H-Model factory air ride steering axle.

My father in-law had an H-67 with factory air ride steering axle.

Anyone ever seen one? I know that he really liked the way it rode and handled,it was powered by a 673P,9speed overgear with an Olen Granning tag axle and I know that he had it till about 71 & then sold it to a produce hauler in Florida.

I had an F715ST spec sheet from '62 (first year of the F),and an option listed was "air ride steer axle suspension"! Later spec sheets revealed,it maybe didn't go over too well. Petercar bragged about the offering on their 362 in like '86-7. I said,"Hell,MACK offered that in '62,where where you then,Peterbilt"? Was not aware of it on the H model.But,like the aftermarket kits available now,(Donvel) I'm sure some fabricator out there said,"why couldn't you have an air-ride steer axle"?

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

It was factory and was not aftermarke

The truck was a 62 Model and was purchased originally to haul explosives (blasting caps,dynamite,ammunition). I actually went with him to pick it up when he purchased it from the original owner,a man in Va. Who had 5 H- Models and it was the only one with this option.which he assured us was original. This truck had notebooks that went with it that documented every thing including the date of all repairs and went beyond normal maintenance records and were so comprehensive that they had a record of every fuel purchase as well as mileage and repairs as inconsequential as an 1157 bulb.

Based on his meticulious care of his trucks I tend to believe he knew what he was talking about!

IT WAS FACTORY INSTALLED AND WAS AN OPTION IN 62 I AM NOT SURE IF IT WAS OFFERED PRIOR TO THAT.

The truck was sold 42 years ago finding the serial # now would be next to impossible.

That's why i posted it here trying to find someone else who had seen or heard of that option.

I was offered the truck before he sold it,but I couldn't bear to give him what he asked for it ,because I watched him pay man he bought it from and knew what he paid for it. He asked me almost double what he had paid,and I was his son in-law and I had driven the truck home for him when he purchased it for FREE.

It was factory and was not aftermarke

The truck was a 62 Model and was purchased originally to haul explosives (blasting caps,dynamite,ammunition). I actually went with him to pick it up when he purchased it from the original owner,a man in Va. Who had 5 H- Models and it was the only one with this option.which he assured us was original. This truck had notebooks that went with it that documented every thing including the date of all repairs and went beyond normal maintenance records and were so comprehensive that they had a record of every fuel purchase as well as mileage and repairs as inconsequential as an 1157 bulb.

Based on his meticulious care of his trucks I tend to believe he knew what he was talking about!

IT WAS FACTORY INSTALLED AND WAS AN OPTION IN 62 I AM NOT SURE IF IT WAS OFFERED PRIOR TO THAT.

Interesting to say the least.Thanks for sharing this information with us.Being that the last year of the H was '62 and the first year of the F was '62,that maybe a spec that was overlapped from the H to the F.Thats what so great about this forum,you learn something every day! :bulldog3:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

in answer to Vanscottbuilders,my father in-law passed away a few years ago.

THE TRUCK WAS SOLD IN '71 but I give that truck credit for my interest in H-Models and my father in-law credit for my lifetime of trucks and trucking.

Years ago people would laughingly ask me what I would have done with my life if Mack had never made trucks?

Maybe to some it is a hobby, but to me it has been an obsession since '69

The year I came home from Viet Nam and bought my first truck a 65 F Model ser#F607T1173.

Thank for your service to OUR country! :twothumbsup:

• Like 1

I finally got around to digging this out.attachicon.gifH Model Air Ride.pdf

Thanks,Dan! Very cool! 607t,never doubted you,just thankful someone had the brochure on it.You ain't gonna get this stuff anywhere else but BMT! :clock_logo: