with it!