Driver training, old school

fifth wheel

Man thats something! thanks for posting! i'd sure like to see them try and teach a 5 and a 4 nowadays!...........................................Mark

"Where's the drive button? I don't see the R to back up"

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

No automatic, a/c, p.w. or 60 speaker stereo...that ain't no real truck.

Hatcity....Don't joke! I took my Dodge pick up in for the state inspection and the "tech" come s into the office andd asks me to pull it inside for him. See it has New Process 435 trans in it and he couldn't drive it. :twothumbsup:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hatcity....Don't joke! I took my Dodge pick up in for the state inspection and the "tech" come s into the office andd asks me to pull it inside for him. See it has New Process 435 trans in it and he couldn't drive it. :twothumbsup:

We had to bring our steel nose DM for a state inspection and the guy told my dad to open the hood and he didn't understand why he couldn't just flip open the hood and fenders. he didn't like the butterfly hood i guess

Matt

We had to bring our steel nose DM for a state inspection and the guy told my dad to open the hood and he didn't understand why he couldn't just flip open the hood and fenders. he didn't like the butterfly hood i guess

Since he couldn't just walk up and look at the motor, how did he do it? Have to get a step stool/ladder?

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

First thing-you will learn how to do a pm. oil changes, grease the chassis, learn the different parts of a truck and why/how they all work together. Yep, you're getting dirty so don't be wearing flip flops and a pretty boy shirt

Pretty Boy shirts and flip flops......huh. I cut my teeth on those important have to items and a cigar.

mike

First thing-you will learn how to do a pm. oil changes, grease the chassis, learn the different parts of a truck and why/how they all work together. Yep, you're getting dirty so don't be wearing flip flops and a pretty boy shirt

A good many greenhorns i see today would benefit from just such a program!.......................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Just watched a you tube video on shifting one of those trannies, seems confusing, would like to learn though. Seems like it would be fun once you got on to it.

Mike,a 5 and a 4 are pretty easy once you get the hang of it,getting to be a lost art. Only thing thats confusing (to me anyway) is after driving a Mack trans. everything is backwards, with a 5X4 the main is close,and the aux. is far away,takes some getting used to!.................................Mark

Mark, I've always wondered... do you shift all the way through the aux for every one gear in the main, or is it the other way around?

With a MACK quad box, you went from 4 direct to 5 direct. The low split/high split were basically the same ratio

And if I remeber correctly, using the aux in 5 was more of a downshift

On other 5x4, you could use all of them, but by the time you were in 4 direct, you were able to just hit 5.

A quick downshift could be used in 5, but i would just use 5 to 4 and then downshift the aux.

With Mack boxes, you had to determine if it was a SINGLE overdrive or DOUBLE overdrive. That would determine if you had skip 5th Direct. It's kinda confusing, but you have to look at the ratio's to see the issue with reduntant ratio's and the reason you skipped gears.

Have to look, I think Mack swaps the sticks around depending on which box. I think the Duplex has the compound on the far stick? The TRi and Quad are on the near stick.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Mark, I've always wondered... do you shift all the way through the aux for every one gear in the main, or is it the other way around?

Generally speaking, you shift the aux. for each gear in the main trans.- under, direct, over in the aux. for each gear in the main. However, there are differences in how this is done, mainly like freightrain said, if your main trans. is direct in 4th. gear or 5th. gear, some ratios are redundant, some gears are not used, etc.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Generally speaking, you shift the aux. for each gear in the main trans.- under, direct, over in the aux. for each gear in the main. However, there are differences in how this is done, mainly like freightrain said, if your main trans. is direct in 4th. gear or 5th. gear, some ratios are redundant, some gears are not used, etc.

Exactly Tom,you explained it better than i would,its not as complicated as it sounds though Jakebrake86.................................Mark