Driver training, old school

fifth wheel

Mike,a 5 and a 4 are pretty easy once you get the hang of it,getting to be a lost art. Only thing thats confusing (to me anyway) is after driving a Mack trans. everything is backwards, with a 5X4 the main is close,and the aux. is far away,takes some getting used to!.................................Mark

I remenber when mack drivers in the 60s would tell a driver that was running a road ranger that he played with a sissy bar. One driver told this road way driver that had a road ranger trans that some one that would put that stick in his hand would do any thing.

glenn akers

• 4 weeks later...

I came across this truck, it is unique and interesting. It belonged to the College of the Redwoods, Eureka CA. , and was used in their driver training course. From what I can find the College was founded in 1964 and had a variety of courses and one was truck driver training.

attachicon.gifphoto (170).JPG

196? Kenworth W 923, DD 871Tw/ jake, 5 & 4 transmissions, Aluminum frame and air ride.

attachicon.gifphoto (171).JPG

A second brake for the instructor.

attachicon.gifphoto (169).JPG

Bus seats fitted in the bunk for the students.

attachicon.gifphoto (168).JPG

The way it was back...

attachicon.gifphoto (166).JPG

All the gauges.

attachicon.gifphoto (167).JPG

Old school low air.

attachicon.gifphoto (165).JPG

Anyone know of someone that went to this college and took truck driver training?

FW ;)

The wig wag says 60's but an 8V71T wasn't offered back then the 8V71was

I see some nicer stuff in the background :whistling::twothumbsup:

NICER? Shoot I'll take that ol K Whopper if your not interested those old A models are sweet trucks. I always thought the ultimate collection would be an E9 Superliner, 3408 W900A ext. hood, KT600 359 ext. Hood, 8V92 GMC General and a Big Cam Dodge Big Horn.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

NICER? Shoot I'll take that ol K Whopper if your not interested those old A models are sweet trucks. I always thought the ultimate collection

would be an E9 Superliner, 3408 W900A ext.

hood, KT600 359 ext. Hood, 8V92 GMC General and a Big Cam Dodge Big Horn.

Don't forget the ULTIMATE U model Mack.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Don't forget the ULTIMATE U model Mack.

I hear ya Vinny, I just dont have a heavy enough girlfriend for ballast Im scared Ill tip over if I get one! Guess Ill stick to the centered cab trucks so Im a little farther away from the asphalt on the way over.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

NICER? Shoot I'll take that ol K Whopper if your not interested those old A models are sweet trucks. I always thought the ultimate collection would be an E9 Superliner, 3408 W900A ext. hood, KT600 359 ext. Hood, 8V92 GMC General and a Big Cam Dodge Big Horn.

I've owned every truck on your ultimate truck list less one and that one is the Bighorn I tried to buy one in the late 80's& the company told me that as soon as their new 9300 International was delivered they'd sell me the Bighorn but a Dodge collector offered him more than I did by about 6K

I've owned every truck on your ultimate truck list less one and that one is the Bighorn I tried to buy one in the late 80's& the company told me that as soon as their new 9300 International was delivered they'd sell me the Bighorn but a Dodge collector offered him more than I did by about 6K

Its not polite to brag! Lol, id love to find a W900 with a 3408 in decent shape but most of the old ones that are left are short hoods with a model Cats.