Outdoor Surveillance Systems

farmer52

I had an "uninvited" visitor(s) to the farm last week...actually drove thru the yard and parked next to a building (with snow on the ground). Luckily nothing was stolen (albeit they tried) but I am sure they will be back. I am in the market for a motion activated wireless outdoor surveillance system. Ideally I would like the wireless camera to be battery powered since I will be installing cameras where there is no power supply. The farthest camera would be about 100 yards from the house. I started my interweb search but have not found exactly what I seek. I don't know what a system like this would cost (3-4 cameras) but $500 would not be out of my price range.

I thought about buying "fake" cameras but dismissed the idea. "Lead" is not an option since I would need to be present. All the buildings are locked but as I said before..."locks only keep an honest person out."

Seeking information and suggestions of systems to consider.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I am not sure what a set of cameras are worth but remember you may get them on film but the time you watch it your stuff may be long gone and if they do get in trouble with the law you will probably be madder about the outcome than your original problem.I was told by a security guy once your best alarm is a dog.I don't know if thats possible but you could also hide a board with spikes in the snow in the driveway it may at least make them think twice about coming back.

With all the stories of crime on the web, I'm looking into cameras too. Just in case. Had a guy in cleveland video his place getting robbed, and one of the guys even took his hood off, but they still don't know who they are? So, alot the cameras did.

My newest Northern Tool catalog just showed up, for $300 you can get a 4 camera system, I know they offer wireless cameras too, but you still need power to them. Still not foolproof.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Ken,

Check out Northern Tool and Equipment. They have a lot of security equipment. I have an ADT security system and am very happy with them. When I am gone I know the property is protected from theft, storms (a tree coming throught the roof), fire, etc. When I owned the funeral home we always published the calling hours in the newspaper and online. I always felt that I should hang a big sign out front saying "I AM NOT HOME I AM AT WORK, HELP YOURSELVES". With a securtiy system my fears were eliminated. You are familiar with my house and how far off the road it is, I have a driveway alert, that I bought from Northern, and it sounds if someone is coming down the drive. In case of an emergency I back up the security system with a 1911 .45 and a Remington 12 gauge.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

At the golf course I was having trouble with neighborhood kids drinking and fooling around out on the course. We got tired of the vandelism and talked to parents who said not my child out there. So we got those cameras hunters use to see what is in the area at night or day for hunting. Well we got 3 of them at Bass store put them out on the tree's where they would not be noticed and that weekend we had issues with kids, brought camaras in and down loaded pictures to computer and called the police. Boy where those parents shocked to see little timmy drinking on the course in the dark, The kids had no idea they where having pictures taken and they where crisp and clean. We spent 500 for 3 cameras and they worked for our situation with no power near by.

They have a Logitech security camera at work on top of a building that watches the whole area, except right behind the shop where it can't see. They can check it on the computers in the office, and on their phones.

My older brother put a motion detector type camera on some property my parents have a few miles from where they live. You have to drive down a private road into the woods to get to it. It's just wooded with a couple of fields, and their hunting cabin. It was my grandfather's old homeplace. He set the camera up to get pictures of the bears they'd seen there, not for security reasons. Somebody stole the camera.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Tuesday morning at 9:16am a maroon Buick drove into our dealership, drove all the way around the building and pulled up between two service bay doors, the guy popped his trunk lid, got out and put 3 used brake drums in the trunk, and one in the front passenger seat. Closed the door, closed the trunk lid, got in the car and was out of the lot in less than 1.5 minutes. One of our parts runners seen him as he was getting back into his car (just 15 seconds too late). We had the entire thing on camera, I headed out down the road and seen a Buick that could have been it at TSC and so did a FWPD officer, we both set on it for a minute then deterimined it wasn't it. PD left and within 30 seconds stopped a 2nd Buick that was not it either. Unless you have a very expensive system that can zoom in a picture after it is recorded (which we do) to check a plate, if you get lucky enough to have a good shot at the plate you have little or no chance of having better results then not having cameras at all.

Most of these people are rather brazen, have been doing it for some time and they scout out all there marks, watch them, see what is where and strike when they are ready. I might also add that at any given time there are 4 parts runners, 10 other parts salesman and counter guys, the warehouse manager and a number of mechanics coming and going through the area. These people don't care they just grab and run...

We had a bunch of old tires stold a few years ago. Had the crooks on camera nice shot of there faces. The images was not that good and could not see the faces good enough to identify them or the license plate. Long story short get a good camera that has a high resiloution.

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.

Good game cameras are good for places like that, make sure you get the ir version not the white light flash or they will see the flash and just take the camera. I have a couple that have the ir flash and you can set for stills or video I set em to shoot a 2 minute video every time they trip and if its dark it still works great since its got the ir light. I think they were about $80 ea at Dicks sporting goods.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"