Even Volvo would rather have a Mack

Volvo owns Mack and the GU is a Volvo with a bulldog on the hood, makes sense to me. Its just a reminder on who runs the show.

A Volvo with Mack Rents on the door would be a better way to drive that point home. Those who would find this picture unusual already know the back story.

Jim

A Volvo with Mack Rents on the door would be a better way to drive that point home. Those who would find this picture unusual already know the back story.

The name on a door indicates the owner, so having a Volvo with Mack on the door wouldnt be the better way to drive that point home.

Well if they are the same thing they sure do a good job of altering them. From what I have seen they do seem to look like different trucks to me.

Anybody done a photo-shop 50/50 of a Mack and a Volvo to see if they truely are 100% the sam rigs ?

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

Mack and Volvo trucks have a different cab/hood for now but the engine, chassis and fuel tank are the same. I still think its funny

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

It had Mack camelback rear suspension too so I'm guessing it fit the class 8 on/off road equipment hauler role better

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Well if they are the same thing they sure do a good job of altering them. From what I have seen they do seem to look like different trucks to me. Anybody done a photo-shop 50/50 of a Mack and a Volvo to see if they truely are 100% the sam rigs ? Mike

if they say there the same its because they dont know they are not the same truck i work on both they are not the same.......

if they say there the same its because they dont know they are not the same truck i work on both they are not the same.......

MP8s are the same as D13s. IShifts are a volvo trans. The Mdrive is an IShift with a Mack name to make Mack customers happy.

MP7s are the same as D11s.

How can you say you work on both but they're not the same? I work on red and green engines everyday. All the engines parts are the same, all the emissions parts are the same, all the ECUs are the same, the radiators and surge tanks are the same, the engine mounts are the same. Ive taken parts off of Volvo/green engines and put them on Mack/red engines. The only difference is how they package the parts. The Volvo parts say Volvo on the bag, the Mack parts say Mack on the bag but they're still the same part. I guess the air cleaner and valve covers are different.

If you work on them everyday how can you say they're different? Im not trying to be rude, Im just confused on your comment.

MP8s are the same as D13s. IShifts are a volvo trans. The Mdrive is an IShift with a Mack name to make Mack customers happy.

MP7s are the same as D11s.

How can you say you work on both but they're not the same? I work on red and green engines everyday. All the engines parts are the same, all the emissions parts are the same, all the ECUs are the same, the radiators and surge tanks are the same, the engine mounts are the same. Ive taken parts off of Volvo/green engines and put them on Mack/red engines. The only difference is how they package the parts. The Volvo parts say Volvo on the bag, the Mack parts say Mack on the bag but they're still the same part. I guess the air cleaner and valve covers are different.

If you work on them everyday how can you say they're different? Im not trying to be rude, Im just confused on your comment.

You are re stating previous info and missing one big part, he said "they are not the same truck"

You are re stating they use the same components, and you are correct, he stated they were not the same truck and he is correct. The trucks have different cab, hood, interior, suspension, badging, paint, the list goes on. I agree with you both they do use the same components however they are not the same truck just like Pete and KW use like components and are manufactured by the same company but are not the same truck.

:SMOKIE-LFT: Yeah that's funny, never though about it till now. Up here in Canada the Volvo rental dealers all use Macks for delivery trucks too. you would think they would use there own trucks. Thats kinda like a Ford dealer owning a Chevy tow truck ??????

I think its funny as hell! Goes to show Mack is the truck for vocational use.

You are re stating previous info and missing one big part, he said "they are not the same truck"

You are re stating they use the same components, and you are correct, he stated they were not the same truck and he is correct. The trucks have different cab, hood, interior, suspension, badging, paint, the list goes on. I agree with you both they do use the same components however they are not the same truck just like Pete and KW use like components and are manufactured by the same company but are not the same truck.

I hear ya. I only see from my point of view. Everyday I repair the same failures over and over again, it never matters what the hood says, its always the same problems.

Postings say The Volvo 13 engine has a lot of issues.A lot of problems with EGR system and DPF.I dont see this with Macks.If the systems are the same why doesn't Mack have problems?

They both had the same EGR problems. They updated the EGR Diff pressure sensor 3 or 4 times each time correcting a new problem. The venturi tube that the sensor bolts to was clogging from condensation so they added a rhino lining and a cute little jacket on the tube, so far so good. They both get high EGR temp codes from the coolers being clogged. All these updates where done to both the D13 and MP8.

The DPF problems are across the board, but it does seem like the Macks break the flexpipe more.

I would say I see more problems with Mack but I see more Macks then Volvos. I would think most problems are even across the board.

Idk what it was this morning but Mack trucks had some Volvos out and about on 68 in Western Md. either it was that gutless or the driver didn't have a clue how to drive but I smacked there Ass up hill grossing approx 120k. Door signs said Mack Trucks.

Idk what it was this morning but Mack trucks had some Volvos out and about on 68 in Western Md. either it was that gutless or the driver didn't have a clue how to drive but I smacked there Ass up hill grossing approx 120k. Door signs said Mack Trucks.

Sounds like testing being done around the Powertrain plant. When I was there last year, every test truck, Macks, Volvos, Volvo Buses, and UD trucks had "Mack Trucks, Inc. Allentown, PA" stickers on them.