Great Dane Pup Trailer

I am starting a new thread about my trailer. The trailer was picked up today in Phoenix by Old Dominion Freight Line. It should be delivered to their terminal in Duncansville (near Altoona) the week of May 13th. The MH has moved to #1 on my list. I need to get it out of winter hibernation (stored about 15 miles away) and checkout the air lines, gladhands, cable, and fifth wheel. Since I never hooked a trailer (yea, a newbie) does anyone have any constructive advice?

I posted pics in Photobucket of the trailer that were sent by the dealer. I will update the pics once I take delivery.

http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/pafarmer52/slideshow/2005%20Great%20Dane%20Pup%20Trailer

A bulldog pulling a great dane pup trailer...how coincidental...2 dogs.

Now that I caught it, what do I do with it? :whistling:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Once you back under if your not lined up right the trailer should move either way to line up with the 5th wheel. once you hear the distinctive lock. pull forward and give a tug. If it stays attached get ou and under the trailer looking at the kingpin and see if the latch is locked. If not do not move with it. Air the trailer up and do not forget the landing gear. Most are 2 speed gear. So if your cranking and cranking and it goes nowhere fast either pull out or push in to change range

If trailer does not have parking brakes, back up til you bump lightly. Hook up airlines and charge trailer. Set brakes on trailer and then back up to lock. As Sleepwalker said, give a slight tug to insure connection.

Oh, make sure trailer is raised up enough first

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Make sure its centered in both sides of the mirror,back under so about half the fifth wheel is exposed (check height) continue backing under till you hear a "click",pull against the pin (slightly) to ensure a good hook-up,make sure there is NO gap between the trailer and fifth wheel (if there is,pull release handle and pull back out from under it,lower trailer,and try again) make sure to raise your landing gear (being as its curbside,should be counter clockwise up) hook up air lines (red/emergency right-blue/service left) plug in you light cord,check all your trailer light functions,when you do get ready to roll,if your MH is equipped with a hand-valve (trolley) give it a pull,and make sure you have trailer brakes........after that, you should be good to go. nice trailer BTW! looks like an ex-furniture set-up,they throwing in the pads? they have about a thousand uses!..................................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

If trailer does not have parking brakes, back up til you bump lightly. Hook up airlines and charge trailer. Set brakes on trailer and then back up to lock. As Sleepwalker said, give a slight tug to insure connection.

Oh, make sure trailer is raised up enough first

Hell we could see how far he pushes it around the yard till he raises it. :tease: He'll be alright

Thanks for the hookup instructions. I thought that is how to connect but wanted some expert advise. I have seen it done many times but never actually done it myself.

Mark - yes the furniture pads are coming with the trailer. Just don't know how many but a "bunch".

• Like 1

Ken

Ken, Make sure the jaws are open on your fifth wheel before you back under the trailer. A little grease might be the place to start.

David - I know about the jaws being open and grease but thanks for the reminder. :) What do you recommend for grease? I have some Slik-Pak fifth wheel grease packets, use one on each side? Or use bulk grease?

Ken

That's going to make a nice "tent" to stay in for Macungie.

JT not sure if I will be ready to "tent' in Macungie. I prefer a nice bed and shower but eventually I plan to build living quarters over the fifth wheel. But you know about "best laid plans". I should have enough furniture pads to make a nice bed.

I need to get a walk-in door installed on the side so I don't get locked in. Anyone know where I can buy a door and where to get it installed? RV dealer?

• Like 1

Ken

lucas 5th wheel lube works wonders. But drips. PAcks might work or get out the grease gun

I have severe duty polyurea grease that I use for the farm tractors and equipment. Is that okay to use?

Ken

Trailer looks sweet!!!

Yup, that grease will work or pretty much any #2 grease will do the trick. You are not going to need a ton of grease on the wheel and make a mess. Squirt some grease on the wheel and spread it around with a little piece of cardboard to cover the WHOLE flat portion of the wheel.

Your trailer isn't going to be a lot of weight but the wheel needs to be covered so the trailer doesn't steer the truck because of a "dry" spot.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Trailer looks sweet!!!

Yup, that grease will work or pretty much any #2 grease will do the trick. You are not going to need a ton of grease on the wheel and make a mess. Squirt some grease on the wheel and spread it around with a little piece of cardboard to cover the WHOLE flat portion of the wheel.

Your trailer isn't going to be a lot of weight but the wheel needs to be covered so the trailer doesn't steer the truck because of a "dry" spot.

Exactly, just like Jim said!

Ron

Nice lil trailer! Like to find a longer version(my car is 20ft itself) and convert for my race trailer someday! More room for the lil missus and a shower/bathroom! Stainless would be really nice!!! LOL!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks for the hookup instructions. I thought that is how to connect but wanted some expert advise. I have seen it done many times but never actually done it myself.

Mark - yes the furniture pads are coming with the trailer. Just don't know how many but a "bunch".

Lots of uses for the pads! not an ex-mover alive worth his weight that has'nt spent the night on a stack of pads! great to lay on when working on the truck,make a good fender cover,damn good blanket when the heater quits! as far as the door,consult your local Great dane dealer,they can be ordered (a lot of the Nascar trailers have them) and its a relatively easy job,company i'm leased to has a trailer with a "people" door on the curbside,its used to access show merchandise in the nose of the trailer,i have i picture of me hooked to it,but its the wrong side to see the door!..............................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

How high should the front of the trailer be in relation to the fifth wheel? In other words when backing under the trailer, where should the front of the trailer make initial contact with the fifth wheel? Thanks again for all the instructions.

Ken