Workin on the Superliner

Go to solution Solved by hatcity,

Well I got some 3.65 carriers from Sevart LLC (thanks again) last week and decided to just go ahead and swap em. I got started had some help from Staxx and that's bout done. I have wanted to stretch my little 236" wb out a hair dab since I got the truck and while I was swapping carriers started staring at that. Long story short I've got everything ready to slide except one stubborn trunnion bolt and two cuts in my outer frame rails, then she's growing to a 277" wb. I have decided to use the rear crossmember bolt holes ( slightly reamed to 16mm)in the inner frame for my trunnion bolts(second from back) then I'm still using factory holes and alignment. More to come including pics soon.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Got a couple pics but nothing good yet I've been busy at work, I got all the old Denver brackets off and all the factory bolts out. I'm gonna try to get the rears slid back today and get em bolted up.

post-5240-0-32587100-1363962082_thumb.jp

post-5240-0-69796500-1363962117_thumb.jp

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Ok kids can anybody guess what uncle Ryan did on his day off?

He nearly broke his back stretching a truck.

post-5240-0-34892900-1363985988_thumb.jp

post-5240-0-16339400-1363986019_thumb.jp

post-5240-0-65774800-1363986063_thumb.jp

Well there ya go kids, I'm about half done. I have to break out the wire wheel and do some rust control between the frame rails, drill about a hundred holes and hook up a few air lines. I am glad to say there was not as much rust between the rails as I expected, I actually feared the worst but theres still some factory paint holding on. I guess I'll try to get more done after this next bit of rain and after I recover from doing this much myself( come on back Staxx). I can safely say having a 6000# crane available never gets old it is the only reason I could do this much.

Well there ya go kids, I'm about half done. I have to break out the wire wheel and do some rust control between the frame rails, drill about a hundred holes and hook up a few air lines. I am glad to say there was not as much rust between the rails as I expected, I actually feared the worst but theres still some factory paint holding on. I guess I'll try to get more done after this next bit of rain and after I recover from doing this much myself( come on back Staxx). I can safely say having a 6000# crane available never gets old it is the only reason I could do this much.

• Like 1

Here's a decent before/after.

post-5240-0-04215700-1363986642_thumb.jp

post-5240-0-01899900-1363986670_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Oh and no I have not Ray, I figured it might as well be kindof a reward after I get done to drive it at highway speeds.

looks like ya dropped a driveshaft also

Yep gotta get another 41" section and another carrier bearing now. I wsnted to put u joints in it anyway I have no idea how old those were but they were still tight.

I took a pic with my fenders and a 6' deck plate sitting on the dog just to see what I'm getting into thought id share. I think I'll go back with a longer ( more of a drop) fender in stainless hopefully beaded like those.

post-5240-0-05415500-1364248912_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Sweet. It still coming to Macungie?

I missed your post in there somehow Vinny, I'm still planning on making Macungie that's one of the reasons for the gear swap. I should make it as long as I can get some decent weather to work on her and my truck funds hold out. Its gonna cost me a couple grand to make the trip so I may have to try to get a load coming that way to cover fuel.

Oh and on fenders I'm going for the ribbed or bead rolled stainless to keep the 80's look goin.

Looks good...what was the before and after WB?

Edit...I saw your first post with the WB .

Question...did you add rail it or just slide the trunnion back,drill new holes and bolt in.? My RS700L sits factory at 206" and had a 36" bunk on it. Way to short with a bunk imo....I want to stretch it out and would think a 240" would look ok but seeing you were at 236" stock and went longer....I may want to put mine at 260" don't think I have that much extra rail behind my trunnion.

Lmack I just slid my trunnion back to the end of my inner frame rails. I cut the outers and moved the section I cut back with the suspension for a drill guide, I actually reamed the holes for my rear crossmember and used them for aligning my trunnion so I was sure it was straight. Nowim just drilling the remaining holes thru one piece (the inner) of frame so it makes it a lot easier and you don't need double frame behind the trunnion unless you have a dump bed or something else that puts a lot of weight back there. I got out the tape measure and measured from the back of my trunnion to the end of the inner frame rails, that tells you how far you can go( I have 3 more inches but like the ease of alignment using old bolt holes ) just add that to you wheelbase and there's your Max on factory frame rails.